Anyone else hate sport?

Options

Replies

• AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I sympathise with OP to a great degree - I get excited when England play in the World or European Cup, but apart from that team games leave me with a 'so what' reaction and I cba to invest my time.

I think you have to have a vested interest in what's happening or a love for the form. That's why my only sport is Women's Beach Volleyball
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Same! I think a lot of them are simply ridiculous, too. Like football. Pro football players get SO much money (hell, even the college players at my University get so much money in that they get scholarships), and for what? For being able to catch and kick well? For being able to tackle well? I don't care how well you can play football, you have to realize that it's FOOTBALL. I can't stand how much value is placed on it.
    Swimming is not a team sport, but that one, too.
    I hate it when we reward people for doing normal things FAST.

There are a few sports, tennis, for example, that I think are worth recognition. Not that I think pro tennis players should be payed that much. Or that people "should" be entertained by watching tennis. I just find it infinitely more commendable than many other sports.

There are countless people who love watching team sports (and often while eating, haha) who also hate exercising. I find this ironic, but to each his own I suppose.

So why is tennis so great. IMO its a pansy sport :P

As a student athlete who got a scholarship I would like you to see why I don't deserve it. I get beat on all day at practice, come home after two-a-days bruised and bleeding, and still have to manage good grades or i lose my college funds. I bust my *kitten* every single day of the year to get stronger, faster, and better. I am little and am tackle girls that are MUCH bigger than me, I get catch and throw well, and i can sprint down the feild fast. It takes hard work and dedication to build up the skills that an athlete has. I am only a little college student, hardly of importance. I look up to professionals with awe and evny.

If you don't think there is any value, then I don't know what to say >.<
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I like baskeball and football and sometimes soccer only problem I have is that I often wnd up wanting to play especially if its bball
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Being a musician, I have a lot of musician friends. So many hate sports. Therea a psychology behind this I won't get into, but I love sports. Baseball, basketball, and football.

i love sports w finesse like basketball and baseball. Both involve physical shape and athleticism, but are best when there's a mental chess match element to them.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    Options
    Pro football players get SO much money (hell, even the college players at my University get so much money in that they get scholarships), and for what? For being able to catch and kick well? For being able to tackle well? I don't care how well you can play football, you have to realize that it's FOOTBALL. I can't stand how much value is placed on it.
    They generate millions in revenue, driving ticket and merchandising sales. Why shouldn't they get a fat cut of what comes in? Nobody begrudges an artist that makes millions from their talent. Why should anyone begrudge a professional athlete that makes millions from their talent?

Let people knock capitalism because they aren't making millions. If this point had merit, it would only be if all of us could easily, without effort or years of gritty determination, could be these athletes. We can't, most can't. Hence millions.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Being a musician, I have a lot of musician friends. So many hate sports. Therea a psychology behind this I won't get into, but I love sports. Baseball, basketball, and football.

i love sports w finesse like basketball and baseball. Both involve physical shape and athleticism, but are best when there's a mental chess match element to them.

I am a musician! So, what is the psychology? I haven't heard this before.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    Options
    This is not negative, just a difference in how ppl think. Good music is a complete cohesion. So in essence, a good band or artist isn't competitive. Sports are inately competitive.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    Options
    PS this is just a theory. Some musicians can or are both.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    SuperBowlShuffle.jpg
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    To the O/P, no I am not like that at all. If I could make a living playing football, I would totally do it. But the professional women's football league is "volunteer." I would soooo do it if I could do that as my career.

I love sports. I love playing, I love watching, and I love even just practicing in a backyard game because it is not only fun, but keeps my body and mind in shape.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    Options
    SuperBowlShuffle.jpg

"i can dance and you will see, that others-they all learn from me."
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love exercising, but I have never had the slightest, tiniest interest in team sports. I don't like playing them because I am not a team player, and I don't watch them because I have less than no interest in sitting on my *kitten* watching other people exercise. I'd rather spend the time doing it myself.

Anyone else?

Yep. I'm exactly the same way. I think there must be a gene for "team identification", so that a person can say: "That's MY team!" even when they aren't playing on it. I entirely lack that gene. I don't care at *all* about watching sports on TV. I'd rather watch paint dry.

When my friends plunge into *literal* depression because "their team" lost, it confuses me greatly. I consider it a distinct advantage that my emotional state is not tied to the performance of a group of random athletes, none of whom I know or care about.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    It is a free country,you don`t like then don`t watch...do what makes you happy,live and let live and all will be good. :drinker:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I cant imagine not enjoying any sports.

i can sit on my *kitten* and watch other people act in movies, tv and i can watch other people exercise as well. its all enjoyable. :)

I admit, I would far rather be on stage myself than watch tv as well. I don't really watch tv at all, but I especially hate sport!

Me too. Give me the footlights, not the floodlights!

Never really liked sports as a participant or spectator.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    "The principle is competing against yourself. It's about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before." -
    -- Steve Young
  • Andi67
    Andi67 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It is a free country,you don`t like then don`t watch...do what makes you happy,live and let live and all will be good. :drinker:
    [/quote
    Agreed! How can you not like watching young men bend over in tight pants! Geez! To each their own!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I hate sports as well-- my hubby isn't a big fan. Sometimes he likes a football game and I'll watch it with him but generally I'm non-competitive. My ex had this huge thing with video games and I didn't get that either.

P.S. I also don't like exercise lol
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    SuperBowlShuffle.jpg

Gotta have the fridge!!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Huuuuuuge sports fan. Watching sunday night foosball in fact.
    Brings back great memories of going to games with my dad as a kid, or my brother taking me baseball or when all of us were together talking sports. Good times.
    It's much more than just the competitive aspect and the excitement from watching it. It's real!
    Way better than watching tulips grow or bird watching or afghan knitting. Try it sometime, you may like it. It's not like they picked a bunch of random guys and put em on the field, they are the best of the best, the most athletically gifted in that given sport compete.

Yea complain how much money they make when Joe Schmoe actor makes $20 million per movie or the head of some bankrupt company got a $15 million bonus.
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Love team sports I played: volleyball, basketball, softball, soccer growing up