How many pairs of running shoes do you got?

Options
I ordered two pairs of New Balance 860s and have asic 1150s right now to start a rotation for my training,,.. is three pairs enough if I'm trying to do a 10-12 month marathon training program? Also, is it even worth it to buy expensive (>$150) shoes just for the marathon or should I just buy another pair of the shoes I train with? Thanks

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I...uh...have 13 pair. Don't judge me!!!!

Don't feel the need to spend a ton on a pair of shoes for any reason. Find a model or style that suits your style and go with it, no matter the price tag.

I would highly suggest not "breaking in" a new pair of ANY shoes on a long run (whatever is long for you, and definitely not on a half or full Marathon).
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    2 current pairs, which 1 I constantly use, if you were talking soccer shoes. Geez, I have way too many. Lol
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have 2, but I just got the second pair a few days ago and actually haven't worn them yet. I did my long run today, so I wore my shoes I've been running in. I'll wear my new ones when I go running Tuesday.

There's no need to spend more than $150 on a good pair of shoes. Brooks, Asics, Mizunos, etc...all have good shoes that are closer to $100.

And you really only need to get new shoes every 300-500 miles, so it just depends on what terrain you're running on (might want to have a separate pair for trails than road) and how many miles you log/week.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    3!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Don't feel the need to spend a ton on a pair of shoes for any reason. Find a model or style that suits your style and go with it, no matter the price tag.

I would highly suggest not "breaking in" a new pair of ANY shoes on a long run (whatever is long for you, and definitely not on a half or full Marathon).

This. Definitely do not buy new shoes just for a marathon, unless you're gonna wear them for a few months first! I have not done a marathon, but I just ran my first half marathon. The best advice I got was to not do anything new the day of the marathon, not wear anything new (except maybe the race tee shirt), not eat anything new. Your long runs are for experimenting and trying stuff out to see what works.

I have 2 pairs of shoes that I alternated using while training for my half. My old pair are worn out now and the "new" ones broken in, so I need a new pair. I think 2 pairs that you alternate are plenty.

Good luck!
  • Athena413
    Options
    Also - if you're doing any sort of cross-training - don't wear your running shoes. Your running shoes should be just that...running shoes.

They can be identical to the shoes you run in, but you need to have a pair that is specifically for running or else you might get some funny wear patterns on them.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

I'm curious...are these 13 pairs of shoes that you are currently using? or do you keep the old worn out ones? That's a lot of shoes! :)
  • klindemoen17
    klindemoen17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have Three pairs of running shoes. One I ran my marathon in .Ive been told after the final 26 miles they should "retire" but I still love them! I went to a specialized running store to be sure I was buying proper shoes and I think it was helpful but not something you have to do- I think I paid about 120? for them. I bought the same brand (asics- my fav) from a kohls after the marathon and they seem to be just fine and they were 1/3 of the price! Some think its good to fitted, I dont know if I believe that or not. Im sure it all depends on your feet/arches but I generally just go for support and comfort. My marathon training was 4 months and I wore the same shoes the entire time. I think 2 should be enough! GOOD LUCK have fun training!!:)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I have one pair of vibrams. Don't have to worry about the padding wearing out :laugh: so I haven't bothered with another pair yet.
  • wbgolden
    Options

I'm curious...are these 13 pairs of shoes that you are currently using? or do you keep the old worn out ones? That's a lot of shoes! :)

LOL. I use them all, believe it or not. Some I wear more than others, but usually I just by taking a quick look and deciding which one "sounds" best for that day.

I have only retired on pair of shoes so far, my first Asics 1150's. The more worn out they get, the better they feel sometimes. Maybe I should grab those 1150's and try them again.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have one pair of vibrams. Don't have to worry about the padding wearing out :laugh: so I haven't bothered with another pair yet.

I've so wanted to try a pair, but how to they fair in winter climates and for us freaks with long *kitten* second toes? LOL.
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I hear that, I have 2 vibrams (Bilka LS and KSO) when trail running I appricate the extra tread of the bilkas
  • wbgolden
    Options

I've so wanted to try a pair, but how to they fair in winter climates and for us freaks with long *kitten* second toes? LOL.

Size them to your longest toe. I ran in my TrekSports all last winter and my feet were fine. It got really cold once and the balls of my feet went a little numb. But once that pre-numb feeling went away (weird) it was all good. :)
  • Ebbykins
    Options

Size them to your longest toe. I ran in my TrekSports all last winter and my feet were fine. It got really cold once and the balls of my feet went a little numb. But once that pre-numb feeling went away (weird) it was all good. :)

Ahhh yes the pre-numb feeling, I enjoy my winter runs, my limit is -30 C before the windchill. I just googled the vibrams and it appears some people have had success ordering them a size larger, but my issue is my left foot is a fair bit longer than my right foot, I'm a total quasimodo when it comes to my feet, lol. I shall try to size some on when I get the chance, but I think I'll stick to the runners until spring as the snow gets kinda deep some mornings. Yay winter... :)
  • Athena413
    Options

Vibrams aren't for everyone - just know that. Some people can run in them just fine, but a lot of people who pronate really bad or need that extra arch support really shouldn't wear them unless they're just doing shorter runs. Vibrams are made for the ideal foot, so if you get a pair, just be careful and listen to your body.
  • Ebbykins
    Options

Vibrams aren't for everyone - just know that. Some people can run in them just fine, but a lot of people who pronate really bad or need that extra arch support really shouldn't wear them unless they're just doing shorter runs. Vibrams are made for the ideal foot, so if you get a pair, just be careful and listen to your body.

Thanks! I am a neutral arch and don't over pronate very much but my feet are problematic in other ways for most shoe fits, so I will keep that in mind, I was going with my instincts to avoid them altogether because of it, but was so curious what the raves on them were all about. I work up into 10-20k distances and would hate to get a stress fracture or shin splints.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Ahhh yes the pre-numb feeling, I enjoy my winter runs, my limit is -30 C before the windchill. I just googled the vibrams and it appears some people have had success ordering them a size larger, but my issue is my left foot is a fair bit longer than my right foot, I'm a total quasimodo when it comes to my feet, lol. I shall try to size some on when I get the chance, but I think I'll stick to the runners until spring as the snow gets kinda deep some mornings. Yay winter... :)

-30c??? I didn't know that humans could even survive in that kind of temperature, are you some kind of superhuman?
    Can you tell I live in sunny Australia?
  • Ebbykins
    Options

-30c??? I didn't know that humans could even survive in that kind of temperature, are you some kind of superhuman?
    Can you tell I live in sunny Australia?

LOL! No I'm no super human, just have super thermal socks, under garments and lots of layers. You get used to it after a while I swear! Well kind of used to it, last year was the worst winter we've had where I live on record for cold temperatures like this in such a long stretch. In the -25 to -40 (with windchill on top of that) range for 5 weeks in a row. :O
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Hmm those minimalist shoes are tempting but Im not sure if they're for me - I kinda overpronate and my feet hurt real bad if I don't use stability shoes...
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

For the record I both have low arches AND pronate (wait, overpronate? one of those). And they are fine, I don't get shin splints in them other than when I FIRST started running and just didn't have the muscle strength there and since humans ran basically barefoot for thousands of years I doubt that as many people naturally have the SERIOUS FOOT PROBLEMS our podiatrists and running shoe companies want us in believe we have. I believe those people DO exist but I think they are the minority, not the people with "ideal" feet.

But you cannot NOT NOT heel strike in them so I really don't suggest people who run in regular shoes switch immediately, do some exercises and learn to at least strike midfoot in your shoes before you switch or you could really hurt yourself.