Changing My Goals for the Holiday Season

Options
I've pretty much decided my primary goal for the holiday's is maintain. My problem is that I've got a friend's birthday next weekend, Thanksgiving 2 weeks after that, my 40th 2 weeks after that and then Christmas 2 weeks after that. I am, not nor will I ever be one of those people who turns down birthday cake or a Christmas dinner. It's simply not going to happen. I'm currently set to lose 1 lb/week and my weeks have pretty much fluctuated between a .6 and a 1.2 loss since I last revised my goals.

So, that being said, I pretty much eat most of the time whatever calories I'm allowed per day so I think I'm going to set my goal back at 1.5 lb/week through the end of the year. I figure that'll help balance out the booze and grandma's cooking from the various festivities and I won't exactly be starving the rest of the time. Right now including my exercise calories I'm at roughly 3000 per day to lose 1 lb/week. I changing the goals will put me at around 2700 or 2800 on a normal exercise day and help budget for the days when I saunter joyfully over my daily goal.

So, other than basically eating better is anyone else modifying their goals for the holiday season?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My goals are set for .5 lbs per week loss and I've actually just been maintaining at that, so I'll probably keep it the same. I'm not turning down dinner either but I am going to try for small portion sizes. I'll also be traveling for the holidays this year and that's always tough. Good luck!
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the honesty.

The main thing I have found in making lifestyle changes is that if it works for you and it adds to your taking care of yourself, right on.

I personally tried to do that but I always found myself feeling worse after it all and it was never really worth it. It took from me more than added to my quality of life and I was definately stuck more to the food and booze rather than enjoying family. I am just one of those people who can't just have one of anything.

Just to share that it is possible to have a life without cake and booze. I had to make that choice or eventually I would always keep taking one step forward and three steps back.

Most people feel that there is no life without the cake and the booze.

I guess everyone has different experiences.

I appreciate your sharing your ideas and experience.

Best.
  • TobiasJamesRayner
    Options
    these things only come round 1s a year just dont over do it enjoy it and start fresh
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 5 week workout challenge.
    That is the only thing I am really changing for the holiday. That and I might have to...well I am not sure. I did well with my cousin's good-bye party, but my family enjoys good meals for the holidays. I am in hope we have chicken scewers or something. (sorry for the spelling, my mother's computer does not have spell check or auto correct!)
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have a very large family of eaters and cooks so I just go with it when we have a family event. My contributions will probably be a little on the healthier side but I figure that Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter are the 3 big family holidays for us and I'm not going to skimp on them. Unfortunately, my birthday is right between Thanksgiving and Christmas. My only concession on that front is I won't have cake at home but I've already been told by my coworkers that we're having a party and with my coworkers getting trashed is a defense mechanism:)