HRM's, how much do they help?

2»

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    I'm not sure if your "GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO LOW BODY FAT" comment was directed at me or not. If it was, you're WAY off base.

No, that statement is not directed at you in any way. I know nothing about you, other than you claim to be male and 31 years old. And you possess a photo that you are representing yourself with.

That is comment is for anyone to read and appreciate. Many people I know on here would like to "look fantastic naked". Many people with that goal will never achieve it, because they are fighting genetics. But they can look good with clothes on. On the other hand, to my point, if someone is fighting their own genetics, and they are trying to "look fantastic naked", they might be able to do so with the help of an HRM.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I know tracking exercise calories is a big deal around here, but I don't think it's necessary. The reason is that most people's activity is pretty consistent on a weekly basis. All that's really needed is to stay consistent with your calories, and adjust them if you're not losing weight.

Tools like that may be useful for those whose activity varies greatly, but for most, it's unnecessary nit-picking.

Dude, no offense. I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but I have serious issues with this post.

First, you've stated your opinion: "I don't think it's necessary to track exercise calories". OK, that's cool.

Then you added your basis: "most people's activity is pretty consistent on a weekly basis." Wow, amazing insight into the human population! Impressive. I noted that you didn't say "dieters", or "Americans", or "MFP users", etc. You said "people".

Then you added a qualification: "Tools like that may be useful for those whose activity varies greatly." The minority of the human population, I'm inferring from your post.

You have an amazing premise. For a 31 year old guy with a photo of a person with good abs, and not much else to lend credibility to your statement, its hard to take what you say with more than "a grain of salt".

Having said that, most Registered Dietitians would probably agree with you. That is generally their approach. Please understand that keeping track of exercise calories provides ancillary benefits. Just like keeping a food diary, tracking calories expended give the MFP user a tangible measurement of what he/she is doing daily/weekly/yearly. How much.

I will agree with your statement, "All that's really needed is to stay consistent with your calories, and adjust them if you're not losing weight." IF YOUR ONLY GOAL FOR BEING HERE IS TO LOSE WEIGHT. But this website/app/tool is not called "MyDietPal".

Now your basis. Dude, come on. Weak. Sorry. Most people? Really?!?

Now to the OP and others who may be interested. An HRM is a great tool for fitness. You don't HAVE to have one to lose weight. It is the best tool to assess your body's response to the moment-to-moment changes in your physical activity. People often wonder how much and in which intensities they should train to gain maximum benefit. The simplest means of determining this is to listen to your own body. Heart rate based training gives clear guidance on how to train to reach your individual goals, based on your personal heart rate and heart rate variability.

Here is a little bit of information about the benefits of using an HRM:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/solpwr/view/heart-rate-the-window-inside-the-body-163402

Finally, if your goal in being here is too just look fantastic, AND YOU ARE GENETICALLY PREDISPOSED TO LOW BODY FAT, you could probably forego using an HRM completely. If your goal is to look really good, you could probably go without one.

If you would like to really quantify your exercise efforts in the best way possible, an HRM is the best tool to do that. If you want insight into whether you are over-training or under-training, HRM is the best for that. If you are active in a sport such as running or cycling or cross country skiing or hiking or climbing or football or soccer or *insert active sport here*, an HRM is a great tool to find out if you can improve in your sport.

If you have (or at some point in the future will) become more focused on your fitness or your athletic performance as opposed to your obesity or external appearance, I would recommend using an HRM, without a doubt.

thanks for your insight!

My goal is definitely not just about getting skinny. I am most definitely focused on becoming fit and healthy, not just a number on the scale.
    I think I'll hold off getting an HRM for now simply because money is so tight but will definitely get one as soon as there is a little more money flow.

Again, thanks for everyone's input!
  • I love my Polar. I wear it every time I work out and it has been incredibly helpful when keeping track of my aerobic vs. anaerobic heart rate zones. I was going way over where my body most efficiently burns fat, and with the help of my trainer, I'm working towards keeping my heart rate where it needs to be for efficiency's sake. I spent about $100 on mine 3 years ago, I've never had a problem with it, and it was worth every penny in my humble opinion. If you find motivation from it and it keeps you going, then I think it's definitely money well spent. It's an investment in you and your health!

Good luck!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    I'm glad you are so self impressed that you can make a blanket statement about the rest of us and think we give a *kitten* what you think.

I'm just stating my opinion like everyone else around here. It goes without saying that people are free to take it or leave it.

And the "blanket statement" I made was correct. Look at the threads on the front page of each forum. Lost of stuff about weight loss, not a whole lot about shaving a few seconds off of one's 5k time.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    It has helped me b/c it motivates me during my workout. I can see if my heartrate is 'in the zone' or if I need to push harder, and I can see how many calories I've already burned during the workout (which can motivate me to work harder or longer to burn more). I was not struggling with the weightless before I got it, but I had a hard time motivating myself to workout. I could 'see' what I was accomplishing with my food intake by logging my calories, but I couldn't really 'see' what I was accomplishing by working out before getting the HRM. I like having numbers in front of me to compare. Yes I would have eventually 'seen' the results of working out throug changes in my body, but I like having a way to know how my work is paying off *right then*, and that's what my HRM does for me. :-)

This is exactly what I would have said!
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    I think my HRM was one of the best investments I've made in my weight loss journey. I like being able to see what I'm burning. I've also found that, for me, my HRM is much more accurate than MFP. Previously, MFP was estimating calories burned that were 300 - 400 off! For someone who eats back some of my exercise calories, that was a big game changer when I stopped using MFP for my calories burned and began to go by for HRM. It's worth the money!
This discussion has been closed.