Eating too much sugar!

Options
I try avoiding candies, soft drinks and mainly eat fruit instead. I also have an obsession with Starbucks light caramel frappachinos.
Yet every single day, I am over my recommended amount of sugar! How can I reduce my intake of sugar?! Can anyone help?:cry::cry:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If yoy're hitting your calorie goal and making progress, it's nothing to worry about.

If you're not making progess, adjust your calories.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If you're not against artificial sweetners, thats a good start.

My fathers been diabetic most of his life, so I use them too, cause they were abundant growing up (diet soda, candy etc).

Most are reduced or absent of sugar altogether. The biggest I'd say is in drinks, along with calories that people consume in beverages each day.

If you can figure that out, it may help cut down dramatically. If not, visit the health section of your local walmart or whatever, and check out the candies/foods in the sugar-free part. Even your bulk food stores will have them.

That, and don't go out trick or treating anymore!!!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    How to reduce your sugar? Plan out your day ahead of time and choose foods that don't have sugar in them. Sugar, on the other hand isn't hurting you. If losing weight is your goal, simply stay in a calorie deficit.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would be more worried about actually eating food than what your sugar is. Sorry, but you are not eating enough! Have some vegetables....
  • 1bigtabbycat
    1bigtabbycat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello - I have a horrible sweet tooth. I control it by eating a small portion of something fully loaded once in a while. Such as a fun size candy bar instead of a whole bar. I drink sugar free sweet tea (walmart sells it). Diet soda, my fav is Diet Dr Pepper or even better is Dr Pepper ten. You don't want to cut it out completely because you will then binge. I also like to have a tootsie pop or even animal crackers as a sweet treat. If you like ice cream, try frozen yogurt. Good taste with less numbers! Try drinking sugar free hot cocoa instead of Starbucks or hot tea sweetened with honey or splenda. Most candies you can find in a sugar free version. Hope some of these ideas work for you. They have helped me loose 38 pounds since June! Also, keep in mind ... all things in moderation-don't splurge!
  • clairibou1
    Options
    well, it looks like most of your sugar is coming from fruit. don't punish yourself for that! obviously starbucks drinks have a lot of sugar, but we all need a treat sometimes! :) as long as you stay under your calories and keep up with the natural sugars, you should be fine! good luck!
  • kabloozi
    kabloozi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Keep going on the fruits and know your servings...1/2 a banana is a serving for example.
    Eat surgarless gum in between for less snacking.
    Fibre to feel fuller.
    lots of water
    Focus!

You can do it Sunshine!!!
  • kabloozi
    Options
    Keep going on the fruits and know your servings...1/2 a banana is a serving for example.
    Fibre to feel fuller.
    lots of water
    Focus!

• kabloozi
    Options
    Fibre to feel fuller.
    lots of water
    Focus!

• crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If yoy're hitting your calorie goal and making progress, it's nothing to worry about.

agreed. If you're serious about staying within the MFP set limits for sugar intake you need to consider limiting dairy and fruit which are both sources of natural sugar. I also don't eat any added sugars but I eat lots of greek yogurt often times with fruit, so I'm always over too. I wouldn't worry about it, But consider having your fruit and dairy in the morning or before your work out so that you're not storing it but burning it and using it to fuel your workout.
  • Waterlou
    Waterlou Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Okay so if I still have a calorie deficit and I'm still losing weight then eating over my recommended amount of sugar is alright? Too much sugar won't cause any health problems though?
  • Waterlou
    Waterlou Posts: 5 Member
    Options

agreed. If you're serious about staying within the MFP set limits for sugar intake you need to consider limiting dairy and fruit which are both sources of natural sugar. I also don't eat any added sugars but I eat lots of greek yogurt often times with fruit, so I'm always over too. I wouldn't worry about it, But consider having your fruit and dairy in the morning or before your work out so that you're not storing it but burning it and using it to fuel your workout.

Ah that explains it then, I eat a lot of fruit and greek yogurt! Thanks!
  • mhncaldwell
    mhncaldwell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, it appears the reason you are going over your sugars is that many days you are eating a proportionally small amount of natural, whole foods. If, for example, you were to exchange some of the sweet drinks and candies you eat for raw or steamed vegetables like green beans, cucumbers or a tossed salad plus baked fish or chicken the amount of sugars you eat would go way down. (And I bet you will feel much more energetic and strong as well.)
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I agree. I always go over sugar but it is from fruit and I am still losing weight so I don't stress about it...
  • kerbrary
    Options
    I found this Frappucino swap recipe online. Might help save some pennies too if you make it at home (but I'm lazy so I totally understand that its much easier to pick up and buy the frapp).

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=319969
  • kerbrary
    Options
    I found this Frappucino swap recipe online. Might help save some pennies too if you make it at home (but I'm lazy so I totally understand that its much easier to pick up and buy the frapp).

• kerbrary
    Options

• Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb regardless where it's coming from. Candy, fruits, etc. If your calories from carbs are still within your daily calorie intake. Then you shouldn't even lose sleep over it. On the other hand if your eating above your daily calorie intake through the amount of carbs your consuming. Then you SHOULD adjust your carb intake.

Only time I would be concerned with sugar intake, is if your diabetic. In which you should be monitoring your blood sugar through carbs consumption.
  • bens_mommy
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would be more worried about actually eating food than what your sugar is. Sorry, but you are not eating enough! Have some vegetables....

I'm going to have to agree with this one, big time. Keep in mind that MFP doesn't differentiate between natural sugar (like fruits/veggies) and table sugar.

Example: of the fruit I had today (2 honeycrisp apples and a banana), the combined total is a whopping 48g of sugar! Does that mean I'm eating "too much sugar"?

I concern myself more with the quality of what I'm eating, and I don't even track my sugar intake because I know I'm going to go over every single day just from the fruit alone.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    More vegetables, fewer fruits. Yes, fruits are good for you, but from what I saw in your diary, you're not getting enough vegetables. Leafy greens are optimal, imo, especially if you're worried about sugar intake.