Is this an eating disorder?

Options
:smile: :smile: :smile: I read that there were 2 types of bulimia: Purging- in which there are binges and then forced vomiting or laxatives, and nonpurging- when instead of vomiting the person then starves themselves or exercises excessively to lose weight. I am 1kg overweight but thats mainly through binges.

My regular day WAS like this:
Breakfast- oats with light milk, some cereal on top 300 calories approx
Recess- fruit or 2, apprx 150-200 calories
Lunch- 2 slices multigrain bread, some veggies and 1 can of tuna, 300 calories approx
After school- oranges + glass of lite milk, 250 calories approx
Dinner: Lentils + 2 slices bread, salad, 400 calories approx
Limited exercise, netball 2 times a week, one hour sessions.

NOW:
I eat a bit of breakfast, but then skip lunch (throw a whole sandwich in the bin), eat celery and carrot sticks for breakfast.
After I come home, I binge because I've eaten virtually nothing all morning (calorie restriction/starvation on purpose so that then I wont gain weight from the previous days binge). Often I have fruit, glass of milk, 3-4 weetbix, some oats, 1 egg, any junk I can find (my family dont bring much home). Then I exercise like a nut, going on a 6-7 km walk, dancing for 1/2-1 hr etc
Then the next day I calorie restrict or starve myself, and the cycle repeats again.
I have to say I'm not a big water drinker, if that helps.
I've done eating disorder quizzes and stuff, and they all suggest I either have a disorder or have a strong chance of getting one, but the disorder itself is not specified.
Please do not ask me to get help, I have confided in a few people and have a very valid reason for seeking professional support.
SO, everyone, do I have an eating disorder? Is it anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorder? A combination of the 3?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• Rain_Howard
    Options
    In my non professional opinion I would say that, yes, you most likely either have a disorder or are very close to developing one.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You answered your own question and asked us not to tell you to seek help which is what you need. What's the point of posting it????
  • stargazer008
    Options
    You sound like EDNOS-Eating disorder not otherwise specified because your eating disorder doesn't match with anorexia or bulimia or binge eating since you binge, starve and, exercise excessively-all three. If you truly don't want this to spiral out of control, see a doctor. I can't diagnose you.
  • You really need to consult a healthcare professional. Please do it...best of luck.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am not a professional however I would think that anytime you're forcing yourself to purge and/or severely limiting your caloric intake due to guilt then you have an eating disorder. Does it matter what specific one you have? You said you have specific reasons to not seek professional help, then what will you do? Will you stop this cycle, do you want to stop? Your body needs a certain number of calories to function and be healthy. Please figure out what's right for you and strive to be healthy. I wish you well!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure but I think the professionals actually do have a classification called EDNOS, eating disorder not otherwise specified or something like that. Honestly, people on here and online quizzes will not give you what a professional will. A doctor or therapist that is qualified to make these diagnoses would probably be the best bet.
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    People are too quick to label everything a disorder. I don't know it that's a disorder, and I don't care. The question is: can you improve your eating habits? The obvious answer is yes (as it is with most of us). Every piece of research I've ever seen shows that eating throughout the day reduces the urge to binge, and thus improves weight loss. If you have a sandwich with you at lunch, eat the damn thing. Then, you'll have more energy during the afternoon and won't be so hungry at night.
  • yummummum
    Options
    Or you could just decide to eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks.
    Write everything down ahead of time. Plan it so you know you won;t be going over the calories you should consume. Pack it all in a lunch bag so it is all ready for you to take when you are out.

"What we think, we become." -Buddha

Just tell yourself over and over you are a healthy eater, you can do this. You do not have a disorder. You can take care of yourself. YOU are IN control.
  • Thanks for your response!! =)
  • iloveaj
    iloveaj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds exactly what i was going through. I found myself a dietitian things seemed to turn around. I'm not hungry throughout the day. I'm eating the right things at the right time and feeling good about it. I've lost 5 pounds already and I a very happy. I still cheat from time to time, but using this site has helped me see just how much I do cheat. Learn how to love yourself, only then can you make some positive changes! If you like I can put you in touch with my dietician. Take care of you!
  • CLC900709
    CLC900709 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    is this post serious? How old are you? Sorry but you sound like a teenager or something. YES you have a problem. YES you need PROFESSIONAL HELP! WHY post for opinions but then say "Dont tell me i need help".
    Are you just seeking attention? If so, I then AGAIN suggestion professional help!
  • M22KIX
    Options
    I dont get your post either, you already sound like you know you have a problem. A person with a true eating disorder doesnt realize what they are doing is harmful. you obviously do.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Are you just seeking attention? I

I'm gonna go ahead and throw this out there and say.... yes.
  • CLC900709
    CLC900709 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Are you just seeking attention? I

Yeah...I figured as much! :flowerforyou: I hope you get the attention you are after. Hopefully in a healthier, more positive way. But whatever! :huh:
  • deb505
    deb505 Posts: 11
    Options
    I would call it a eating disorder but i am not a doctor so just for your own health you might go see one. Binging is not healthy and later in life it will more than likely catch up to you. People that bing and have disorders usually have a bigger underlying problem. I really hope you consider getting help. Please keep us informed we care.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Nah - you look like your intermittent fasting.... my Tuesdays and Wednesdays are similar. Even if it is borderline purging you're amount of exercise isn't that bad and you're eating the correct calories for the week.
    :smile: :smile: :smile: I read that there were 2 types of bulimia: Purging- in which there are binges and then forced vomiting or laxatives, and nonpurging- when instead of vomiting the person then starves themselves or exercises excessively to lose weight. I am 1kg overweight but thats mainly through binges.

My regular day WAS like this:
    Breakfast- oats with light milk, some cereal on top 300 calories approx
    Recess- fruit or 2, apprx 150-200 calories
    Lunch- 2 slices multigrain bread, some veggies and 1 can of tuna, 300 calories approx
    After school- oranges + glass of lite milk, 250 calories approx
    Dinner: Lentils + 2 slices bread, salad, 400 calories approx
    Limited exercise, netball 2 times a week, one hour sessions.

NOW:
    I eat a bit of breakfast, but then skip lunch (throw a whole sandwich in the bin), eat celery and carrot sticks for breakfast.
    After I come home, I binge because I've eaten virtually nothing all morning (calorie restriction/starvation on purpose so that then I wont gain weight from the previous days binge). Often I have fruit, glass of milk, 3-4 weetbix, some oats, 1 egg, any junk I can find (my family dont bring much home). Then I exercise like a nut, going on a 6-7 km walk, dancing for 1/2-1 hr etc
    Then the next day I calorie restrict or starve myself, and the cycle repeats again.
    I have to say I'm not a big water drinker, if that helps.
    I've done eating disorder quizzes and stuff, and they all suggest I either have a disorder or have a strong chance of getting one, but the disorder itself is not specified.
    Please do not ask me to get help, I have confided in a few people and have a very valid reason for seeking professional support.
    SO, everyone, do I have an eating disorder? Is it anorexia, bulimia or binge eating disorder? A combination of the 3?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!!!!!!

• Are you just seeking attention? I

Yeah...I figured as much! :flowerforyou: I hope you get the attention you are after. Hopefully in a healthier, more positive way. But whatever! :huh:

Yes, I am a teenager. And no, I am NOT seeking attention. I genuinely am concerned, I admit I have some kind of problem, but I am admiting it to the internet anonymously and to a friend I don't know too well but whom I trust. Please, please stop judging people. Just because I am a teenager does not automatically make me an attention-seeking prat or whatever.
    But thanks for taking the time to answer.
  • Thanks for your responses everyone, and for all the input =)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.
    The forum guidelines include this item:

18) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts. This includes signatures, profile names, and profile bylines. Eating Disorders are medical conditions requiring professional medical attention. MyFitnessPal does not permit the endorsement of any ED behavior, and strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.