I don't (think I) want to lose weight!

Options
I've waited to post this question, I have read thousands (or so it seems!) of threads... Please help me understand! I must be dense if I don't get it by now... I'm sorry to ask this--I just don't completely understand it.

I think my actual weight for my height is healthy (?) I am 5'11" and weigh about 160-162. I've tried to drop 5-10 lbs for months now. So I started heavy lifting about 4 weeks ago (having gone from long distance running and lifting 'barbie' weights!). I have maintained my weight for 6 or so months. I would like to lose fat and gain muscle. I was eating in the 1600 calorie range (and eating every last one of my exercise calories). I was hungry, all. the. time. So I upped it to 1800 (just below maintenance) plus I eat all my exercise calories. I'm still hungry, not as much, but uncomfortably sometimes.

So, if I want to lose fat and gain muscle, do I need to raise my calories more? Or lower them? Other than going to the gym 6 times a week (lifting 3 times weekly and cardio 3 times weekly) I am lightly active. How many calories should I be eating--including my exercise calories? Do I just 'suck up' the hunger? I have no idea where, in the calorie grand scheme of things I should be... I feel like I'm eating an awful lot of calories... (you can check my diary, it's public).

Any help would be appreciated!!

Edited to add that I am getting frustrated now, so I'm starting to overeat a little from stressing wayyy too much over this... you can see this from my diary the last few days...

Replies

• karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try increasing protein (shakes, chicken etc). It will make you feel more full for longer AND helps with gaining muscle. I think they say you need 1 gram protein for lb of body weight. That's a LOT of protein, but just try and get as much as you can! Optimum Nutrition has a good chocolate shake. I mix it in the AM with 1/2 cup milk, a little ice, water and one scoop mix. Then blend it with my bullet. I think it has 24 grams protein and only 125 calories. So definitely worth it. Good luck!
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    Try increasing protein (shakes, chicken etc). It will make you feel more full for longer AND helps with gaining muscle. I think they say you need 1 gram protein for lb of body weight. That's a LOT of protein, but just try and get as much as you can! Optimum Nutrition has a good chocolate shake. I mix it in the AM with 1/2 cup milk, a little ice, water and one scoop mix. Then blend it with my bullet. I think it has 24 grams protein and only 125 calories. So definitely worth it. Good luck!

This is exactly right. Losing weight and gaining muscle means you have to have a lot of protein.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That's the irony of all this -- I eat a TON of protein, most days 2 shakes, others just one, and I eat a lot of lean protein too... I think both my legs are hollow!!!
  • reba971
    Options
    Protein! Especially if you are weight training. I eat high protein and I am very rarely hungry. Try keeping your calories at 1600-1800 but making sure you eat lots of protein and see if you feel less hungry.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    THIS! Its exactly what I need. I'm 160 as well, but only 5'6" but need to lose a bit more fat and gain muscle. I'd like to get to 145 ultimately, but have issues lately getting the scale to go down! I'm lifting about 3-4 times a week, and cardio 3 times.....
    Love to see more insight from others!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's easier to focus on one goal or the other. Trying to do both can lead to a lot of wheel-spinning.
  • nuttynat11834
    Options
    I usually try to avoid eating sweet foods for breakfast, like french toast or pancakes, since they don't fill me up as much. Try 2 start eating a big healthy breakfast with lots of protein. I always make sure to have a glass of milk or yogurt with my meal too. I don't know if this will help u, but so far it's been helping me.
  • barwood
    barwood Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Has anyone looked at her diary she is eating a ton of protein and fiber.I think you are doing great in there area maybe lower your carbs. I'm no expert but i did look at your diary and I think It looks good just carbs are a little high.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What is your current bodyfat %?
  • skinnison
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I joined to improve my cholesterol and lose some weight. But the goal is fitness! If you are trying to cut fat and gain muscle then cut the fat as much as possible in your diet and increase your proteins to gain muscle. Proteins will help with your hunger and balance it with a variety of vegatables and fruit because you need the vitamins. It sounds as though you have a good healthy excercise routine so add those whole grain carbs and other good carbs to help keep the fat down but give you some energy for the weight training. Don't stress on the weight loss it is your health and fitness that counts and if you feel and look good you are on track. The hardest part of eating right is not falling back into old habits and when your hungry feed it with good foods and don't feel guilty. Overeating good foods is better than falling into the junk again. You can do it hang in there.
    God bless
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Wow, you eat a lot of protein. Hot damn girl.
    Your current weight seems perfectly reasonable for your height. Good for you for building up muscle though. I'm not there yet, but will be soon.
    As for constant hunger, I would try replacing some of your calories with a cup of milk when you start getting hungry. I find even just 8 ounces of milk really fills me up for awhile. Play around with your calories too, maybe try lowering the carbs for a few days and see if that helps. I find the more carby my day is, the hungrier I am. Not that I'm ever low-carb, but know what I mean? Other thing to try is spacing out your meals, eating slower, drinking more water, chew some gum. I'm not sure what else I've got for ya, since I can't help in the building muscle department.
    Best of luck!!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    THIS! Its exactly what I need. I'm 160 as well, but only 5'6" but need to lose a bit more fat and gain muscle. I'd like to get to 145 ultimately, but have issues lately getting the scale to go down! I'm lifting about 3-4 times a week, and cardio 3 times.....
    Love to see more insight from others!

Wow you look awesome, great work! I would suggest cleaning up your diet. Less processed, high sodium stuff and sugar and add in more whole foods and good fats (olive oil, coconut oil, coconut butter, almod butter, avocado)

OP your diary looks great, I would add more good fats like I mentioned above and that will help fill you up too. Also lower your carbs, processed ones anyways like pretzels and bread, do oatmeal, flax, sweet potato, veggies.
  • mamitosami
    Options
    It's easier to focus on one goal or the other. Trying to do both can lead to a lot of wheel-spinning.

I think this is what is happening. Perhaps if I lower my calories again, just a little, and keep my focus on the heavy lifting, it will even out. I am not a very patient person!

And thanks to everyone for all your suggestions--lowering my carbs is doable--I always thought because, generally, I eat healthy carbs, like yams, squash etc it was ok (and because I was a long distance runner, I needed them, frankly). I am trying to cut out the evening snacking (I was originally fitting it in nicely at the end of the day, but now if it doesn't fit, I seem to eat it anyway). Today was not a picture perfect day! I overate out of frustration... I will pick one goal, stick with it, and try to be patient. That last 10 pounds really is so difficult to lose!! If I lose the fat, the muscle will be there... somewhere... like a diamond in the rough:laugh:
  • mamitosami
    Options
    What is your current bodyfat %?

I think my current bf% (this is sooo approximate!) is about 25%-28%.
  • mamitosami
    Options
    Wow, you eat a lot of protein. Hot damn girl.
    Your current weight seems perfectly reasonable for your height. Good for you for building up muscle though. I'm not there yet, but will be soon.
    As for constant hunger, I would try replacing some of your calories with a cup of milk when you start getting hungry. I find even just 8 ounces of milk really fills me up for awhile. Play around with your calories too, maybe try lowering the carbs for a few days and see if that helps. I find the more carby my day is, the hungrier I am. Not that I'm ever low-carb, but know what I mean? Other thing to try is spacing out your meals, eating slower, drinking more water, chew some gum. I'm not sure what else I've got for ya, since I can't help in the building muscle department.
    Best of luck!!

I will try to go a little lower carb--maybe it will make me want them less? I'll eat slower too... I usually do drink plenty of fluids...
  • joyzoso
    joyzoso Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    wow, I am 5'11 and striving just to lose 20 pounds to be 175... (which I think is also healthy for our height)... of course we will see when I get there if I want to continue. For me, I have been putting on muscle, while losing fat the past couple of months so no scale change... annoying, but feeling better every day.

Good luck with your journey!
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What is your training schedule? Are you doing a weekly long run and do you find you have an unquenchable hunger the day after?

This isn't all that uncommon among runners.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you're at the point where you need an expert trainer / nutrition consult to fine tune an already good routine and determine fine goals. Also, you might not need to lose fat - a certain level of body fat is healthy and will protect your joints, etc. You're obviously doing a lot right. Keep it up!
  • mamitosami
    Options
    What is your training schedule? Are you doing a weekly long run and do you find you have an unquenchable hunger the day after?

This isn't all that uncommon among runners.

I am doing a long run once a week (although, relatively speaking, with all this weight training, my runs are a lot shorter than they used to be--seems my body can't handle both!!). I do get very hungry the next day, but I usually burn 800 calories so it makes up for that run.

I think I will look into a getting a trainer to help get through this last amount of fat loss--I did find a very good article through here, finally http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html. Perhaps it will help others too. Seems I just need a little patience...
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

Very good point, and most of us learn this the hard way. I simultaneously tried to lose weight, build muscle, tone up, etc. and I drove my self nuts. When I got within 5-10 pounds of my goal about 4 months ago, I shifted away from focusing on weight loss and focused more on strength training. I lost weight slower, and am still 2 pounds from goal, but I have arm muscles! I am more toned! It's quite exciting, really. As soon as you free yourself from the burden of a specific weight number, your hard work from exercise will be rewarded.