Under active Thyroid - any suggestions??

Options
I just found out my Thyroid is considered non-active - "conked out" was my Dr's description. So now I'm taking a pill to replace the hormones that my thryoid is supposed to be making.

The weird thing is that even tho' my thyroid is NOT working - somehow I've been able to still lose 68 lbs by eating wisely and exercising and using MFP. Really weird, according to my Doctor, because under active thyroid usually slows down metabolism to the point that weight loss is really difficult.

I did learn that taking calcium supplements too soon after taking the medicine isn't wise, because the calcium affects the absorption of the medicine. Also too much fiber can cause problems with absorption.

So does anyone have any suggestions or advice on do's & dont's as far as other food choices?? Or just advice in general??

Thanks!!

Replies

• sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Congrats to losing weight despite the thyroid!!! It is definitely not easy to do. I have had thyroid for the last 7 years and take a supplement for both T4 and T3 levels. Supplements in general should be taken 4 hours after your medication at least and definitely continue to be active and eat a clean whole foods diet!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You have done awesome, and I love to hear another success story of someone with an underactive thyroid. I have been on Synthroid for over 10 years and I never once let it be an excuse for the weight I had gained.

I know that you shouldn't take it near iron as well, so if you take your meds in the morning take your multi-vitamin at night. Otherwise I have no suggestions. When I started the meds I thought I would feel so much better and I didn't notice a differance at all lol, but about 5 months ago I decided to stop my meds and I really did feel sluggish so I re-did my blood work and it had 'conked out' again! It's safe to say that the meds are for life.

Hopefully, if you feel slugglish or cold or any other of the side effects, that the meds conquor all those for you!

Congrats again on your success.
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I too have Hypothyroidism (under active thyroid). I take my pill 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I don't eat for at least 30 minutes but normally and hour after taking my pill & I don't take any other pills (vitamins, anti-acid pills, etc.) until at least 4 hours after taking my thryroid pill. This is what both the doc and the bottle says on mine.

Once you get the meds in your system depending on how bad it is...you should feel a difference. I can tell when I forgot to take it because I am more sluggish and moody. What is the amount they have you on right now?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Get a full list of recommendations from your doc, but I've been told by both the pharmacist AND the doctor that I should avoid not only supplements, but the foods containing calcium and iron for a couple of hours before and after (and you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach). So when I have breakfast I have it later than I used to, and I don't put milk in my first coffee of the day.
    Also, my doctor hasn't told me this, but I've read that certain foods like brocolli and cauliflower also have an adverse effect.

Good luck.
  • Missrunnerpants
    Missrunnerpants Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i had to have my thyroid taken out in 2005 due to aggressive thyroid disease. i have been on thyroid supplements since (synthroid and cytomel) and have been to slowly but effectively gain/maintain weight.

most anything counteracts with your thyroid supplement. your medication will work best if taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a big glass of water. you shouldn't eat within 30 minutes of taking it and not take any other pills (including supplements) for at least an hour after. it interacts with literally everything and to work best it needs to be the only thing in your system. some people i know actually set an alarm clock in the middle of the night, wake up, take it and go back to sleep. i'm not that dedicated - i like my sleep! ha.

i have also noticed due to lack of natural metabolism i have a harder time breaking down complex carbohydrates. so i eat pasta & potatoes sparingly and get most of my grains from wild rice, quiona, and small servings of bread. there is a great book out there my mary shomodon (spl?) called "the thyroid diet." while i necessarily agree with everything in it, i believe it has some great suggestions and guidelines. i have also found taking a green tea supplement in the afternoons helps boost my metabolism to get over the late afternoon lag.

hope that helps!
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    BUMP :sad:
    I had an OVER active thyroid! LOVED the skinny me ( although I was told I would die) My hubby wanted a son and that wasnt possible with my overactive thyroid. So I consumed the Radio active Iodine and now I struggle with weight! Im interested in any opinions as well, good luck to all of the people suffering from this!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Congratulations for your progress! That's wonderful.

Be sure to ask your pharmacist the best way/time to take your Rx- I was advised to take it first thing in the AM- 2 hrs before I eat- and not to take ANY thing else along w/ it- including pain relievers/supplements/other Rx.

I was also advised to make sure I take it w/ a full (8 oz) glass of water- it will affect its effectiveness if you only take a small drink

I've found the easiest way to accomplish that is to take it in the wee hrs of the AM ( when I get up to use the bathroom- like around 4 AM)....then I know for sure I'm not going to overlap w/ breakfast or the other Rx I need to take too.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    What medication are you on to treat your thyroid?
  • michelledruss
    michelledruss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid, diagnosed a year ago in August. I take Synthroid and T3(cytomel). I was not considered overweight on this but my body was fatigued, tired, I had migraines and pre diabetes. I now feel great after I have adjusted things and got into a healthy diet and active workout schedule. I do not eat processed foods - I try not to eat anything out of a box and I have tried to cut almost all sugars out of my diet and feel great doing so. That would be my suggestion. Dr. Teitelbaum has done some great research on thyroid. I also take D-Ribose to help with cellular energy.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I am also taking Synthroid (75mcg) daily and I haven't seen any adverse effects in regards to my weight loss. I don't take any other medication or supplements.

I do wonder if all my years of yo-yo dieting had anything to do with my underactive thyroid. I have to go back for a blood test in a couple weeks and I'm going to ask my Dr. his opinion.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion is to keep Soy intake to 30 mg or less per day. This is coming from a dairy allergic person which trust me...it's not easy but I do it. Too much soy can aggravate hypothyroid conditions. Broccoli and Cauliflower are perfectly fine in a serving size amount each day. This advice is from my doctor to me. Hope it helps!
  • ChangingTami
    ChangingTami Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 14 years ago, it is genetic for both my sister and I have it......at times it is not easy but when you levels are correct weight lose is pretty normal. I take my Synthroid when I first get up and do not eat for 1/2 hr to an hr after. I do take a vitamin but I take it prior to going to bed.

I must say since I have been making healthier changes in my life like eating Organic and exercising my meds have been lowered twice in the past month an a half from 150 to 137 now 125.

It is best that you do as your doctor directs you to do. Don't put off having your blood checked and don't skip your meds.

Awesome job on you weight lose!!
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking a 25mg dose of Levothyroxine. Although the Dr. said the dosage might increase as we work to get the thryoid numbers where they're supposed to be.

I also take prescription Losartan for high blood pressure. Although the Dr. said that in some cases, under active thryoid causes increased blood pressure - so....if we can get the thryoid regulated, the blood pressure numbers might go down and possibly we'll be able to reduce the Losartan dosage......

The blood tests also showed that my Cholesterol numbers aren't that great - but similar to the blood pressure scenario - the lack of thyroid hormone could cause increased cholesterol numbers. So for now I've been told to incorporate a bit more oatmeal in my diet to help naturally lower the cholesterol until we get the thryroid issue under control. And then re-evaluate whether to medicate for the cholesterol.

What's really weird is that I didn't show any of the normal symptoms indicating under-active thryoid. I wasn't tired or fatigued - no dry skin, no dry, brittle hair - nothing......
    The reason we did the blood work was to check my blood glucose because of diabetes in my family tree. That test I passed with flying colors - LOL

Thank You everyone for the support, advice & suggestions - NOW I have some ideas on what questions I need to specifically ask my Dr. when I call her tomorrow.

((HUGS)) to you all......

Prairie Rose
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    That is interesting that you went in looking for diabetes and found hypothyroidism, because that's exactly how I found out I had it too.

Anyway, everyone is different. I find that eating or not eating certain foods, like soy, broccoli, strawberries, etc don't affect me too much. Other hypos say it does matter.

What is most important is that you take your medication the same way every day, so when you get your blood tests, your doctor can get a good idea of what is going on. You don't want it to absorb well one day and not absorb the next. Just take it on an empty stomach, and try to take it at the same time everyday.

I suggest going to the library to do some research on your thyroid, but take all the information with a grain of salt. It can get depressing to read about everyone else's struggles with it, but you can also find some helpful information that way.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion about the Library - I did do some research on WebMD.com and the Mayo Clinic's website, which was really helpful. And I realize that we are all different, and medications affect people differently, but I just want to be properly informed about my condition. Health savvy!!!!!

To clarify, when I had the blood drawn for all these tests, the original reason was to check to make sure my High Blood pressure meds weren't negatively affecting my kidneys & liver. I just had the whole blood panel evaluated because it had been years since I'd been tested for all those things. Yes, there is diabetes in my extended family - and I just meant that of all possible complications - I would've guessed a problem with diabetes, not Thyroid.
    I consider myself extremely lucky that I passed the diabetes test - I have the feeling hypothyroidism is a more manageable condition than diabetes!!!

Thanks again to all those that commented!

~~PR
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I think low thyroid makes it easier to gain, but not much harder to lose. Same with antidepressants. However, one thing that did make it harder for me to lose was feeling like crud all the time due to inadaquate thyroid replacement. The docs had be at 3.5 TSH, which is high enough for some doctors to diagnose as subclinical low thyroid. My new doc added T3, essentially increasing my dose by 22%, and I have felt sooooo much better ever since. And feeling better means taking a bike ride in the park instead of falling asleep on the couch.
  • blueslady155
    Options
    I to have under active thyroid and interested in how to lose weight because it as just seem to of piled on.
    I have lately had the thyroid go out of control after years of being level. I have had to up my dosage over the last
    six months and still the doctor is trying to find the correct dosage.
    I have read about the book and will take a look to find it.
    Because I want to lose some weight and find this website since I joined last week useful.
    Thank you for your advice. Green tea etc.,
    You just take the tablets that many years you forget all the tings you were told by the doctor.
    :happy:
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    I suggest going to the library to do some research on your thyroid, but take all the information with a grain of salt. It can get depressing to read about everyone else's struggles with it, but you can also find some helpful information that way.

Good advise! I was just diagnosed Wednesday. I was devastated. I know...it could be worse, but I've already had a rough year! I didn't think I would have had hypo. I went for ferritin testing and vitamin D also because I have been loosing some hair. I really thought it was more so due to extreme stress this year. Well, turns out I have all 3, low ferritin (24!), low vitamin D and hypo. I'm only 30 years old!! lol

I know I have been extremely emotional this weekend reading all the horror stories on some of the "thyroid" websites. Helpful peole and helpful info, but it literally has me freaking out because people on the sites are saying that my doc should have started me out on a higher does of med and all this other stuff. She is having me take Vitamin D supps too. She said Iron ferritin was fine, but I know its not and is low.

Well, I've said all that to say this.....the above poster is right, take everything with a grain of salt. Just because someone else has X or Y or Z going on, doesn't mean you will either. (Now, if I can just remember that too)

(PS sorry I hijacked the thead :)