3 Year struggle

Options
3 years ago I was my ideal weight... After a really traumatic experience I gained 50 pounds and Have struggled for 3 years with no success. I go to school almost twice the full-time schedule and work 30 hours on the weekends. I want to go to the gym but I find I don't have the time and I get so stressed that I can only maintain healthy habits for 2 days at most without binging for stress relief. Anyone offering advice or something to help motivate me would be welcomed.

Replies

• ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think motivation is the key here - you already know all the advice people will give you. You're stressed, you can't work out, you're achieving other goals right now...I know it can seem impossible but you can do this. You've done it before and you know what you look like at your idea weight.

Keep trying; keep reading about the positive success stories on here; just keep going!
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    shift your thinking... don't diet, create a lifestyle that builds into the occasional "binge" if you will... every day I have chocolate... I plan for it and without it my day feels incomplete. I still eat potato chips and cookies, and the like... I just limit the total amount within my daily allotment. if I want more I force myself to work out... 64 pounds down... it must be working
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you have EAP or counsleling through work. I would probably get some counseling. As far as food prepare it in advance take an hour one day to get it all done. Exercise take the steps to all your classes, park further away, walk steps on your lunch or break at work. You can do it but first take care of your mental health then the physical will follow. :)
  • HoneyDancer
    Options
    Welcome! I definitely think you do need some motivation. Can you find like 15-30 minutes a day to work out to look like you did three years ago? If not can you find ways of working exercise into your schedule without taking time out? That plus a really healthy eating plan should at least get you on the right track. You can it!
  • sshields1975
    sshields1975 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try doing Jullian Michels 30 day shred. It is a 25 minute workout including warm-up and cool-down. With little time to exercise it is quick and just might get you motivated to not binge eat. You can find it for around $10.00 in stores and maybe cheaper online.
    Try doing the program after dinner and after your work out brush your teeth and drink plenty of water. This helps me with my night time cravings.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yep, you already know what people are going to say...what I can tell you is I used to think I didn't have time for the gym, but now that's not the case. I am making time, even if I have to wake up 2 hrs earlier or go later at night. If you can go even 2-3 times a week, it's better than nothing. As for food, plan out your meals so you don't end up binging. Take pleasure in knowing you are doing something good for yourself, and treat yourself a little bit but don't overdo it. As for motivation, you're in the right place...everyone here has been supportive and extremely motivating for me. I would like to think I offer the same in return. If you want to add me, please feel free. I'm open to anyone adding me who wants support and can give support also.
  • pearlsgonewild
    pearlsgonewild Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    shift your thinking... don't diet, create a lifestyle that builds into the occasional "binge" if you will... every day I have chocolate... I plan for it and without it my day feels incomplete. I still eat potato chips and cookies, and the like... I just limit the total amount within my daily allotment. if I want more I force myself to work out... 64 pounds down... it must be working

I do the same thing and I am 2 lbs away from my goal so it is definitely working. I think the key is not to forbid anything that you like because then when you eat it you'll feel guilty and more likely to sabotage the hard work you've already done. If you use the food diary and plan to treat yourself sometimes, it is a whole lot easier to stay on track.
  • wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Best of Luck! The only advice I can offer is to start small. Can you find 10 min to walk in your day? Even if it's broken into two 5 minute segments, it's something, and it helps you develop the habit. As for eating well, I found that making a list of what I would not give up made it easier for me to give up other things I didn't really want. For example, I love pizza. There's one place in my town that has the most awesome cheese pizza on the planet. So I told myself that I would bypass other pizza and just enjoy the pizza from that one place. Or if sweets are your thing, identify what you love, and don't bother to eat the other stuff (usually the stuff you eat to avoid eating what you really want). Remember, it doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you keep moving. Good luck!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Work at cutting down on your class schedule and getting more sleep. Do you have to be in a rush to accomplish your career goals? You're not obligated to be Superwoman, and I'm sure you beginning to realize it's not healthy, physically or emotionally. Reevaluate your priorities and set up reasonable goals and objectives. Good luck and God bless!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Exercise and a healthy diet (meaning nutritious, balanced food) will do more for your stress levels than anything else. Make sure you get enough sleep.

Maybe you need to take fewer hours in school.

You can do this.