Quantity vs Quality debate

Options
I've been having a small debate with my dad over calories vs the quality of food.

For example

I still use REAL half and half because it only has milk and cream in the ingredient list (I just use less of it). He uses the fat free kind because its lower in fat and calories but his ingredient list is a mile long and includes high fructose corn syrup.

I use 12 grain bread that has 6 grams of fiber per slice thats 110 calories, he uses wheat bread that has 2 grams of fiber per slice and 35 calories.

So which is better? The lower calories highly processed items, or the slightly higher calorie items with healthier ingredients and more fiber?

I'm new to the calorie counting thing, but have tried to adapt my way of eating to the heart healthy diet my dad followed after his bypass surgery (whole grains, lower fat, more fiber).

Thanks in advance for your posts.

Replies

• soupreem27
    soupreem27 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go over your calorie goal you're fine :smile: . You have to remember that everyone is different so no two people are alike when it comes to food and what works best for them. Keep up the good work!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Typically the less ingredients the healthier. But that does not mean better for weight loss.

Eating healthy is not the same as eating to lose weight. You can lose weight eating crap or gain weight eating healthy food.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think that there are people who are living proof of both sides. It's a matter of preferance and what works for you. I prefer quality for the most part. I use real butter (less chemicals, more natural), natural whole wheat bread, etc. I think it's better to avoid chemicals because our bodies can use natural foods and ingredients better.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Your diet should have sufficient micronutrients and minerals. After that, it doesn't matter.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    To me, eat as healthily as you can while loosing weight. It's not easy, and often there's a trade off.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Depends on the context of the situation, therefore neither of your examples could show one is better than the other. If your asking is less processed better, generally speaking, yes we can make that corrolation, but not all the time, again depending on the goals set by the individual. Eating natural food but not hitting your required calories can make that big mack important on that occation. :smile:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Your diet should have sufficient micronutrients and minerals.
    Agreed. I would only add that I think that the idea of "sufficient" when it comes to micronutrients and minerals might not be well defined. In general, I think the RDA recommendation is thought to be sufficient to prevent acute deficiency, but not necessarily sufficient to promote long-term health and help prevent disease. I think nutrition science is a long way off from knowing everything about the way these substances function in our body.

(Here I'm assuming that by "better" you mean "better for overall health" and not just weight loss and body composition.)
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, it may not really matter. In terms of health and longevity, it is best to eat unprocessed food. It is really a matter of balance though. As long as you are meeting your nutrtitional goals, a few processed items are probably not going to hurt you IMO. For me personally, I definitely feel better and have more energy when I am eating a more natural diet.
  • mistylynnfoster
    mistylynnfoster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. In the long-run, I say definitely choose quality over quantity. You might be able to eat 4 slices of processed low-cal wheat bread for the same calories as 1 slice of high-quality whole wheat, but I bet the latter is absorbed much better by the body and used for fuel the way that it should be. If you are vastly overweight, then dropping some pounds might be your most important goal at first. It's simple calories in vs. calories out. In that case, eating low-cal versions of foods so that you can eat more of it to feel full might be important to you. However, I believe that eventually, everyone needs to deal with the issue of the quality of the food they are putting into their body. For me, I have tested it out and found that if I eat fruits, veggies, and high-fiber grains and other carbs, I lose weight better and feel better than if I eat low-call over-processed foods and the same number of calories. Not to mention, I feel SO much better and more engergized. Losing weight is simple and complicated at the same time. And sooner or later, it becomes less about losing weight and more about being healthy. Healthy, of course, means maintaining a healthy weight, but it also means giving your body the right kind of fuel and nutrients.

That's my two cents. :)
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    To me, whole foods is where it's at. Why would I want to put something into my body of which I can't even pronounce some of the indgredients? Sure, you still must watch the calories, but quality whole foods over chemicals any day.
  • BeastlyBetty
    BeastlyBetty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tend to lean the way you do... I just feel better when I eat the real thing... That might be mental though. :) I think it's fine to have the option and take advantage once in a while, but I prefer the basics.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I believe "quality in the correct amount of quantity". Eating healthier (fewer ingredients) food at the proper calorie amount is the best long-term way to stay healthy and at a healthy weight. That's the path I'm following. :smile:
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I happen to agree with you. If I eat 'fake products' I am never fully satiated and then tend to binge and over eat. So while his might work for you, your foods are more nutrient rich including actual fat.

Here's my example... I can drink 3 diet sodas at once but when i pick up a regular soda it's hard to drink the hole can. With the diet soda I'm more than likely reaching for a bag of chips as well.
  • hml1976
    Options
    I believe "quality in the correct amount of quantity". Eating healthier (fewer ingredients) food at the proper calorie amount is the best long-term way to stay healthy and at a healthy weight. That's the path I'm following. :smile:

This. I spent years eating low cal, low fat, low carb, avoiding "real food." Getting my fitness and weight together this time has included learning to really cook and eating things that I never would have touched before. Tonight..spaghetti bolognese for dinner...never would have eaten it before. But I enter my recipes and choose the right serving size. And I'm not hungry later!!!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    To me, eat as healthily as you can while loosing weight. It's not easy, and often there's a trade off.

This.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere around 70/30, quality/quantity. - still a fewconvenient foods or "diet" foods on my grocery receipt but not nearly as many as there used to be.

When I started with WW about 2 years ago, I was all about getting as much food as I could for the points I got per day (not unlike staying within your calorie limits here) and pretty much lived on diet foods. Then I started reading more about ingredients and am slowly making changes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of preference. What do you see yourself eating for the rest of your life? I used to eat the 35 calorie bread when "dieting" but would never eat that bread otherwise, that's was a bad plan on my part. Now I am incorporating more real foods in my "diet." But I find that somethings just don't matter a much, for example skim milk is fine by me.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    For weightloss, quantity (calories) is the main thing. You can eat the 'higher quality' foods that may also be higher in calories as long as you are conscious of your calorie goals. Eating full-fat anything is not going to stop you from losing weight unless you eat too much of it. For some people it may be *easier* to use low-cal, low-fat, etc alternatives, but it's not necessary to sacrifice the types of foods you would rather eat for whatever reason. It's all about balance and what works for you. If you are concerned with the health aspect, eat the things and quantities that you think help you reach your goals both in health and weightloss.
  • soupreem27
    soupreem27 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Depends on the context of the situation, therefore neither of your examples could show one is better than the other. If your asking is less processed better, generally speaking, yes we can make that corrolation, but not all the time, again depending on the goals set by the individual. Eating natural food but not hitting your required calories can make that big mack important on that occation. :smile:

I agree with the Big Mack theory :tongue: lol
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I find it's much easier to hit my macros and micros when I'm eating 'real' food vs when I'm eating processed stuff. As far as weight-loss goes, what everyone else said is true, it doesn't really matter.

But I don't just want to be thin, I want to be healthy! I want to feel good and do good things for the planet. Call me a hippie if you must, but that's how I feel. And part of that is not buying crap foods with crap ingredients, not eating lots of factory farm meats, and supporting my local farms.