I'm way over on sugar help!

Options
ocean26
ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
I had a little breakfast and lunch today - banana and greek yogurt. So i had a lot of snack food and i ate an apple, 30 grapes, a pear, 10 baby carrots, and 2 nature valley granola bars. This added up to about 700 calories but 91 sugars! I have -94 sugars!! is this a bad thing??

Replies

• ocean26
    ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had a little breakfast and lunch today - banana and greek yogurt. So i had a lot of snack food and i ate an apple, 30 grapes, a pear, 10 baby carrots, and 2 nature valley granola bars. This added up to about 700 calories but 91 sugars! I have -94 sugars!! is this a bad thing??
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

its nothing to write home about

carrots have alot of sugar
    grapes have alot of sugar

how much sugar was in the granola bars?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I've been told that there is a difference between "good" sugar (from fruits, etc.- natural sugar) and "bad" sugar (high fructose corn syrup, etc.- un-natural). So if, you're over on sugar, according to what I've heard, if it's natural sugar it's not a big deal, but if you're over because of a large amount of high fructose corn syrup, then you probably should cut back. Don't know how accurate that is, but that's what I hear :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    It's probably not a BAD thing, but you might want to limit snack/granola bars of any sort and add a variety of veggies and protein to your diet.

The great thing about MFP is that you can analyze your food choices so you make better ones in the future.

Take it one day at a time and take baby steps. :bigsmile:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've been told that there is a difference between "good" sugar (from fruits, etc.- natural sugar) and "bad" sugar (high fructose corn syrup, etc.- un-natural). So if, you're over on sugar, according to what I've heard, if it's natural sugar it's not a big deal, but if you're over because of a large amount of high fructose corn syrup, then you probably should cut back. Don't know how accurate that is, but that's what I hear :smile:

I've heard that as well. Unfortunately for MY body, sugar is sugar and I do not process it well. I don't eat a lot of fruits, more veggies because of this. But I DO love my fruits and will of course pick that over any sort of processed sugar. :bigsmile:
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I was having the same issue, I was going over on veggies on some days! I talked to my boss, who is an RD and is extremely well qualified, and she said to throw out the count from fruits and veggies. I asked her specifically about "sugar being sugar" as I had read that lots of places. She said that is not true, our bodies process natural sugars far differently than they do processed sugar. The research on this, and even "high/low GI" foods, is not complete so there is no way to say for sure how we process these things but if you look at history, the more processed sugars that have come into the American diet, the larger we have become.