SUPPORT: Quitting smoking while trying not to kill my diet!

Options
I've been a smoker for almost 5 years now, and have tried quitting on many different occasions. Every time I've tried, I've gained that comfort weight that comes right behind the lack of nicotine. I really want to quit this time, but I'm also worried about the potential weight gain from all the munching and nibbling I do to keep myself from running out to the store and buying another pack of cigarettes. Is anyone else trying to quit right now... without killing their diet?? I would love to keep in touch with people who are currently trying to quit! The extra support would be great :)

My name is Stephanie, and my last cigarette was 8 hours ago!

Replies

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I had to replace it with excercising. I would do workouts that would push me and I would still mucnch but on stuff like fruits and veggies.
  • seattlern
    Options
    I strugged with smoking for 25 years and had my last cigarette on July 28th. In the past, whenever I tried to quit smoking, I packed on the pounds rapidly until I would give up and go right back to smoking.
    This time I used hypnosis. It was the easiest quit and I've been successful at losing weight instead of gaining. Even listening to smoking cessation hypnosis might help you overcome the psychological barriers. Aside from that, I recommend increasing your caffiene intake for the next few weeks to counter the drop in metabolism that happens when you abruptly stop nicotine.
    Good Luck!!!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker, but I'm rooting for you! I've had friends who quit, and the journey was different for each one. You can do it!
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting! I quit about 7 months ago. My advice to you is to drink a ton of water. Like everytime you think of smoking, take a sip of water. Stock up on raw crunchy veggies (carrots, celery, bell peppers) and eat them without dressing whenever you want to munch. You can do this, and I promise it does get easier.

Also, remember that it is much more important for you to successfully quit smoking than stick to your diet. Seriously, it is much more important to your health AND appearance. Your skin will glow. Nobody will notice if you gain a few lbs, but they will notice how much nicer you smell and how much prettier your skin/teeth/hair look!
  • lovingmethin
    lovingmethin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that I am fixing to say this, but I will quit tomorrow morning. I had absolutely no plans of quitting, but I would love to quit with a buddy!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for awhile now, so I have a pretty good handle on the eating thing (most days - lol) and I don't want to sabotage what I've done so far. This makes it relatively easy to not replace smoking with snacking.

This Wednesday will be 5 weeks sans cigarettes and I haven't gained any extra weight. :drinker:
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea! I noticed when I was doing the Insanity DVD's, I actually didn't want to smoke because it was such an intense workout, my body couldn't handle it. I wish I didn't have to give those DVD's back to my cousin :/ Haha!
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! The toughest thing you'll ever do; but your body will love you for it! I quit January 31 of 2011. I found that keeping gum and mints really helped me not focus on it. Keeping my mouth busy (and not with carbs and fats!) Good luck to you....you can do this and will be forever happy when you do!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for making this decision! Try keeping low-cal snacks around - fruit, veggies, 100 calorie popcorn packs, etc. So you can get in your munchies w/o doing too much damage.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea! I noticed when I was doing the Insanity DVD's, I actually didn't want to smoke because it was such an intense workout, my body couldn't handle it. I wish I didn't have to give those DVD's back to my cousin :/ Haha!

Take the money you would have spent on cigarettes and put it in a jar. With what those things cost, I bet you'll have enough money for your own set of DVDs before you know it! You can also keep putting that money away and treat yourself to something down the line (mani/pedi, facial, etc.).
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Not to minimize your complaint, but you have only 5 years of smoking to overcome. Remember, the longer you continue to smoke, the harder it becomes.
    Strategies I used had to do with nibbling on low calorie things, because you are trying to overcome a habit, like a repeated action of your hands and your mouth.
    Chewing gum, the more flavorful the better.
    Eating celery, or carrots, or pickles, even hot pickled stuff is good, the more intense the flavor, the better off you are.
    What you want to avoid are high calorie things like chocolate or other high sugar candy.
    Good luck, and keep logging your food calories! This is the best way to keep your intake under control.
  • classycouture
    Options
    Congrats to all of you who have quit!! I hope I can follow the path that you are all on!! Such inspirations!

@ lovingmethin: I'll be here for you! Sometimes the spontaneous quitting is the best! Doesn't give you time to over think things!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I quit almost a year ago, but unfortunately I gained 20 pounds in 6 months and I am in the process of trying to lose that right now, plus another 20. Try to munch on crunchy things like carrot sticks and celery, and I even took to chewing on coffee stirrers and straws. You can do it!!!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting the smoking! I am a 30 year smoker and yesterday was week 5 of being cig free. Its a tough habit to kick but you can do it. I haven't gained any weight back. If I get the urge to snack, I try to resist the urge for 5 minutes with some deep breathing exercises and the urge goes away. Works the same with the little evil "cigs". Drink more water, eat sensibly, and exercise. It is amazing how much easier your breathing gets!

Again grats on quitting! Best wishes on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • lovingmethin
    lovingmethin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you who have quit!! I hope I can follow the path that you are all on!! Such inspirations!

@ lovingmethin: I'll be here for you! Sometimes the spontaneous quitting is the best! Doesn't give you time to over think things!

You are right, but I am scared to death, lol. I'll be here for you too. =)
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I only had the attention span to quit smoking...now I'm focusing on the weight, but I wanted to tell you I'm cheering for you! Best thing ever! :)
  • kimber_av
    Options
    you can doooooooo it!!!

<3

just had to add my 5 cents hehe
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Read "the easy way to Stop smoking" by Allen Carr. Look it up on Amazon and read the reviews. Its an amazing tool that reprograms your brain so you stop smoking, have no cravings, and do not gain weight. Worked wonders for me!

...oh, and it even works if you already quit. Makes it so you don't think about it anymore!
  • classycouture
    Options
    Read "the easy way to Stop smoking" by Allen Carr. Look it up on Amazon and read the reviews. Its an amazing tool that reprograms your brain so you stop smoking, have no cravings, and do not gain weight. Worked wonders for me!

...oh, and it even works if you already quit. Makes it so you don't think about it anymore!

Thank you! This is something I am definitely going to check out.

@ Kim - Hahah, you know I always welcome your two cents :):)
  • maceycarey
    maceycarey Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    the only thing that helped me quit is patchs... but i waited to start dieting and execise for about 9 months cause doing both probably would have killed me

good luck