crockpot recipes

Options
Sshamrock17s
Sshamrock17s Posts: 6 Member
Anyone have any good crock pot recipes? I'm thinking with beans, or vegetarian? I always do the same boring thing in the crock pot, some sort of roast with potatoes and carrots etc.

Replies

• meshellmybell76
    meshellmybell76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump..... I have another boring roast in the works for tomorrow.
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato & Vegetable Soup
    I made this for lunch and it was good and very filling. This makes about 7 - 1 cup servings.

2 1/2 c. diced sweet potatoes

2 1/2 c. frozen baby lima beans

1/2 onion

1 can corn

1 can 99% fat free chicken broth

1 can diced tomatoes

salt, pepper, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic powder

I put it all in the crockpot and let it cook for a few hours, then mixed 1 cup with 1/2 (dry) whole wheat pasta. It could use something else to add a little more flavor, but not sure what. I will definately make it again though. And yes I know I should be using fresh stuff instead of canned, but hey. Here's the nutrition info with the pasta...

Calories - 408

Carbs - 79

Fat - 3

Protien - 15
  • oreolover
    oreolover Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This site has a recipe for every day for a year (plus some), she has a lot of vegetarian recipes and a tutorial on how to cook beans in the crock (plus recipes). Enjoy!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Instead of a beef roast use a whole chicken. Add the vegetables just like you would a roast.
  • deej48
    Options
    I do! I just did a crock pot chicken dinner two nights ago and it's super low in calories as well as great tasting!
    - A half a breast of chicken (skinless and fatless)
    - Apple cider (1 cup)
    - McCormick Brown Sugar Seasoning (comes in packets from grocery store)
    Dump it all in the crock pot, cook on low for 2-3 hours.
    Then eat! And the house smells so good when you come home from work! Enjoy. :happy:
    OH! And the calories are entered in my log....take a look if you want.
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can look up allrecipes.com and type in what you're looking for. It's never let me down.:flowerforyou:
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Chili.

1/2 bag dry red kidney beans

1/2 bag dry pinto beans

1/2 bag dry black beans

1 can reduced sodium diced tomatoes with chilies and seasoning (including juice)

1 small can tomato paste

6 cups water

1 diced onion

1 diced anaheim pepper (decored and deseeded)

Pour everything into crockpot after dicing the vegetables and cook on low for 8 hours.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hoppin John! This isn't how I make it, but it's a good recipe:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2010/09/hoppin-john-slow-cooker-recipe.html

I use smoked turkey knecks
  • mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump! love the crockpot!
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Go to my blog. The second article in July 2011 shows a bunch of recipes.
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Corn Chowder

5 potatoes peeled and chopped
    2 white onions chopped
    2 celery stalks chopped
    2 cups cubed ham
    1 can corn undrained
    cover with water and add a chicken bouillion cube - or - cover with chicken broth
    cook on high until potatoes are soft (4hr approx)
    add one can evaporated milk, cook for 30 min longer

If you want to thicken it up at 1/2 package of Honest Earth Natural Mashed potatoes
  • Aprilhoogland
    Options
    crockpotgirls.com is a great website! They put a new video recipe up every Monday. They have everything from drinks to breakfast. You might have to adjust some of the ingredients to reduce the calories.
  • UrSeeingRed
    Options
    I love slow cooking because it really is the only kind I can manage.
    This blog is all about slow cooking. My favorite so far is a Chicken with black beans and salsa. So good!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/11/salsa-chicken-and-black-bean-soup.html
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I had a leftover ham bone from a ham I took to a church dinner last week. I threw it in the crockpot with 2 small bags of pinto beans (that I soaked overnight and rinsed) and some diced onion I dehydrated this summer. I covered the whole thing with water and let it cook overnight. My husband ate beans for breakfast and my mother-in-law and I ate some over scrambled eggs. They came out very tasty. I love pinto beans cooked with a little ground meat and chili powder, too.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I don't have too many vegetarian recipes, but I'm sure some of them can be adapted if you want to use artifical bacon bits instead of ham/sausage or use Tofu taco meat instead of ground beef or turkey.

Here's how I make chili:
    1 pound of cooked ground beef or ground turkey
    Two regular sized cans of tomato sauce
    one can of diced tomatoes
    one can of dark red kidney beans
    one diced onion
    one diced green pepper
    chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste. I use mostly chili powder and a little less of the others.

Throw all ingredients in and cook until it's simmering. Generally 8 hours on low is really tasty.

Here's my potato soup:
    One box of chicken stock (you could probably use vegetable stock if you want.)
    one pound of cooked turkey sausage (optional)
    six cut up potatoes
    one cut up onion
    a tsp of garlic
    Two or three cut up sticks of celery
    Cook for 4 hours on high
    Then, add a big glob of sour cream
    one can of evaporated milk
    one can of cream of whatever soup (or make your own if you're ambitious)
    add cheddar cheese as garnish

It's important to add the diary at the end rather than the beginning, because it changes texture.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    By the way, there are a whole bunch of books on amazon for slow cooking, and healthy slow cooking no less. I have a bunch on my wish list, but I haven't bought any yet.
  • StressedChaos
    StressedChaos Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a huge list of crockpot recipes that also gives ww points if anyone is interested I can email it. I would post it but it is 107 pages.
  • patty9013
    patty9013 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yummy....I am really digging that corn chowder recipe!!