Do you ever miss your old habits?

Options
Is there ever a time you get sick of being on a calorie restriction? Do you ever get upset when you are at a resturant and everyone orders and you have to restrict? Tonight is one of those nights for me.

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    no I dont miss being a fat, alcoholic, smoking, glob of... you know :smile: You lost so much weight - maybe a cheat day?
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If I'm at a restaurant, I eat what I want and get back with the program the next day. I don't eat out often enough to want to waste the opportunity! Lol!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I don't miss that either, believe me..I was misrable, didn't love myself..yeah to a point all that crap food just disgusts me, and at the same time im torn..i miss eating it all the time..no restrictions..
  • ms78
    ms78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    No, I don't miss my old habits. I don't tend to eat out much anyway (for money reasons and because I like to cook now) but if I do, I'll take a 'night off' from dieting because I know that treats are an important part of me being able to sustain the diet for a long time. Also, because I have developed a taste for healthier food, I find myself actually wanting the grilled fish and salad rather than the bbq burger.
  • FatgirlskinE
    Options
    Everyday girl! I am a care giver and I take care of 3 ladies t hat love to go out to fast food restaurants, one being friendly's. Let me tell you, ordering a half of a sandwhich and a salad, is not what I want to be ordering at friendlys!!! but..you have to keep in your head that you are doing something to better yourself, and when you look at that scale, you will thank yourself for holding back....cheat once a week, but not drastically. Think of how you use to eat, and that should be enough to get you to not want to eat like that again. I know now I look at a big mac meal and I get sick thinking that I could have eaten 2 of those a day!!! thats like 1100 calories each meal YUCK!!!! Great job by the way...ur doing awesome at your goals!!! how long have you been doing it?
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I don't but I guess I have surrounded myself with a very good support system. My family is VERY supportive and my friends are either supportive or have joined the bandwagon themselves. I guess I am very lucky :bigsmile:
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did, when I was on a calorie-counting whole-grains based diet. I don't, now that I am on a 100-carb Paleo diet.

The way my appetite has changed seems like a miracle to me, because I used to get genuinely distressed about not eating whatever...
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I kindof rue that I can't eat a whole 12" subway or a chips salsa AND a whole huge plate of mexican food these days...there just flat out isn't room in my stomach like there used to be...but then my tastes in food have also changed. Given the choice, I'd rather eat at a tapas (small plate) type restaurant over a mexican food place, etc. so that I can order small plates and share and try a bunch of stuff over a huge plate of one thing anymore. More variety and more about the tasting experience rather than shoving food down the gullet.
  • shannonichole
    Options
    Do you like the complements on your looks? Do you like being able to fit into rides at Disneyland? Do you like it when you can fit into smaller clothes? Or when you realize that you might just not die from heart disease? I think all those things would be worth it. It has been for me so far.

I actually have food allergies and I sometimes think about all the things I wish I could have. But then I realized how many more new, and healthier foods I get to try now. Sometimes you have to try to focus more on the good instead of the chocolate cake. :laugh:
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    NOPE!! The craving for what is yet to come is greater than any urge to splurge food wise!!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel but you wil have the "last laugh" as they say...as their waistlines & cholesterol levels are rising yours are NOT!

Stay strong and try not to feel as if you are missing out. Almost all restaurant food (although looks great) isn't prepared with your best interest at heart! It's a mental game at this point and you can do it!!
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't. Because I don't think of it as restricting, I don't feel restricted by smaller portions. If you're eating the right amount, your stomach will only allow you to eat so much. I can't binge anymore even if I wanted to, and now I physically get sick when I have fast food or soda. It's not by choice, it's how my body reacts to it now. I love the new me. I feel energized, happy, ready to take on my next challenge. I think this is how I was suppose to feel my whole life.

So my definitive answer is No.

And realize you CAN eat the foods you used to eat, you just have to eat them in a smaller portion in a smarter way! Promise :)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Not really, but I don't think I've changed all that much. If I got out to eat it better be a place with steak, pair that with some veggies and it's pretty reasonable. Given the choice I'll still blow my calories on margaritas, but that's totally worth it. :bigsmile:
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Not a chance - Bloated, tired, stuffing my feeling with food instead of deal with them, being disgusted when you look in the mirror, those tapes that play in your head about how fat you are but not loving yourself enough to change, lying to yourself about how big you really are, being self-conscience. NO THANKS - Those feeling suck
  • FindingMyself239
    Options
    I do sometimes I miss my pizza and beer...yet i see all the weight ive lost and how comfortable I am in my skin and those bad thoughts disappear:)
  • MsCNicholleD
    Options
    I only get sad when everyone is ordering gallon-sized margaritas and I can't participate. Other than that, no.
  • elleninez
    Options
    I understand what you mean...honestly, mine is the emotional eating thing that I'm still trying to kick. I mean, I don't DO it anymore, but I WANT to. That's the first place my mind turns when I'm really upset about something, and it's really hard to stay out of that mindset. Kudos to you for sticking with it through the wants though!
  • Code
    Code Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, but I suppose its just part of being human. It doesnt help holiday cooking is just around the corner. If possible, try sharing your favorite meals (yes, I realize this is a hard to do but...). This way you can eat what you want and stay within your calorie goals. Or just eat smaller portions, again you eat what you want and still stay within your goals. Restricting temptation is a terrible thing to prolong.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'll tell ya, I love all the comments i get, the guys hitting on me even when im committed..being able to buy clothes like a small shirt, size 10 pants..finally feeling sexy, desirable...tonight, i felt discouraged..my friend gave me some money to get her a cheat meal, and i couldn't have any of it (my choice) thats when it all hit me..
  • ChantalAguiar
    ChantalAguiar Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I only get sad when everyone is ordering gallon-sized margaritas and I can't participate. Other than that, no.

Yumm Margaritas...I had to watch my friends drink those this weekend while I drank Vodka and Crystal light...good, but not the same!