Green Stuff

Options
2»

Replies

• creams224
    creams224 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lately i've stopped my fat *kitten* from eating hot pockets and other garbage for lunch and to be honest i'm loving this whole salad thing.

but like all things, it's getting boring since I have the same kind of salad every day.

- Spinach Leaves
    - Diced Tomato
    - 1 Oz Ham (diced)
    - 1/8 Cup Shredded Cheese
    - Chipotle Tabasco for the dressing because ranch and all other dressings to me are either nasty or loaded with **** I dont wanna eat lol

What do you put on salad what will keep my calories low but burst with flavor. :)

mmm, that sounds good
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love olive oil and red wine vinegar as a dressing--I throw in basil, oregano, thyme with it.
    I put Parmesan cheese on my salads a lot. Feta is awesome as well.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    candied pecans, grilled chicken, craisins, balsamic vinagrette- bacon bits if you want a lil salty flavor

roasted beets, candied pecans or walnuts, goat cheese, grilled peaches, balsamic vinagrette

lettuce, black beans, corn, salsa mixed with ranch *or jus salsa*, variety of bell peppers, red onion, grilled chicken if you wish

roasted pears, nuts, crasins, balsamic vinagrette, goat cheese

greek salad- kalamata olives, red onion, grilled chicken, greek vinagrette, pepercinnis, feta cheese

strawberries, spinach, walnuts or pecans, poppyseed vinagrettte, blueberries, pinapple- could even throw a scoop of cottage cheese

tuna mixed with onion, lemon juice, celery, chili powder-serve on a bed of lettuce, tomato, shredded carrots, italian dressing

apple cider vinegar, beets, greens, shredded carrots, boiled egg, artichoke hearts, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad everyday for lunch too. I like to put slivered almonds and craisons in mine. If I don't have chicken I will add an egg.

Today my salad was....

baby spinach
    broccolli
    cauliflower
    mushroom
    tomato
    red onion
    chicken
    craisons
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    candied pecans, grilled chicken, craisins, balsamic vinagrette- bacon bits if you want a lil salty flavor

roasted beets, candied pecans or walnuts, goat cheese, grilled peaches, balsamic vinagrette

lettuce, black beans, corn, salsa mixed with ranch *or jus salsa*, variety of bell peppers, red onion, grilled chicken if you wish

roasted pears, nuts, crasins, balsamic vinagrette, goat cheese

greek salad- kalamata olives, red onion, grilled chicken, greek vinagrette, pepercinnis, feta cheese

strawberries, spinach, walnuts or pecans, poppyseed vinagrettte, blueberries, pinapple- could even throw a scoop of cottage cheese

tuna mixed with onion, lemon juice, celery, chili powder-serve on a bed of lettuce, tomato, shredded carrots, italian dressing

apple cider vinegar, beets, greens, shredded carrots, boiled egg, artichoke hearts, feta cheese, cherry tomatoes

Great ideas in here stefchica....I will be adding some black beans to mine tomorrow. I always seem to have a job getting my protiens in...so that will be great.
  • kwamsat
    kwamsat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In a small mixing bowl, salad mixer, or small zip-lock container...add flavored vinegar and extra virgin olive oil...salt and pepper, and chopped cilantro or parsley. I use it sparingly, add it to my greens and then put a lid on the container and shake it up.

I am big into salsa too..and then there is always those low-cal spritzer dressing. They're decent.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Butterball pre-cooked southwestern grilled chicken breasts are a convenient and tasty salad ingredient. Especially good with Walden Farms calorie-free Chipotle Ranch. With radishes, black beans, corn and a lime vinagrette, you've got yourself a tasty Mexican salad, tortilla chips optional.
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Lots of baby spinach, with one of the following combinations (these are my go-to salads):

- Pomegranate seeds, mandarin orange slices, and (candied) pecans, with a raspberry vinaigrette: sweet and refreshing with just enough tartness to keep things interesting :)

- Carrots, diced apple, and a little shredded cheddar: I make my own vinaigrette to go on this (recipe below)

- Celery, mandarin orange slices, slivered almonds, and green onion (with the same vinaigrette as before) - this one is nice, kind of Asian-inspired, very refreshing.

- Watermelon, crumbled feta, and pecans - a DELICIOUS summer salad, I can't say enough good things about this, it's ridiculously tasty! You can also substitute strawberries for the watermelon, or, heck, use 'em both~! I like raspberry vinaigrette on this one.

Vinaigrette recipe (this makes quite a lot, more than enough for four servings--I usually just put one or maybe one and a half on and toss, just enough to coat the leaves; you don't need much.

White Satin - Granulated White Sugar, 6 teaspoon
    Oil - Olive, 0.25 cup
    Heinz - Distilled White Vinegar, 2 tbsp
    Parsley - Freeze-dried, 1 tbsp
    Sauce - Pepper, tabasco, 0.25 tsp
  • LadyoftheDisc
    LadyoftheDisc Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ran into the same problem not long ago.
    Here are some combo's I've been using,
    I love a good crunch in my salad, so you'll notice
    each has something in it that'll give a different crunch!

-Cheese (usually cheddar), walnuts, apples.
    -Almonds, cranberries, feta cheese, grilled chicken.
    -Black beans, baked scoops, avocado, chicken, cheese.
    -Raisins, pear, gorgonzola cheese, and pecans.

I have found adding nuts really jazzes up a salad and they're healthy, unlike croutons!

Have fun :)