Basics 101 ...Guidelines to stop over eating - Put Your Fork

Options
I usually tend to WOLF my food down ....then look for more...and more

from the Soutbeach diet website

1. Eat slowly and savor your food. It may seem like an obvious point to make, but remember — it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to signal to your brain that you are full!

2. Begin your meal with a salad or a clear broth as soup.

3. Drink water before and throughout the meal. If you're having trouble slowing down when you eat, put your fork down halfway though your meal and take a minute to sip some water.

4 Chop some of your favorite fresh vegetables and place them on the table with the rest of your dinner. Snack on them frequently, and have another handful when you finish the rest of what's on your plate. Don't like raw veggies? Cook them up instead, and give yourself a generous amount.

5 To avoid unnecessary second helpings, assemble your plate of food and then wrap up and store any leftovers before you begin eating.
:smile:

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I usually tend to WOLF my food down ....then look for more...and more

from the Soutbeach diet website

1. Eat slowly and savor your food. It may seem like an obvious point to make, but remember — it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to signal to your brain that you are full!

2. Begin your meal with a salad or a clear broth as soup.

3. Drink water before and throughout the meal. If you're having trouble slowing down when you eat, put your fork down halfway though your meal and take a minute to sip some water.

4 Chop some of your favorite fresh vegetables and place them on the table with the rest of your dinner. Snack on them frequently, and have another handful when you finish the rest of what's on your plate. Don't like raw veggies? Cook them up instead, and give yourself a generous amount.

5 To avoid unnecessary second helpings, assemble your plate of food and then wrap up and store any leftovers before you begin eating.
    :smile:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Good advice Dave, thanks.
  • katrana
    katrana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    another one I would add-

sit down at a table, NOT in front of the TV (or computer) so you don't mindlessly eat.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, Dave, thanks..

Something else that helps me..

Eat several smaller meals throughout the day, rather than 3 big meals - this keeps me from being ravenously hungry prior to each meal.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    my new favorite thing to do is keep fresh veggies washed and cut in a container in the fridge. when i'm looking for something to nibble- easy access! also fat free or calorie free ranch dressing mixed with fresh salsa makes and excellent veggie dip!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you have to eat something quickly, wear a tight belt or snug pants--you'll feel the pressure and not be as likely to accidentally overeat (cuz you don't have the 20 minute full-signal time).
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    another one I would add-

sit down at a table, NOT in front of the TV (or computer) so you don't mindlessly eat.

LOL- lately, in front of the computer is where I eat... I log my food before I ever take my first bite. Then I read posts from other members while I eat... keeps me focused on what I'm doing! Maybe eventually I'll be able to eat at the table... but right now this works for me.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Always have quick, low-cal snacks on hand so that you KNOW what you can eat in the event of the need for something quick... and you're not tempted to grab some chips and go.
  • eri1mani
    eri1mani Posts: 42
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    use the smaller plate instead of a big dinner plate
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I know you are supposed to sit down and eat dinner at the table, but I eat while I log. It keeps me from wolfing my food down, and gives my body time to adjust to being fed.

Prior to changing my lifestyle, I had times during the day where I was light headed, or really tired. Now that I eat 6 x a day 200-300 cals, and take my time, this no longer happens.

All good info to eat by!

:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Oh and #5...........good way to keep me from snacking while cleaning up!
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    What works for me is when I'm taking a snack, I put a serving of say pretzels in a container and then tie the rest back up and put the bag back, rather than eating with the bag sitting right in front of me. That way I won't be tempted to have second helpings
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I wish you posted this BEFORE I went to brunch! :embarassed:

Good info! :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I wish you posted this BEFORE I went to brunch! :embarassed:

Good info! :smile:

lets go workout on er with each other:wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    thefork.jpg
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I made use of #2 today at the brunch buffet I was at. I ate a huge salad and some shrimp cocktail first and when it came time for anything else, I was already half-way full and wasn't able to eat very much.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I made use of #2 today at the brunch buffet I was at. I ate a huge salad and some shrimp cocktail first and when it came time for anything else, I was already half-way full and wasn't able to eat very much.

and you look maaaavalous!!!
    Happy Easter:flowerforyou:
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    use the smaller plate instead of a big dinner plate

That has SO worked for me! Instead of putting small amounts of food on a bigger plate or bowl, I find something to eat from that my amount of food will completely fill up. It is so easy to trick myself! :D

Another thing that has helped me, and I can't remember where I read it, was to not fill your fork or spoon again until you finish what is in your mouth. While you are chewing, put the utensils down, and only fill them again when your mouth is empty. It is unbelievable how much that makes you slow down eating and how much more you enjoy each mouthful.

All these little tricks really add up!
  • SandraD1064
    Options
    Thanx! :bigsmile: