Nausea/Mood Swings after Working out! Help!

Options
After I work out, or sometimes about 3/4th of the way in... I start to get really really nauseous. I start feeling like I've drank way too much water and my stomach starts feeling awful. I don't drink an incredible amount of water when I work out, about 2 bottles over the course of an hour and a half.

Accompanying the nausea is terrible mood swings. I all of a sudden get so down that even I know it's not normal. Like today I was starting to feel crappy on the treadmill and I saw this man that looked a tiny bit like my grandpa walk into the gym and I burst into tears... I recognized immediately that something was messing with my moods. I am on Prozac but so far I don't experience mood swings during everyday activity and I'm only on 20 mg.

Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated! I hope I gave enough info!

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    blood sugar usually lowers during exercise. If you exercise and have not eating for 3-4 hours and then get on the treadmill or any training, your blood sugar is already compromised and then driven down lower. Also, Prozac can effect your blood pressure which is also effected during exercise, so could be a connection there.

I have experienced what you have and it was my blood sugar, but that was just me. Oh, and also and especially if it around your cycle which hormonally can totally bring on all that and of which the blood sugar is also regulating differently and dips in serotonin etc. Just my personal experience, not an opinion or advice.

Hugs,
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Just my thoughts. I think you might be drinking too much water. How big is a bottle? When I run for an hour and a half I normally take in 16 oz. Maybe a little more.

As far as the emotion uprising. I think that's normal. Or at least it's normal for me. If I work out hard for a long time, I get very weak and I get to a point where I feel like I could cry.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    That seems really strange, exercise typically elevates your mood. It's not supposed to put you into a depression. I would definitely talk to your doctor about these issues.
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    blood sugar usually lowers during exercise. If you exercise and have not eating for 3-4 hours and then get on the treadmill or any training, your blood sugar is already compromised and then driven down lower. Also, Prozac can effect your blood pressure which is also effected during exercise, so could be a connection there.

I have experienced what you have and it was my blood sugar, but that was just me. Oh, and also and especially if it around your cycle which hormonally can totally bring on all that and of which the blood sugar is also regulating differently and dips in serotonin etc. Just my personal experience, not an opinion or advice.

Hugs,

I totally agree!!! I would have your blood sugar checked out. I work in the medical (not a nurse or doctor) in an ER. Your mood swings are not typical for working out.
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I see my dr monday and will definitely bring this up. I actually didn't eat before my workout except breakfast, so I will try that, and I'll try to sip my water instead of chugging it LOL.

And I don't eat bread or sugar hardly at all in my diet so maybe it is low blood sugar, my sister is a diabetic so I'll grab one of her old meters and check next time I'm feeling bad.