What do you do if you have a bad diet day?

Options
Hello everybody!

Yesterday, I ate and drank way too much all day long. I did burn some calories exercising, but still it was a very bad diet day. Today, I'm back up, sticking to my programme; it isn't pleasant, but I sure do not let one single day destroy the self-conciousness I'm gaining seeing my weight loss results. Anyway, I wanted to ask you:

How do you react after or during a bad diet day?
Do you do extra exercise the day after?
Do you change your diet the day after in order to compensate?

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I drink extra water the next day and go back to my usual schedule. I don't usually exercise more (sometimes a little) because if you get too exhausted you may have another bad day :) Depending on how much I was over on my bad day sometimes I try to shave an extra hundred calories off each day for the rest of the week to balance it out.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Acknowledge it has happened. Try to understand why and come up with strategies to deal with that same circumstance if it comes up again,then put it behind and get on with today. I can't change the past so all that matters now is today and moving forward.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just pick up the next day and get back on the wagon! I do try to examine if there were reasons it was a bad day (stress, emotional eating, whatever) and try to list a couple things I could do differently to avoid it in the future.
  • xAdrianax
    xAdrianax Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    i dust myself off and start again fresh the next day. It can turn into a vicous circle if you are trying to catch up and un-do damage.

I would just continue as normal the next day, you may be up a couple of pounds but 2/3 days eating right and water will get rid x
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Firstly - I know it's hard, but try not to feel too guilty about it, if you are going to indulge make sure that you really enjoy every morsel of food and booze you put into your mouth - otherwise what's the point? Remember this is a lifestyle change, and you can't expect to go the rest of your whole life without a day off every now and then - just make sure that it doesn't happen too often and it really shouldn't effect your weight loss too much. Remember you need to eat an extra 3500 calories above maintainence to gain 1lb.

If I do over indulge I make sure that I drink shed-loads of water the next day - usually foods I binge on are high in salt and sugar and water really seems to help me feel better. But generally I'll make sure I get in some exercise (but I do that most days anyway) and eat healthily, but I don't do anything that different to any other day. I'm not going to punish myself for eating! Just carry on as if it hadn't happened.

Good Luck x
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I get up ... pop some headache medicine if I need it ... tell myself I'm human and go on with life. It happens.

I might do some extra exercises depending on my schedule, but for the most part I just mark it down as something that's in the past. I get back on plan with food and drink in excess of 8 glasses of water for the next few days.
  • myth4ever
    Options
    It is just one day...... It is done with, make today better than yesterday!
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If I have a bad diet day I chalk it up to a learning experience. I have given up on the black and white thinking of all or nothing. Guilt doesn't serve anybody, least of me beating me up for a tasty treat isn't going to fix the "damage".

I have come to think of this trek as a journey, not a destination. Everyday I get a chance to be the best me I can be. Don't go crazy trying to catch up with the calories you consumed, it won't work.

Today is a fresh day. Eat well to nourish your body and shake your body to get a good sweat on. It will eventually all come together.

Good luck!
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same thing that everyone else has said. I try to balance it all out for the week. I had a day , recently, like what you are talking about..--who knew I could drink an entire bottle of wine ?? (not really like me). But, I try to balance it out during the week. Some extra excercise, and really staying under calories. While it felt bad.. if you really look at it.. you would be able to make up for it during the week. Oh, and I always weigh in on Saturday morning. My bad days are usually Sat and Sunday... then if I goof up. .. I have the whole week before my next weigh in !! Remember .. lifestyle change! This is life.. bad days will happen. :)
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    How do you react after or during a bad diet day?

I shake my head take a deep breath and plan to do better the following day

Do you do extra exercise the day after?

sometimes

Do you change your diet the day after in order to compensate?

yep eat healthier and kick it into gear, u can splurge once in awhile it doesn't hurt, just get back on track the next day
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I just move on. The next day, I do my best to stay on track and not let the previous day make me continue eating more calories than I know I should be having. I do my workouts as planned. Then I remember that I didn't have the best workouts possible because I overate the day before, and it motivates me to stay more focused. There's really no use to "punishing" myself with extra exercise or restricting more calories. That will just make me want to give up completely.
  • julespickles
    julespickles Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of bad days in the last week (we were burgled on Thursday night and it really shook me up :mad: ) but I've logged all my foods, tried to keep up with exercise, and I'm hoping to have a couple of very good days to balance out my weekly average. In the past I would have used a bad phase as an excuse to lose all control and go on a week-long binge, so I'm trying to look at it in a more healthy way!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I just carry on as before and try to put the bad day out of my mind. Easy to fall into the "I ate badly yesterday, so I may as well carry on today......" trap

Use the bad day as experience to learn from in the future.....

Sue :smile: x
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    these are some helpful suggestions. I just had a terrible day yesterday. I feel disgusted and am glad that I am not the only one who has them! Time to start the day fresh!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Acknowledge it has happened. Try to understand why and come up with strategies to deal with that same circumstance if it comes up again,then put it behind and get on with today. I can't change the past so all that matters now is today and moving forward.

i agree with this.

if i have been 'bad' because of a social event then it doesnt bother me, i just make sure i enjoy everything i have!!

if you ate for emotional reasons then you need to look at that, but dont beat yourself up about it too much, its only one day, today will be better!
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I go right back to my normal routine, but I'll cut out any little "extras" ie dessert or a cocktail. I'll also really amp up my workouts! One day won't blow it, just get back on track! :bigsmile:

Good luck!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What do I do?

1. I acknowledge that I enjoyed a nice meal/snack/drink and had a great time.
    2. I work out how much I was over and look at my average for the week.
    3. If I'm significantly over then yes I try to balance it with a lighter day (or more) and increase my exercise till I get the weekly average down. If I'm still within 200 cals or so of my weekly average I know I will still lose weight at a half decent rate.
    4. I realize that the calorie counter re starts every day and that if I'm good I can enjoy another good meal/snack/drink and have a good time again!
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am currently having a bad diet month...
  • uLinx
    uLinx Posts: 148
    Options
    Thank you very much for your posts! :love: You're a great support!

I can't avoid feeling a bit guilty and that's one reason more to enjoy being back on track today. :smile:
    I hadn't breakfast this morning, because I had a stomachache :blushing: , but I'm going to eat normal for lunch and I'm looking forward to today's workout. :bigsmile:

Have a nice burning day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for having one bad diet day. I tend to have a string of them...less now than before.

What I try to do is remember that it is just one day. It happens and acknowledge that this one "bad" day does not ruin anything. Also, it does not represent everyday eating habits.
    That's what I try to do. And I am getting better at doing that.

What I actually did, to be honest, was that I beat myself up. Probably, more so than I should. I've learned that is not productive, in fact sometimes it was counterproductive!
    For me, positive thinking helps with my efforts, motivation and spirit. Likewise, beating myself up, and negative feelings tend to push me towards those moments when you feel you "need" some sort of "comfort food." (A lifelong habit that I am changing. Its a struggle but succeeding.)

Lately, if I do have a "bad" diet day, I will try to compensate the next several days appropriately.

I know that Thanksgiving is few weeks away. Sometimes it feels that the holidays are around the corner. When in fact they are already here! Halloween was not so bad, just one day of candy; followed by several days of eating right and added activities. Likewise, I am more vigilant this year that years in the past. I plan to ramp up my activity (e.g. exercise, more yard work, added projects, etc. etc.) to compensate for those extra calories.