Birth Control

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
Ladies,

I have been on birth control for about 3 months now but I am finding that I am eating more now and seem to be more depressed and have a much harder time pushing myself to lose weight and workout.

I was wondering if anyone else had anything like this?

Replies

• mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me. Birth control pills are the devil well when it comes to weight loss. I tried them a few months ago and noticed weight gain no matter what i ate. Then i stopped. I started taking them about 2 weeks ago and gained like 5lbs in a few days. I've thrown them out and i'm getting the IUD this week.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I can't really tell-been on it for awhile. But my advice would be call the dr that prescribed it and tell them how you are feeling. Maybe you need a different type of pill. I think there are different pills with different levels of hormones and mybe your body doesn't like the one you're on.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If it's the pill and you've been on it a full three months, you might want to ask your doctor to put you on a different one.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I had to stop BC because it was affecting my moods too much. I was on the lowest dose too.
    Can you try a lower dose that what you're on now?
    I'd speak with your doctor about the depression, it def is a side effect.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ask to try a different one, i went thru like 5 brands before i found one i was comfortable with
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    if any medication ever makes you feel depressed, you should definitely speak to your dr. I had major mood swings when i was on BC and my dr told me to take a complete vitamin B supplement, and it really helped.

You should seriously speak to your dr.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Birth control TERRIBLE for weight loss! I talked to my doctor and she said that yes, that indeed was my problem. I was working my butt off, and was lucky to lose 1 lb a week.. and then as soon as I came off it bam I lost 3 and a bit lbs within 2 weeks. I'm on the mirena IUD now, don't know if that will be better or worse for my weight loss.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    ask to try a different one, i went thru like 5 brands before i found one i was comfortable with

Same here.
    If one doesn't work, try another. There are lots of different formulations.
  • wildcatlizzie
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor before ditching them completely. I've personally never experienced those side effects with mine, but I think it would be worth it to talk to your doctor about a different dosage or a different form of birth control.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I recently switched prescriptions after telling my doctor during my annual checkup that after being on one version for a year, I was sick of the inability to lose weight and having crying fits and extreme sadness for no reason I could see. It might not even be necessarily the dose, but the actual ingredients. There are many different forms and combinations of ingredients and no one pill works for everyone. Also, are you on a form that changes doses through the month or a constant dose until the end of the month? I was on a prescription that cycled through 3 levels of the active hormone, but now that I am on a constant low dose, I am feeling much better. However, the ability to lose weight hasn't changed much, but I'm okay with having to work a little harder.
  • bs1981
    bs1981 Posts: 36
    Options
    Depo shot... haven't had any difference with it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

I have been on birth control for about 3 months now but I am finding that I am eating more now and seem to be more depressed and have a much harder time pushing myself to lose weight and workout.

I was wondering if anyone else had anything like this?

Depression is a definite possible side effect - make an appointment to talk to your dr. about your concerns and see if they have other options you can try. Some women need different types or amounts of hormones. Everyone reacts differently to the hormonal changes that birth control induces in your body. There are multiple different formulations you can try, go see your dr. and ask if they feel another type might be better for you.
  • SarahE0417
    Options
    Just went to the GYN today for this same issue! I was on the pill for 4 years and never saw weight loss like i want. I came off of it in August and have gained 5 pounds. It depends on the person. It's not the pill that makes you gain wait or not bea ble to lose, its the cravings. I talked to my dr. today about Mirena and was told since I have not had a baby that it would more than likely be really uncomfortable for me. He reccommend that I try a different pill...yaz (well, the generic of it) because it contains a diuretic that doesnt hold on to all of the water weight.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I agree...talk to your doc. I went on them several years ago, not for birth control (I'm infertile), but to regulate my cycle. I've had no issues with mine (Loestrin 24--low-dose estrogen). I did switch and try Seasonique (the 3-month one) and had to stop because it made me sick. I switched back to Loestrin.

If you're having side effects, ask your doc to let you try a different one. There are tons of them out there, so you may just not have the right one for you. Different formulations and different levels of hormones in them can affect everyone differently.

Good luck! Hope you can find one that doesn't bother you and leave you depressed. That's the last thing you need while trying to lose weight.

ETA: Be sure to ask for samples of the ones they're letting you try. Often they can give you samples to try (if they have them available) until you settle on one that works for you.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I am also on a low dose. The main reason my dr put me on it was because I have PCOS and its to regulate my cycle.
  • abigailV91
    abigailV91 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. I've been on it for about a year and a half now. But I've also been on either 2 or 3 different pills. They all have different effects on different people. I suggest talking to your doctor and switching pills.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I am also on a low dose. The main reason my dr put me on it was because I have PCOS and its to regulate my cycle.

I have PCOS as well. I think I just lucked out and ended up with a pill that worked for me the first time. Keep trying some different ones until you find what works. If you just can't find one, you may have to come off it entirely. You can try Metformin (I tried it and lost weight, but it started making me sick and it wasn't worth being nauseous all the time!).

You can possibly try Evening Primrose Oil, too. It's supposed to help with regulating your cycle. Talk to your doctor first, though, and make sure it won't interact with anything else you are taking (stop the BC pill before you start it).

Good luck. I know how awful it is having an irregular and painful cycle. NOT fun.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for about a year, and it didn't hinder my weight loss or affect my moods. But before this Rx, I have tried 3 or 4 different brands.

In September, I switched to the shot, and THAT has made weight loss super difficult. I've been having serious junk cravings, lack of motivation issues, and mood swings. Not to mention that I haven't had a cycle, but have been spotting constantly for a month. I can't wait for this to wear off so I can go back to my pills!

With that said, once you find something that works for you, everything will be fine! Definitely make an appointment to talk to your doctor about the side affects and see if s/he can come up with a better pill (or other type of contraceptive) for you!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you talk to your doctor. I've been on the pill for seven years, 3 different ones in that time. It took 2 years with 2 different pills that didn't mesh right with my body chemistry to find the one that does. Now that I have the right one, I never want to let it go! Everyone's body is different, so it's hard to get advice from someone else on "which" one to take, and I'd take any of that advice with a grain of salt. Depo does work for some women, but there are studies that prove that women tend to spot much more on Depo than the pill- but again, every woman's body is different. NOT having a baby is a good way to not put on weight :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Birth control TERRIBLE for weight loss! I talked to my doctor and she said that yes, that indeed was my problem. I was working my butt off, and was lucky to lose 1 lb a week.. and then as soon as I came off it bam I lost 3 and a bit lbs within 2 weeks. I'm on the mirena IUD now, don't know if that will be better or worse for my weight loss.

I easily lost 2 pounds a week while on the pill. On Mirena, I've gained and cannot lose it.

It affects everyone differently.