Any night shift wokers out there??

Options
I'm in need of some tips/advice here's my dilema:
I work night shift 7p-7a 3 days a week, every week varies and it's not a consistant 3 days straight. Some times I'm up 24 hours and I'm confused on how to track my calories and how to divide up my meals...Please help!

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    if you wanna be healthy and lose weight, eat a small portion every 3 to 4 hours and skip the time you would sleep.
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I always do midnight to midnight. I just might have my dinner one time much later in the day. My issue is munching when you are tired. Thankfully I'm not on nights right now but when I am I try to bring carrots, popcorn, etc anything that I can eat one at a time throughout the night to keep myself busy.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I love woking at night!
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm not a night-shifter, but i'm often up later than midnight which is technically a new day, but i log from the time i wake up till the time i go to bed. You could do the same, regardless of whether you're eating breakfast at 6 in the evening or dinner at 8 in the morning...... i'd say just log from time you start your day, till you end it... and just name your meals normally (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) instead of time frames.... GOOD LUCK =-)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I consider a "day" from wake-up to bedtime. Doesn't matter what times those are. Doesn't matter if your "breakfast" is at 2pm.
  • klaimedinsane
    Options
    Night shift... I work a steady 11P-7A sunnight - friday am..

logging can be a bit of a throw off but when i log i try to stay with whatever general meal... like i eat supper for tuesday night but not till 2am wed.. i drink my protein shake wed am but at like 5am(breakfast) sleep (so usually no lunch log) supper for wed around 2am thurs...

if that makes sence... hope it helps :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I consider a "day" from wake-up to bedtime. Doesn't matter what times those are. Doesn't matter if your "breakfast" is at 2pm.

*This.

I have worked third shift for years. I log everything on "Tuesday" if I woke up on Tuesday, even if technically my dinner was sometime Wednesday morning. I go to bed and wake up on Wednesday, and then log Wednesday's food.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I always do midnight to midnight. I just might have my dinner one time much later in the day. My issue is munching when you are tired. Thankfully I'm not on nights right now but when I am I try to bring carrots, popcorn, etc anything that I can eat one at a time throughout the night to keep myself busy.

This!
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options

same here. I work a pretty regular shift 11p-7a 3 days in a row, and I always just track midnight to midnight. My problem isn't when I'm at work, but when I have a night off and I'm at home (while everyone else is sleeping) and I get bored and start munching then.
  • unicorn1081
    unicorn1081 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    im a night shifter too. i agree with whats been said here. log its as meals and not by the time you ate them. i usually take small healthy snacks to munch on while at work so that i have energy, but i usually dont have bigger meals until i get home. hope that helps. good luck and stay motivated!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I record each day as waking hours. ie: I work 7pm - 6am. I record "Sunday" as the time I woke up until I get home and go to sleep. That includes all the food, and exercise I do from approximately 2pm Sunday to 8am Monday.
  • asaba1013
    Options

*This.

I have worked third shift for years. I log everything on "Tuesday" if I woke up on Tuesday, even if technically my dinner was sometime Wednesday morning. I go to bed and wake up on Wednesday, and then log Wednesday's food.

i agree with these two... i work 11-7now... i go back and complete the previous days log... were always a day behind on this schedule!!! example of my situation: i wake up at 5pm on monday evening, i eat breakfast then...morning snack at around 830... lunch at about 1230(midnight) afternoon snack at 230am and dinner at 6am... in bed by 8am! wake up and do it again! lol =) good luck
  • glad23
    glad23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good advice :smile:
  • honeybadger175
    honeybadger175 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work 6p-6am and I've found that tracking midnight to midnight is easier to log food. If you'd like to add me (or any other night shifters) please do, not many of us on here...

You can view my diary as well....I've re named meals MEAL 1, MEAL 2, MEAL 3 and SNACKS instead of breakfast lunch and dinner since our meals tend to be a bit crazy
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I work 10PM-630A. My first meal is at 8PM, so 8PM to 8PM is my 24 hour period. I track everything within that time frame.