Chantix

Options
I just wanted to update everybody on my experience with Chantix (for those who are considering taking it). I'm on week 3 and have not smoked! I would recommend this drug to everybody who wishes to quit smoking. I, personally, have had no negative side effects besides a bit of naseua. On Saturday, I was too busy to take the morning pill (because you really should eat with them to calm your tummy) and I simply didn't take the night dose. Haven't taken any since then. I feel about the same. Cravings definitely do not go away --- it takes willpower. But I will say that having tried quitting cold turkey, Chantix makes it much easier. So anyone who smokes please consider taking Chantix!!

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    For me, the side effects were just too brutal (nausea and horrible, horrible dreams among others). Cold turkey proved the best option for me.

Glad it's worked for you!
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    I'm glad you had a good experience; and you are not smoking anymore. It isnt for everyone. I work in the transporation industry; we do not allow our truck drivers to take this medication and drive a truck. One of my drivers took it and had to go to the emergency room, for severe depression and anxiety, and of course our safety department wouldnt let him take and drive. Everyone will react differently. I've heard of others having good results as well.
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    I heard the nightmares are unbearable for a lot of people. My bfs coworker started taking it and immediately became paranoid, too.

I rather like smoking, besides.

Glad its working for you, tho! After all the horror stories Ive heard this is nice to see
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've heard mixed reviews on this... glad it worked for you!!
  • stephiejones
    Options
    Im scared to take it, i have heard nothing but bad things from this drug...glad it has worked for you keep up the good work!:smile:
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I also used it (nearly four years ago now) and found the side effects to be pretty managable.

I had crazy vivid dreams, but nothing terribly scary. The plots were pretty weird though. And the nausea was dealt with if you can find the perfect way (for you) to take the meds. I found the perfect number of calories it took to keep it down within the first week and had no more issues from it then.

I liked that it took care of some of the physical cravings while you started coping with the (harder) mental portion of quitting. It was a huge help for me.