Elliptical Trainer?

Options
There are two types of Elliptical's at my gym, and I did one for 15 minutes & the other for 10, but when I type in Elliptical trainer for 25 minutes here on myfitnesspal, it's saying I burned 338 calories, I think that's way high. When this happens should I pay more attention to the number on machine rather than here, usually I do pay attention to the machine but I totally drew a blank after I left. What do you guys think, and I'm not planning to eat back the calories I've already got my dinner figured into my diary, but I just think it's way high.

Replies

• sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    well how hard were you working out on it?

it's possible, if you're at the 200 pound mark that you burned that. on average, at 150 pounds, you burn 10 cals per minute.
  • MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was on the elliptical for 22 minutes today and burned 250 calories. I weigh 163 and I always input my weight when I am on the machines too...do you make sure you put your weight in?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The elliptical entry in the database is about as accurate as a broken clock. Every once in a while, it'll be dead on accurate, but most of the time... nada. :wink: It's doesn't include any variables for your speed or resistance, so it's a pure guess. For walking or running, you go by your pace, so the MFP readings are a lot closer.

I don't have a smartphone so I don't log my exercise through it, but I keep my phone with me at the gym and create a note for myself keeping track of what I burned on the treadmill, bike, elliptical, etc.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    This is precisely the reason I purchased an HRM (heart rate monitor). MFP numbers that are given for calories burned during any exercise returns much higher numbers than my actual burn. Unless I am using a device that knows my age, height, weight, gender and heart rate at the time of exercise...I don't trust it..and that includes the machines at the gym. So my answer is don't trust neither (the machine or mfp).

Before I invested in my hrm, I would go off of what MFP told me I burned s then I would go over my calories without knowing it. I've tested it out before, I would jump rope for 30 minutes and MFP will tell me I burned 450 cals when in fact, I only burned 315 cals...that is a huge discrepency! If you are serious about weight loss, invest in something that knows all of those factors I named above about you and you will be on the right track, otherwise using anything else will only frustrate and discourage you.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    the calorie counts on MFP are averages, so low for some people, high for others. I'm 163 lbs and 5'4" and I find they are high for me, so I take the numbers off of the machine, but if I'm not using a machine, I estimate based on how long/hard I worked out. I don't tend to eat back my exercise calories, so it doesn't really matter at this point, but someday I might want them and then I'll want accurate numbers.
  • Babyblueeyez4O5
    Babyblueeyez4O5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    good question I have an Elliptical, i need to use more.. If it is giving you different calories burned I need to compare mine to MFP..
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I put what is on the machine in...not what mfp has
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    In my experience the walking/running numbers on MFP are close, but the Elliptical numbers are VERY high. Most of the time they are almost double what they should be. Not sure why they are so bad while the walking running numbers are much closer to being accurate. I don't have a HRM, but the Elliptical I use does and has weight/age input so I use the machines numbers until I can get a HRM.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I go based on the machines at the gym. I enter my weight and then adjust the workout on MFP to equal the actual calories burned. Usually I am working out on the orbital/arc trainer and I burn a ton more there than on the regular elliptical, but the orbital/arc isn't an option when logging so I log elliptical and add however minutes necessary to hit my calories burned.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree with pannelkat. A heart rate monitor is a great investment in your health, in my opinion. You enter your age and current weight, so it knows much better what you are really burning with your workouts. You can get a good one for $50 or less. I have to laugh when I see the activity calories on here. For instance, today I had to put that I did "aerobics" (so generic) for 71 minutes to get the calories close to what my trusty HRM told me I really did. Reality is I did 55 minutes. I don't care about the minutes on here, but I do want the calories to be right.
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a little note book that I have with me at the gym. I write the time, distance, and calories burned for all equipment that has counters. of course you never know if the one at the gym is accurate or not either. I tend to go low on exercise calories. MHO. :)

Also you can change the calories in the data base.
  • DivaRenae
    Options
    You can change your calories burned once you enter your Exercise...thats what I had to do to get the correct caloric intake...I juss change what MFP put.
  • Kayraysmommy2209
    Options
    This is precisely the reason I purchased an HRM (heart rate monitor). MFP numbers that are given for calories burned during any exercise returns much higher numbers than my actual burn. Unless I am using a device that knows my age, height, weight, gender and heart rate at the time of exercise...I don't trust it..and that includes the machines at the gym. So my answer is don't trust neither (the machine or mfp).

Before I invested in my hrm, I would go off of what MFP told me I burned s then I would go over my calories without knowing it. I've tested it out before, I would jump rope for 30 minutes and MFP will tell me I burned 450 cals when in fact, I only burned 315 cals...that is a huge discrepency! If you are serious about weight loss, invest in something that knows all of those factors I named above about you and you will be on the right track, otherwise using anything else will only frustrate and discourage you.
    I agree here. Definiately invest in a HRM. my tread mill will tell me I burn 300 and something when I have only burned 270 according to my HRM. I love it, I have a Polar FT4. It works great for just the basics and when you input your time on MFP you can also input your calories according to the HRM. Hope this helps, I know some others have probably suggested this as well. Good Luck!