Winter water intake?

Options
2stepz
2stepz Posts: 814 Member
Spring, Summer, and Fall I have NO Problem getting enough fluids in... when I can get outside and work up a sweat, I feel like I need the water to keep me cool.

However, I live in the Ozarks, and have not acclimated back to the fact that we HAVE winter here. (Previously lived in southern Nevada desert.) I have problems drinking enough water AND staying warm.

Anyone else have this problem? Do you have suggestions? I've tried hot tea, but I don't drink ENOUGH of it to keep everything progressing. I eat more soup, but the sodium kills me, which means I need even MORE water. ugggh.

THIS is why the holidays are so tough on me... not because of the family dinners, it's because of the winter chill!

Replies

• QueenJill
    Options
    I live in Canada, so cold is my life and cold water chills that bod like nothing else. I drink warm water and often will have hot water with lemon or herbal tea if I'm brewing. Generally, less heat means less water requirement, but you still need a good amount of water to thrive.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Cold water burns more cals, you'll burn an extra 100-200 cals a day drinking cold water - google it. If you get cold then after downing a bottle have some green tea to help your metabolism and add another cup of water to your count.

Ps: Super hot here in Toronto today - no coat required. Don't know what part of Canada you are from but the south of us in NY get the *kitten* end of the stick with the lake effect, its fabulous here!

EDIT: Ohhh Alberta, yea you'll be cold ;)
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I use herbal teas so I don't go overboard of coffees just for warmth in winter, otherwise my water is generally around room temperature so I'm not drinking something cold.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    In chillier weather, about half my water intake is in the form of herb teas ( camomile and peppermint, usually) with no caffeine. But then, I like my tea "straight" with no lemon or sugar.
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Seconded on the herbal teas. They're not even caffeinated (if you're trying to avoid caffeine for some reason - it gives me headaches) and they are all delicious and fragrant.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of water then a cup of hot green tea. It keeps me warmer than just the water. I get so cold easily too so I feel your pain. Try alternating to see if that helps!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I drink warm water if I'm cold... yup, like tea without the tea bag. Our water cooler has a hot spout so I just use about 75% hot and top it off with cold water and drink it that way. Otherwise I'm freezing!
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Taking in cold foods and drinks actually should help you to feel warmer because of the temperature differential your body feels between internal and external temp (like putting your hand in cold water, then into warm water--the warm feels HOT because your skin is so used to the cold).

But if you really want something warm, I always go to tea. DavidsTea (a Canadian company, though they do ship south of the border) has a PLETHORA of delicious teas flavoured pretty much any way you could possibly want. If you're not a fan of herbal/fruity teas they have a wonderful selection of spicy teas (Chocolate Chili Chai is back in season, and it is pretty much the most delicious tea EVER), savoury teas, teas that taste like buttered rum...I mean... :D

I love tea. XD