Flaxseed ??

Options
prettyfitchick
prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
Ok i bought some flaxseed and I dont really know what to do with it I just know its supposed to be good for me and high in fiber I didnt get the ground kind but any ideas would help

Replies

• noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I also just bought a bag of ground flaxseed and have been using it in smoothies. I also made meatballs and instead of using bread crumbs, just used the flaxseed. I have read you can replace oil with flaxseed but have not tried that yet!

I have also sprinkled it in cereal and cottage cheese.
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You want to grind it up to get any benefit from it, from what I understand. Buy a little coffee bean grinder (about $10 at Walmart) and grind up a bit at a time. Keep it in the fridge. I put a tablespoon in my oatmeal every morning. Add it to my spaghetti sauce or meatloaf. Or homemade salad dressing.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Grind it up.

Put it in smoothies, waffles, oatmeal, cereal, sauces, breads, cakes. . . I use some in just about everything.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump I always wanted to know how to use flaxseeds cause I would love to try it.
  • schrammae
    schrammae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but I bet you could Google it. There is a Labanese bread that is made with flax seed. It is amazing, especially with hummus. It's kind of like a pita, but lighter. Wish I knew exactly what it is called. I had a friend who always used to make it for me.
  • kellystjohn88
    kellystjohn88 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Put in some pancakes!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I love the whole seeds in salads, soups, pasta, everything! It adds a nice crunch:bigsmile:
  • bookdame
    Options
    You can eat it mixed with your salad dressing, but my favorite way to eat it is in yogurt with berries!

I really need to start eating flax again... luckily I found a bakery that makes bread with flaxseeds so I'm getting my little dose every day!
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I put it on my yogurt - it actually tastes great!

And don't forget that you I think you want the milled seeds or to grind it yourself. I believe (and I'm no expert) that if its the whole seed the body can't break it down to get the benefits. At least that is what I found during my research...
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ok i bought some flaxseed and I dont really know what to do with it I just know its supposed to be good for me and high in fiber I didnt get the ground kind but any ideas would help

grind it up, mix it in food. a few pinches to start, then increase. pretty simple.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ground flaxseed can go bad pretty quickly though...so only ground small amounts at a time. The whole flaxseeds keep a lot longer without spoiling.
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    I sprinkle flaxseeds on top of oatmeal and yogurt. I also put them into pancakes and other baked goods. I don't measure, just kinda put a couple of spoon fulls in. They have a nice nutty flavor!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    thanks guys for all the tips I am try to grind some of it
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    ground flaxseed can go bad pretty quickly though...so only ground small amounts at a time. The whole flaxseeds keep a lot longer without spoiling.

Absolutely right and great point. I put mine in the freezer and use it within two weeks.
  • msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use Cold Milled Flax Seed Organic, Ground, I put it in 100% with Pulp Orange Juice, It's Super Good For you, Make sure if You need to take Meds To wait about 2 hours. as it can absorb your Meds, I might add, I was in Amish Country last Month and Went into a Little Store and Of All the Herbs Spices and Naturals they Had, Flax Seed is the Only one that Had a Full Book, "The Health and Bennifits of Flax seed" "Really Wish Now I would have Bought it" The Only Down Side If You are watching your Calories it's 90 per serving, 2 tbls, I use 3, I Just Upped using it Every day instead of Everyother Day!.Hope this Helps Some.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i love the flavour of flax seed oil, put it in my brown rice. or even with egg on a sandwich in place of butter.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    you can pretty much add it in anything!!!!! it has a slight nutty flavor. i usually sprinkle it on cereals, yogurts, in my smoothies, when i bake bread just springle about 1/4 cup in there, anything with bread really i add it to, scrambled eggs..... favorite is in smoothies though, i can add a lot in it and its hardly noticeable!! if you use like a bread topping, like panko, you can mix it in there with that, or in pie crusts

it really has a very VERY subtle flavor and will add a little crunchiness to your food so you can add it to anything pretty much!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Flax pancakes:
    1 cup of ground flax
    1/4 cup kefir or cream or milk
    4 eggs
    pumpkin puree, or apple sauce - enough to get it to a watered down consistency
    vanilla, etc.

Let the mix sit for about 5 minutes and it will thicken up. Then cook like normal. They are YUM and SO good for you. Especially if you use kefir.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I add Flaxseed meal to my smoothies

Cream of wheat, oatmeal, pancakes and cold cereal for my husband and sons. They can't tell the difference! I'm sneaky lol :p
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    my breakfast every other day
    strawberries
    blueberries
    granola cereal
    flax seeds
    greek yogurt