CROSSFIT

Options
My town now offers Crossfit workouts and they will allow to come one free session so you can see what its all about before committing to a membership. Has anyone ever taken Crossfit and can tell me what exactly it is???

Replies

• Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    its an expensive cult lol
  • hollyyoung71
    hollyyoung71 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Its basically like Iron Man weight lifting. VERY VERY INTENSE. My friends daughter does it and she is built like a brick S*&^ House. Also, very competitive.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It's the most fun I have ever had working out. I have also stuck with it longer than any other fitness program for that same reason. It's a mix of strength training, cadiovascular training, and flexibility training. It's very scalable to any fitness level.

I lost an initial 20 lbs over the past year doing it with a crappy diet. I plateau'd which led me here to help me fix my eating habits.

If you have any specific questions about it let me know, and I will try to answer them

-Dan
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

this. haha.

It's honestly a lot of fun. I went to a free workout last weekend.
    Had a great time, pushed myself really hard. Loved it.
    But membership ranges from 85 to 180 a month.
    I can't afford something like that.
    Working on a home gym to do some crossfit style workouts though. I loved the intensity. But I have my issues with crossfit as well.
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    crossfit = awesome, watcht he Crossfit Games on ESPN2 i'd love to get into good enough shape to compete like that would be IT!
  • jorville
    Options
    I love CrossFit! Every workout is different and always challenging. Yes, a bit spendy, but I I think it's worth it because it's a priority to me.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    There's a number of threads on here for it. It can be pricey but does provide a workout like you'll not get with any trainer. It's in small groups usually and it very high intense for maximum burn.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

But on the bright side, you also get SLAP tears and Rhabdo! YAAAYYY!!!
  • jocraw66
    Options
    If you have a good affiliate it is so worth every penney. I could never go back to a regular gym after doing crossfit. I've been crossfiitting since 2008 and I love it.

Often times I hear women talk about being afraid to give it a try but crossfit is wonderful in that all of the WOD's can be scaled for ability and it is also a wonderful way to really gauge your progress. It is awesome to know that one month you had to do step ups but then the next month you have the confidence and ability to do an actual box jump or to be able to deadlift more than your body weight.

Crossfit has helped me to lose 126 pounds but the confidence it has given me has enabled me to run marathons, and be a more rounded person.

The following is on a sign at my box. I thought I'd share.

Top Ten Reasons Women Should Crossfit

10. Because weak and feminine are NOT the same.
    9. Because you fear no challenge.
    8. Because you should train like an athlete, not like a hamster.
    7. Because you refuse to be a damsel in distress.
    6. Because you don't need machines... You are the machine.
    5. Because you have yet to realize your full physical potential.
    4. Because aerobics is SO 1980's.
    3. Because that which does not kill you will only make you stronger.
    2. Because you are willing to sweat, not just glisten.
    1. Because there is nothing cooler or sexier than a strong woman!
  • gkirkl
    gkirkl Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been doing crossfit at an affiliate for 5 months. Results so far? Lost 45 lbs, 6 inches off my waist, stronger than since my late 20's (now 47), a bunch of new friends. Is it a cult? That's a little strong, however those that are in to it are IN TO IT, and I am one of those. Can you get Rhabdo and Strap injuries? Yes, but NOT if you exercise a little common sense. As Jocraw says, it will definitely put confidence into your life in areas other than fitness. Pass the kool-aid!
  • barbyxmas
    Options
    Go to the free workout session and see if you like it. Every exercise can be adapted to your ability.

I started to Crossfit after I walked past this minimalist gym (no machines at all) and stopped to ask what Crossfit was. It was the best stop I could have made. Three months later I am stronger, faster, thinner, and happier.

Check it out and see if it is for you.
  • snkeller24
    Options

Top Ten Reasons Women Should Crossfit

10. Because weak and feminine are NOT the same.
    9. Because you fear no challenge.
    8. Because you should train like an athlete, not like a hamster.
    7. Because you refuse to be a damsel in distress.
    6. Because you don't need machines... You are the machine.
    5. Because you have yet to realize your full physical potential.
    4. Because aerobics is SO 1980's.
    3. Because that which does not kill you will only make you stronger.
    2. Because you are willing to sweat, not just glisten.
    1. Because there is nothing cooler or sexier than a strong woman!

I agree with those who support CrossFit - cult or not it gives you that edge to push yourself one step farther. You challenge yourself, you set small goals in the workout and work until you finish it. It's about honesty and hard work. Yes I still belong to a "chain gym" but I rarely get the same intensity ... It's helped me in almost every aspect of my life and I was "pretty fit" to begin with; however I struggled with stuff at CrossFit until I practiced and worked hard.
  • JAlexander150
    Options
    hello everyone,

i'm new to the site (and love it so far) and looking to connect with fellow crossfit-ers. i've been doing crossfit for awhile now and LOVE IT. how does everyone log it in their exercise log?

please feel free to add me :)
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually just add most crossfit workouts under cardiovascular -> calisthetics -> vigorous effort, unless its a pure strength day then I just add it as weightlighting. I don't use this site to track workouts, only as a rough estimate of calories burned.

Hope that helps.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It has it's problems, but it's better than a lot of other stuff.
  • JAlexander150
    Options
    it does help, thank you!
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm joing in january... Cult or not lol