Holidays = bad

Options
Last night was not good for me and man did I go over even with trying to watch what I was eating but I am new at this and the pressure was surly on. There was candy and food every where. I did really good until dinner and the cheese potatoes came out of the oven. I made sure I didn't eat a whole lot but when I got home and logged my food it was crazy. I have my boyfriends family tonight and I will be on my game. I am going to take last night as a learning lesson and not let myself indulge the way I did.

The holidays are hard.
Good Luck to everyone.

Happy Easter :smile:

Replies

• xfluffyfrogx
    Options
    Last night was not good for me and man did I go over even with trying to watch what I was eating but I am new at this and the pressure was surly on. There was candy and food every where. I did really good until dinner and the cheese potatoes came out of the oven. I made sure I didn't eat a whole lot but when I got home and logged my food it was crazy. I have my boyfriends family tonight and I will be on my game. I am going to take last night as a learning lesson and not let myself indulge the way I did.

The holidays are hard.
    Good Luck to everyone.

Happy Easter :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    good for you

live and laern

this holiday thing with food is just nuts

I sometiimes find myself watching people thinking...wow that lady just put away about 2000 calories...

or that guy ...that chubby guy...just ate 1500 cals in 4 minutes

it is hard at these occasions where food...crappy food....is the main focus of the event...

good luck:smile:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    "I am going to take last night as a learning lesson and not let myself indulge the way I did. "

That's the important part. Enjoy your holiday.
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    good for you

live and laern

I sometiimes find myself watching people thinking...wow that lady just put away about 2000 calories...

it is hard at these occasions where food...crappy food....is the main focus of the event...

lol. that made me laugh
  • xfluffyfrogx
    Options
    good for you

live and laern

Haha isnt it true though.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Make sure to have plenty of fruit on hand to eat when it's dessert time. 2 or 3 pieces of fruit is still less calories than a piece of sickly sweet cake or pie... and much more filling. The biggest thing is to make sure that there are foods available that you're comfortable eating... otherwise, you'll feel like you're sacrificing. It's okay to feel a little "holier than thou" - if that's what makes it easier to get through. That's what I did last night - watched everyone stuffing their faces and thought, "But I'll look better in my bathing suit...."

Dave - I do the same thing as you do. I'm amazed at how much food the average human being consumes in one sitting. I watch my husband and though it never bothered me before it terrifies me to see him eat 2 big macs at a time! UGH!
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I ran 37 minutes this morning and plan to run again tonight if I over-indulge. How do you keep track of Holiday grazing calories???? Does anyone take a break from counting calories on a holiday? Now that I am aware of the calories i don't think i will be able to not be aware of each bite that goes in my mouth.
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    my ticker said 10 pounds lost yesterday. Oh well! I almost didn't change the weight this morning but then I thought, who am I trying to kid?
    I have to get through another dinner tonight too. I will just watch my portions. yup. sure I will. mmhm
    Holidays are tough all right. Going to excercise today though and that is sure to help.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The way we worship food on Holidays is insane...I have really started to just think of Holidays as a time to meet friends and family and be thankful.....as opposed to how I used to be ..pre planning what I would eat lol...:flowerforyou:
  • xfluffyfrogx
    Options
    I ran 37 minutes this morning and plan to run again tonight if I over-indulge. How do you keep track of Holiday grazing calories???? Does anyone take a break from counting calories on a holiday? Now that I am aware of the calories i don't think i will be able to not be aware of each bite that goes in my mouth.

I realized that last night I am not allowed to be free from not counting my calories yet. I do not have enough self control. I too made sure I went for my walk / jog this morning and plan on doing one of my pilates dvd's in a little while before I take a shower. I think the holidays are the small tests to see if you can really take control and watch what you eat and be healthy. If you fail once or twice its okay as long as you can get back up and keep fighting.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I always overindulge on holidays but really... I figure easter is just one meal a year. If I only ever overindulge on holidays and am good the rest of the year then it isn't a problem. I've got real butter out for tonight's dinner, white rolls and then molten lava cake for dessert. And I'm going to enjoy it, and then tomorrow I am going to eat like I usually do. :flowerforyou:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Yes I take a break on a holiday. I don't go crazy because I don't crave gross foods like I used to, however I relax and enjoy my holiday. Even if I gain a little water weight, I work it off quickly. I don't give myself permission to pig out, but I don't beat myself up if I go over a little bit. A lifestyle change has to be flexible! After you've been at it a little while you will learn that you don't always have to be hypervigilant, just aware. I started my change during the Thankgsiving holiday and I made it through the entire season and managed to still lose weight.
    Good luck!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I give myself a break on the holidays also. There's only a couples times a year I get good home cooked meals like this made by my grandma so I enjoy it while I still can. The lady is gettin up there!!

I usually don't enter days like this on MFP. Ignorance is bliss for me. :bigsmile: Not gonna go crazy though cuz we off to Disneyland after Easter with the fam!!! :bigsmile:
  • LiMer
    LiMer Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It was horrible for me too. I had a wedding yesterday and I did go over by about 500 calories. I didn't have time to exercise at all yesterday.

Today, I have a big barbecue with my church, Easter eggs and everything. And again, no time to exercise either. I will try to be careful but I'm sure I'll go over again.

After last night, late dinner, I woke up and the scale went up 1.5 pounds? Could this really be or it is water weight?
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

I don't and can't see myself taking a break from counting. It's my new lifestyle and I can't take a break from my lifestyle. Just because I count doesn't mean that I don't "go over"... but at least I'm aware of how much I went over. My food diary is not only my planning mechanism - but also my record of "what went wrong" when I need to go back and determine why I've hit a slump.

I walked this morning and I will walk again this afternoon. Just being aware of how many calories I've eaten and how many I can burn in a workout helps to keep me "mindful".
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree it is just one day. I also realized it is just as wrong to let calorie counting become my god as it is having food as my god. Just because I have changed my diet doesn't give me license to rain on others parade whether it is will intentioned or not. :flowerforyou:
    I hear ya! I always overindulge on holidays but really... I figure easter is just one meal a year. If I only ever overindulge on holidays and am good the rest of the year then it isn't a problem. I've got real butter out for tonight's dinner, white rolls and then molten lava cake for dessert. And I'm going to enjoy it, and then tomorrow I am going to eat like I usually do. :flowerforyou: