Weight falls off s l o w l y....

Options
WHY? 2 things have never happened to me: I have never worked out so consistently & stayed true to my diet so well, and I've never lost weight so slowly. I don't understand it. I feel like I have to FIGHT tooth and nail for each tenth of a pound when before I worked out & ate healthier and weight just came off. So what has changed in my life? I had a baby 17 months ago & I got older (I'm 26) obviously!! :) Before I worked where I do now (I am a sales person and I stand almost the entire day) I was a waitress & I walked almost my entire day...I think that attributes to why I have had a harder time losing. Because before I when i waited tables (its been about 5 years since I stopped waiting tables) all I really had to do was eat better and then weight fell off. Now I am exercising regularly and eating better & the weight comes off so slowly. I watch my calories, I try to have days where I eat a little more than normal so my body doesn't just get used to my caloric intake, I watch my sodium & I know that I am probably gaining muscle in my legs from the running, but unfortunately that doesn't make me feel as good as I wish it did. I'm really hoping to lose weight this week & I'm wondering if anyone has any tips? My diary is private, but maybe some inspiration? Or you could tell me about when you had a plateau?

Replies

• quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think losing weight slowly is the ideal. It's more likely you'll keep it off that way. But I understand your frustration.

I hit a plateau a while back and broke through it by changing my workout a bit to include more free weights and interval cardio. I also increased my protein. But, now I'm back at a plateau it seems. I'm thinking I need to change something up again. I think the body responds to change in your routine.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    you don't have your dairy open....
  • swimmer54
    swimmer54 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    40 pounds is fantastic! How slow is slow? Are you eating enough calories that your body hasn't gone into starvation mode, holding onto fat? Smaller more frequent meals work best for me (4 x 400 cal). And I've been told by a trainer that it's the same with exercise, more important to do it more frequently than for long periods of time.

I lose slowly as well, so I understand your frustration. Many times in the past I would have a perfect week and then if it wasn't reflected on the scale I would get discouraged. So I try to weigh less frequently. That way I know I will have a loss, if I've stayed on my plan.
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It gets slower as you get older (each decade is harder). When I was young I was on the chunky side, joined a dance class and went down to 110LBS. I was able to maintain that by continueing dance classes, then waitressed, then went to college where I took free aerobic classes.
    THEN I got a desk job (put on weight), went back to finish my college degree after 10 years (put on more weight).

I miss the days where if I went to 111 LBS I'd eat a salad and the next day I'd be back to 110 LBS.

Now, I'm pushing 40 and I'm slowly losing but I know I'll keep it off because it is a lifestyle now. AND 130 sounds better to me than 110.
  • pthomp2268
    Options
    I would also wonder how slow is slow? I used to have real issues with losing weight slowly, but once I started using myfitnesspal religiously, I realized that I was consuming more calories than I thought I was. I have been using a high protein low carb arrangement and that has worked much better for me. Logging everything has helped me to become much more consistent than I was in the past - while I have the odd cheat meal, even my cheats are not excessive. I log them too, so I can see the damage, and then plan accordingly. Also, I drink lots of water, have small frequent meals, and have been engaging in pretty intense circuit training at the gym to keep my body challenged. Finally, I have stopped stressing about the weight loss - I swear the minute I stopped stressing, the more easily the weight has come off.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember the smaller you get harder it gets to lose
    Bigger you are easier it is to lose
    You gotta take a day to eat whatever you want to shock your body (worked for me)
    Up your protein intake

cals in cals out remember 3500 to gain a lb and 3500 burned cals to lose

I did a write up on plateau's Ill send it to you and post it here on the forums as well :)
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had 4-5 plateaus over the past 5-6 months...I was able to break it by upping my cals for 4-5 days in a row. For the past 1-1.5 months, I haven't had a plateau, but my weight loss has been very inconsistent. I would lose 4 lbs in one week, and only 0.4 the following and then 3-4 lbs. and then 0.6. It is very frustrating. I try playing with calorie intake, I play with eating all of my workout calories vs not eating them back at all vs eating some of it. I play with workouts too. I work less one week and hard the following week just to see what works for me. I also play with the type of workouts too. I use to work with personal trainer and I would get scared if I lose too much in one week (the last thing I need is my skin hanging) and I was always told that the more we have to lose, the more we lose and the loss is more consistent. The closer we get to our goal weight, it gets harder and harder. The best of luck to you!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    When I stop losing, I lower calories.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    just gotta trick your body, either eat a lot more calories for a few day sthen go back, up your workout routine, snack more to build metabolism, drink more water, or try changing your diet. when i hit a plateau i usually eat like CRAP for a week, then go back on, then i drop some weight. my body worked harder to get rid of all those excess calories so i will do that from time to time, i call that the lazy way heh
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I posted it for ya hun, also they do switch up your workouts, check the posts and let me know ur thoughts if it works for you =)
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I get what a lot of you are saying...that I should lose less weight when I'm smaller, but I'm still obese. I'm not like 150 and unhappy with a 1 lb loss (not that you can't complain). But I am still obese, I'm 222 and complaining about no loss! Well, I'm just going to have to try harder this week! We will see what my scale says on Sunday! WE CAN DO IT!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Lol I did eat CRAPPY for 4 days last week. Well, I'll stop complaining & bust my butt this week and see what the scale says. :laugh: