losing weight and freezing

Options
A co-worker told me today that when you are burning fat you can feel cold afterwards when you wouldn't normally be cold. Is this true? I never heard of this before. It started because I was telling the girls that I was so cold last night when I went to bed which was 1 1/2 hours after i left the gym from working out last night.

Replies

• Labcoathipster
    Options
    I'd be interested to find this out as well, because it happens to me all the time!! I just thought it was because of sweat or something.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I dunno tbh coz im one of those people thats mainly always cold lol. Pretty annoying.
  • mssgirl11
    mssgirl11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump! i am always cold after my workouts!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Freezing here too... all the time... I wear a lot of wool!!:laugh:
  • LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Same here. I'm never cold either! It only happens if I've been sweating which only happens when I'm doing my stair stuff or hitting the treadmill for an hour or so.
  • reammi
    reammi Posts: 70
    Options
    I'm also very interested in this. I have lost 66 pounds this year and I have to say I'm constantly freezing now. I find that my fingers and fintertips go numb from being so cold. I never recall this happening in the past.
  • Luchesse
    Options
    Why do I often feel cold just after exercising?
    When you get cold, even feel cold or get goose bumps at the end of an exercise session or after, you are dehydrated, that is, your body requires water. During exercising, heat from your working muscles is transported by the aid of water to your skin where it is transformed into sweat. If there is too little fluid in your body, it will start "economising" on the water so that less water and blood will be transported to your skin. The skin then feels less warm. Another economising mechanism consists in the sweat glands in your skin contracting, producing the small bumps on your skin called goose bumps. What is seen in your skin are the small muscles and when they are contracted, your skin will give off less water. That is why you get goose bumps when you need water. One or both signs often indicate dehydration, unless the air is cold where you exercise. That may also be the reason why you get cold.

From this article

http://seek4fitness.net/Articles/View/FAQ-about-exercise-and-health.html
  • reharvrun
    Options
    I'm sure the fact that you have lost weight may make you colder because there is not much fat on your bones as before. However, I have found that my metabolism won't stop since I started working out. I seem to sweat more and have to double up on the deoderant even when I am not working out. It can be embarrassing at times. I don't dare wear gray shirts anymore. I hope you warm up. Maybe a good electric blanket would help!:)
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Fat is our insulation against the cold. We get used to a certain amount and when we lose part of that amount, we feel colder. You do get used to the smaller amount of fat (especially in the summertime!) Then when winter comes around again, it is not as bad as the previous winter (or I have learned to dress more warmly! ;)
  • _tiifyjo_
    _tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I googled this topic and this is a quote from a website -

When you get cold, even feel cold or get goose bumps at the end of an exercise session or after, you are dehydrated, that is, your body requires water. During exercising, heat from your working muscles is transported by the aid of water to your skin where it is transformed into sweat. If there is too little fluid in your body, it will start "economising" on the water so that less water and blood will be transported to your skin. The skin then feels less warm. Another economising mechanism consists in the sweat glands in your skin contracting, producing the small bumps on your skin called goose bumps. What is seen in your skin are the small muscles and when they are contracted, your skin will give off less water. That is why you get goose bumps when you need water. One or both signs often indicate dehydration, unless the air is cold where you exercise. That may also be the reason why you get cold.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Same here. I'm never cold either! It only happens if I've been sweating which only happens when I'm doing my stair stuff or hitting the treadmill for an hour or so.

Me either. I am hardly ever cold. In fact i usually don't even cover up during the winter when I go to bed except occasionally I cover up with a sheet.
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    I googled this topic and this is a quote from a website -

the thing is that I drink water all day and before, during, and after my workouts so I dont really think I am dehydrated. I wasn't cold until right before I went to bed and I grabbed an extra blanket from the guest room to cover up with. Hubby was laughing at me after he asked if I was getting sick and i said no that I was just really cold.... shivering cold

This weekend I am getting an electric blanket for my bed!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    This is true. Burning fat = more blood flow to fat cells = your fingers and toes feel cold because there's no fat there.
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    Fat is our insulation against the cold. We get used to a certain amount and when we lose part of that amount, we feel colder. You do get used to the smaller amount of fat (especially in the summertime!) Then when winter comes around again, it is not as bad as the previous winter (or I have learned to dress more warmly! ;)

I have a really heavy coat that is too big now because I have lost enough weight where it fits like a snuggie (like seen on tv) but now I am thinking of having it altered so I can wear it!!!!
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well how strange I should read this today as withing half an hour of sweating my butt off at the gym I was so cold I had to put extra layers on and turn the heating up. Obviously not just you!!
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it has more to do with your body temp..... I'm always hot, I don't wear a coat outside when everyone else is bundled up because I feel warm. But if someone touches my arm I feel cold to them, although I don't feel cold. When its hot out I'm dying from the heat when others feel comfortable.

I explain it to people like this. My body temp is lower so I feel the air temp differently, its like when you go from a hot tub to a pool. If you just went to the pool without the hot tub you wouldn't feel as cold as when you start out warming up in the hot tub. Get hot in the hot tub then jump into the colder pool you feel cold.

So when you've been working out you've raised your body temp so you feel the air temp as colder than when you haven't worked out and you start feeling cold because the air is colder than you are.

Does that make any sense?
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

From this article

http://seek4fitness.net/Articles/View/FAQ-about-exercise-and-health.html

Wow! Thanks for the info good to know!!

BUMP!
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Me I am always toasty warm. It's very nice in the winters but at summers I sweat and I live in a cold country.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Any chance you're near TOM? I don't know if this is very common but one of my PMS symptoms is wacky body temperature (kind of like you hear with menopausal women). I either get really hot or really cold. Hubby makes fun of me too because I'll be all bundled up on the couch with a blanket in the middle of summer. Crazy hormones!
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    Any chance you're near TOM? I don't know if this is very common but one of my PMS symptoms is wacky body temperature (kind of like you hear with menopausal women). I either get really hot or really cold. Hubby makes fun of me too because I'll be all bundled up on the couch with a blanket in the middle of summer. Crazy hormones!

Not sure. My hormones are not of the norm... I have PCOS and so they are all whacked out but I have never been cold like this. Usually I am hot!!!!!! like sweating hot but I think it has to do with how much weight I have lost. I think I am adjusting plus i only drink water and it has to be ice cold so I am sure that brought down my internal temp too.