Is walking 'real' exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• estepteau
    Options
    Absolutely!!! and an great exercise when done over 30mins :)
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It is DEFINITLY exercise. I've lost most of my weight solely by walking and watching what I eat. Only after I lost 50 pounds did I start doing anything else.

The added weight of your bookbag is another bonus!
  • saraann752003
    Options
    Totally not a silly question... here's what I've been told... by my doctor (real doctor of medicine)

I walk construction sites for a living and inspect them... constant walking at a slow pace sometimes and not always challanging. Over time a body will become used to that amount of activity, so although you are moving and being active, it does not actually count as excercise.

This is where the balance between what you need to eat to maintain your weight and what you should eat to loose weight comes in.

A few more details might contribute to the answer as well; you said 45 min each way, but how far is it?; does your backpack weigh the same every day or are some days is it harder to carry?

Time and money are always a factor when you are going to school, there is a lot to juggle (hence the dreaded freshman 15 that is often gained).

Do you count it? YES but watch your settings on mfp to make sure that you aren't counting it twice... I think everyone should do a little research and find out what they burn on a bare minimum day ie. sleeping, sitting, showering, dressing, walking to school, sitting, reading etc etc etc. This gives one a good baseline to know what they should be doing. If you include the walk back and forth to school, you may find that you are burning x amount of calories but consuming more and then hindering your weight loss goals.

Try changing up your walk sometimes, maybe on a day where you don't have to carry books (or figure out a way to get your books to school with out you) try jogging it, or at least change your pace a few times during the trips? Hope this helps!
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Definitely like above poster said, especially when done over 30 minutes. And with your books, even better! I do it on days I've just straightened my hair and don't want to get too sweaty!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    well, you say you do this every day, so you should really count this as part of your regular life style. it is something you get used to.

as far as whether or not it's exercise... well, thats up to you. personally, i usually don't count it as exercise for myself. exercise for me is is running, biking, swimming. i did one time spend about 4 hours of walking "hiking" and traveled about 12 miles. so unless i'm hiking, i don't count it.

however this is different for people with injuries, extreme weight problems, or are elderly. walking is an excellent form of exercise, and a great way to start getting fitter.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Don't forget it's good for osteoporosis also as weight bearing - you wouldn't get that doing lengths of an olympic pool so it's got additional benefits to some of the high impact stuff :-)
  • taniam16
    taniam16 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you want to maximize the workout then weigh how much you're carrying each day and add a tiny bit more each week. Set a milestone for Monday to get to uni in x amount of minutes and try to better that by Friday. The next week add some weight and do it again. If you're carrying weight then you're definitely exercising!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Yes! However, as you shrink (and this is true with every exercise) you will expend fewer alories doing the same thing. So a strategy I used was: after about 6 months of walking my dogs every day, I decided that it was a part of my lifestyle now and increased my activity level to light. Then I didn't log the walks anymore.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's definitely exercise. Just be careful logging it - ie if you've already accounted for these walks in your activity settings (active v. sedentary), then logging the walks might be double dipping.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    like everyone else has said, OF COURSE!!! I personally find it the best kind of exercise, you just can't be in a negative mood when you've had a nice long walk :)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I managed to lose 35lb doing only walking. I've since kicked things up a bit and lost 3 more pounds. So...yeah, it works.
  • joliejolie123456
    Options
    I'm just wondering... if you can get used to walking, can you also get used to swimming or running or any other kind of sport? I guess that the important thing is to mix up your exercise regime all the time or it stops being effective?

I've changed my settings to sedentry from lightly active to be on the safe side but being as i'm maintaining do you think i should stop logging my walks all together and just keep my setting as lightly active? Thanks to everyone for the advice.
  • billythewiz
    billythewiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's definitely exercise and a fantastic one for weight loss.

The "problem" with high intensity exercise (running, spinning, zumba, whatever) is that it can often leave you feeling very hungry. That's great if you can suffer that hunger but most people can't. So it's great for fitness but not as great as the calorie expenditure might make you think.

Walking gives your body time to metabolise fat and so when you finish you don't feel "starving" and so it's much easier to stick it out to the next meal.

The "problem" with walking is that it takes a long time to do a lot of it. If you've got the time then great.

Most people will lose weight if they were doing 450 minutes of walking a week !
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering... if you can get used to walking, can you also get used to swimming or running or any other kind of sport? I guess that the important thing is to mix up your exercise regime all the time or it stops being effective? Thanks to everyone for the advice.

yes, yes you can, however it doesn't stop being effective.

personally, i continuously push myself in my work outs. i alternate runs either in distance or speed, and when i do swim work outs i have different routines that i draw from. strength training always changes. either i do more weight or different exercises.

if you did 50 push ups this week, you should be looking to do 55 push ups next week.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Here you go:

Link is at the bottom if you want to read more.

Walking: Trim your waistline, improve your health
    Walking is a low-impact exercise with numerous health benefits. Here's how to get started.
    By Mayo Clinic staff

Walking is a gentle, low-impact exercise that can ease you into a higher level of fitness and health. Walking is a form of exercise accessible to just about everybody. It's safe, simple and doesn't require practice. And the health benefits are many. Here's more about why walking is good for you, and how to get started with a walking program.

Benefits of walking
    Walking, like other exercise, can help you achieve a number of important health benefits. Walking can help you:

Lower low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol)
    Raise high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the "good" cholesterol)
    Lower your blood pressure
    Reduce your risk of or manage type 2 diabetes
    Manage your weight
    Improve your mood
    Stay strong and fit
    All it takes to reap these benefits is a routine of brisk walking. It doesn't get much simpler than that. And you can forget the "no pain, no gain" talk. Research shows that regular, brisk walking can reduce the risk of heart attack by the same amount as more vigorous exercise, such as jogging.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/HQ01612
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    First of all, we have to define our terms.

Assuming that "exercise" is an activity performed in such a way as to increase muscular strength or aerobic functional capacity. By that definition, HOW a movement is performed is more important than WHAT movement is performed when determining whether or not it is "exercise".

Walking can be considered "exercise" if it is done at the appropriate intensity, frequency and duration to achieve a training effect in a given individual.

If walking is done below that threshold, then it would be more accurate to refer to it as "activity". Activity has it's own benefits, not only for overall health, but also in expending calories and losing/controlling weight.

I am amusing myself with excess pedantry, but it might make a difference for some people.

In short, walking may or may not be "real execise" -- it depends on the type of walking and the fitness level of the individual. If you go from running 3 miles a day to walking, you will not maintain your fitness level--even if you walk for an hour or two at a time.

However, if you are trying to maintain an energy balance, then lots of casual activity (walking) can be helpful.

Enjoy it.
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If you want to kick it up, throw in a few sprints along the way. Free gym exercise! ;)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I would consider using it in addition to an exercise routine, and not as your ONLY form of exercise. It's not really going to improve your fitness level much.

But, if all your looking for is some extra calories to be burnt, it's sure better than sitting around.

To answer your question, OP, I think if you're already eating for "Lightly Active" then you should NOT log your walks. It would be like counting them twice, and eating more than you need to.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    It is definitely considered exercise. I walked everywhere when I was pregnant, I walked and practiced yoga after pregnancy (lost the 20lbs I gained in 2 months), I still walk everywhere, I try not to drive too much. Walking burns calories and is known to reduce stress.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    it had better be-- it's the only kind of exercise I can do! :P