Really picky boyfriend?

Options
2»

Replies

• 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Meal planning helps. I have a picky husband and 2 picky little boys. Usually I have to plan all my meals and snacks for that day in the morning or the day before and then fill in my calories around what I log for dinner......So if I know we are having cheeseburgers or pizza or spaghetti for dinner, I log that in at the beginning of the day and then plan my other foods around that. It's just easier than eating something different than what they eat....and cheaper. And I eat spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti.....usually :)

Great o:
    Sounds like it would work.
    Just have to decide what we're having LOL.
    I don't have a problem with MY calories, just have a problem finding foods we BOTH enjoy.

I do the same thing. My dh cooks at the weekends because he enjoys it but he lets me know the ingredients so I can plan my other foods and exercise around his often more calorific meals.
    In the week I eat light with the kids at their mealtime and he eats what i cook for him when he gets home,
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Meal planning helps. I have a picky husband and 2 picky little boys. Usually I have to plan all my meals and snacks for that day in the morning or the day before and then fill in my calories around what I log for dinner......So if I know we are having cheeseburgers or pizza or spaghetti for dinner, I log that in at the beginning of the day and then plan my other foods around that. It's just easier than eating something different than what they eat....and cheaper. And I eat spaghetti squash instead of spaghetti.....usually :)

Great o:
    Sounds like it would work.
    Just have to decide what we're having LOL.
    I don't have a problem with MY calories, just have a problem finding foods we BOTH enjoy.

I do the same thing. My dh cooks at the weekends because he enjoys it but he lets me know the ingredients so I can plan my other foods and exercise around his often more calorific meals.
    In the week I eat light with the kids at their mealtime and he eats what i cook for him when he gets home,
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a very nummy recipe that I got on this site and my kids and husband love it. It is low fat Chicken Nuggets with marinara over whole wheat noodles.

For the Chicken Nuggets:
    Take one pack of bonelss/skinless cx breast and cut into bite sized nuggets.
    In a small bowl, put 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    In a separate bowl mix 4-5 Tbsp of Whole Wheat Bread Cumbs and 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese (the powder kind)

Dip the chicken Nuggets in the olive oil, then the bread crumb mix and place onto a greased cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 425..flip them after the first 10 minutes.

While that is baking, boil some whole wheat spaghetti noodles according to package direction.

For Marinara- so simple and delish:
    Take 1 Tbsp of Olive oil and heat in a sauce pan. Add 2 cloves of garlic and cook for about a minute..then add a
    28 oz can of crushed tomoatoes and heat it up. Then add some dried oregano, dried basil, salt and pepper - some crushed red pepper flakes if you like a little spicier sauce.

By this time the nuggets and noodles should be ready to go. Plate the Noodles, put some chicken nuggets on top of the noodles and then puor the marinara sauce over everything.

Serve with a side of steamed broccolli or green beans...so good my kids have asked for it every week since I started making this a month ago.

I have Mexican low fat recipes as well if he likes Mexican, let me know. Enjoy.
  • l00zrr
    l00zrr Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a very nummy recipe that I got on this site and my kids and husband love it. It is low fat Chicken Nuggets with marinara over whole wheat noodles.

For the Chicken Nuggets:
    In a separate bowl mix 4-5 Tbsp of Whole Wheat Bread Cumbs and 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese (the powder kind)

Dip the chicken Nuggets in the olive oil, then the bread crumb mix and place onto a greased cake pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 425..flip them after the first 10 minutes.

While that is baking, boil some whole wheat spaghetti noodles according to package direction.

Take 1 Tbsp of Olive oil and heat in a sauce pan. Add 2 cloves of garlic and cook for about a minute..then add a
    28 oz can of crushed tomoatoes and heat it up. Then add some dried oregano, dried basil, salt and pepper - some crushed red pepper flakes if you like a little spicier sauce.

By this time the nuggets and noodles should be ready to go. Plate the Noodles, put some chicken nuggets on top of the noodles and then puor the marinara sauce over everything.

Serve with a side of steamed broccolli or green beans...so good my kids have asked for it every week since I started making this a month ago.

Holy crap that sounds good.
    He hates Mexican xD Even though he's a full blooded Mexican.
    Thanks so much! I'll have to try this.
  • vernie87wb
    vernie87wb Posts: 33 Member
    Options

For the Chicken Nuggets:

Wow thank you for this recipe! It sounds soooo good! I think Im going to make this tomorrow, actually.
  • Toenges1
    Toenges1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Does he like Buffalo Chicken wings..I have a fantastic recipe for that which is low fat.
  • l00zrr
    Options
    Does he like Buffalo Chicken wings..I have a fantastic recipe for that which is low fat.

I wish LOL.
    It's cool. We're working things out as we speak (:
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

Otherwise I'd tell him to make his own food. I guess I'm lucky my hubby has learned to like a variety of foods for my sake. And I still make him a mean pizza (and other favorite foods) on occasion.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, tofu shirataki noodles may work too. Pasta in itself isn't a bad meal, just make sure you're eating whole wheat pasta, in the correct portions. You can also give eggplant parm a try too.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com - there are a ton of great recipes on there.

Also, do you have a crockpot? There are a lot of great soup/roast recipes that are super easy to make. I'm in love with my crockpot.

I just made the 3 bean crock pot turkey chili this weekend. We had lots of leftovers, so that's always nice. Sometimes I'll have a baked potato w/ some chili on top - very yummy and filling!

I made minestrone last week and also made the loaded baked potato soup as well. Neither one were crockpot recipes but were super easy.

I do lots of meal planning and cook about 4-5 days worth of suppers in one day.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Switch to low fat or fat free cheese for things like lasagna or pizza to save on cals. He may not notice the difference. :wink:

Make your own individual pizzas - load your with veggies and turkey pepperoni, and go easy on the cheese. He can load up on cheese and meat, and go easy on veggies if he wants (my bf and I do this, because I just don't really like a lot of cheese on pizza, and love my veggies!).

As someone else suggested the shirataki noodles are a good alternative to cut cals, but expensive. Just measure your servings out... you'd be surprised at how much your can eat without going over on cals.

I saw a low fat recipe for alfredo sauce in the recipes section on this site... search for that... I never tried it, but could be good.

Or simply go for portion control... he can eat 3 or 4 slices of pizza, while you have maybe 1 plus a big salad or a side of steamed veggies (these won't add hardly any additional prep time to your dinners).

Good luck!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Why can't he make his own food?

This^

I go through a very similar situation with my girlfriend. I do all of the cooking so ultimately I have 100% say in what we eat. I try to be considerate for her though - but if you're doing the cooking then he'll eat what you make or he'll make it himself.
  • l00zrr
    Options
    Why can't he make his own food?

This^

I go through a very similar situation with my girlfriend. I do all of the cooking so ultimately I have 100% say in what we eat. I try to be considerate for her though - but if you're doing the cooking then he'll eat what you make or he'll make it himself.

Scroll up. I already answered him.
    I'm not saying I need to cook for him, he'll do it half the time.
    We just need ideas for foods we'll both enjoy :P
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    If he likes Italian food... My staple is Cajun Shrimp Piccata. Less than 400 calories per serving. - I sometimes double the shrimp though if I'm really hungry... I'm I'm trying to cut some more calories though I serve over spinach or lettuce instead of linguine... It lets me feel like I'm cheating when I'm not :)

Multiply for however many people you would like to serve, each recipe makes 1 serving.

Ingredients:

2 oz. dried whole Wheat pasta, I prefer linguinie, but whatever you like is fine
    3 oz uncooked medium shrimp
    1 tbs smart balance light butter
    2 wedges laughing cow swiss cheese
    1/2 TBS Creole Seasoning
    1/2 TBS Capers
    a squeeze of lemon juice
    Mrs Dash to taste,
    a little water to thin in out
    2 tbs of reduced fat parmesian cheese

Directions:

Boil noodles and shrimp in different pots until both cooked... I like my pasta a little over done so cook it a little longer. Drain both, In the pot with the shrimp, melt in your butter and laughing cow cheese, add about 1/4 cup of water to thin it out, add your creol seasoning, Lemon Juice, mrs. Dash and Capers, pour over your pasta and top with Parmesan Cheese!

Bon Appetite! This makes one LARGE portion for 381 calories, but you could easily break it into 2 servings and serve with a side salad or something. Enjoy!
    about 7 months ago · Delete Post