Question for the guys...

Options
My husband just started MFP this week. His cals are set to 1,930/day, not counting exercise. Well, we just bicycled today and his HRM read that he burned 1,300 cals! So after entering breakfast, lunch, and a protein shake he has around 2,300 cals still to eat!!!

My question is, how important is it that he eat all these???? He has NO idea what to eat for his last meal and a few snacks. Guys, do you have this problem?? Or is it really even a problem?? Thanks!

Replies

• kendallalissa
    Options
    My husband just started MFP this week. His cals are set to 1,930/day, not counting exercise. Well, we just bicycled today and his HRM read that he burned 1,300 cals! So after entering breakfast, lunch, and a protein shake he has around 2,300 cals still to eat!!!

My question is, how important is it that he eat all these???? He has NO idea what to eat for his last meal and a few snacks. Guys, do you have this problem?? Or is it really even a problem?? Thanks!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    my first thought is that was one hell of a bike ride to burn 1300 calories
    it is possible but it is really high unless it was very intense (sweating) and extended time

peanut butter
    almonds
    pumkin seeds
    cheese
    steak

these things all have alot of calories and are tasty
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I know I dont always eat my caleries, some on here swear by it. I just try and eat good and use this as a tool to keep track and to tell me when I may not be eating as good as I think I am.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Dave - my thoughts exactly about the large amount of cals burned! I have an HRM too and so I'm pretty familiar with cals burned. This was the first time he had used his new HRM.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Dave - my thoughts exactly about the large amount of cals burned! I have an HRM too and so I'm pretty familiar with cals burned. This was the first time he had used his new HRM.

was your number burned in line with something usual?

as far as eating them all...depends on your goals

I REALLY REALLY hope your thread doesnt turn into that debate (STAY AWAY BANKS)
    but I would eat most of them for a gradual and maintainable weight loss
  • kendall_dirtrider
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys (I'm the husband). Turns out I was reading the wrong setting on the HRM. My cals burned were more like 700.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys (I'm the husband). Turns out I was reading the wrong setting on the HRM. My cals burned were more like 700.

Perfect!!:smokin:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

good job''

now have a nice steak!!!

you earned it
  • mom24qties
    mom24qties Posts: 112
    Options

Perfect!!:smokin:

Woo girl you are lookin' SMOKIN" yourself!!:wink:
  • NavyFMFCorpsman
    Options
    Well for a 700 cal bike ride that could be normal of course for how hard you exert yourself. That is good but how many times a week are you doing this? Sounds like you have a good plan set out by what your wife said. I generally have a protein shake in the morning or immediately after the workout. Then work your meals around what you feel you need to intake. I would stick to low carb in the dinner portion though that way to keep the insulin levels down. If you can eat cottage cheese (low fat) or casien based protein at night 1.5hrs before bed. Hope that helps.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    700 cals is what my HRM gives me for an hour ride, avg. 145-150 BPM. I try to get a good mix of protein and carb to fuel these workouts. Use good protein sources and try to keep the fat & cholesterol down. That is one of my biggest concerns. Good job and good luck!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just a few questions...

...is he much more out of shape than you, and possibly struggling to keep up?
    ...is his bike geared correctly (and not to be insulting but he does understand how bike gears/cadence work - some people never get taught and struggle)?
    ...is his heart rate monitor calibrated correctly (if he's using one)?

Last time I burnt 2k calories on a bike ride was when I ended up going the wrong way off a trail and got lost :laugh:

Anyways, as for food, with that much extra tell him to grab a slice of cheesecake, lol. Seriously though, peanut butter is awesome for taking up extra calories, so is nutella. Try a great big apple with some peanut butter inside. If he burnt that much he may have a hard time eating all the extra food... in my experience if you burn that much there's no way to make it all up without making yourself sick gorging or eating a really unhealthy meal. I wouldn't stress it.