Should i be concerned???

Options
I recently decided to research all the medications i am on. I am Taking both Wellbutrin and Cymbalta(both for depression) i have been on both of them for 6 years and i'v noticed changes. My heart rate is constantly over 100 and that is a side effect of the Wellbutrin AND Cymbalta.

Also i realized that i am losing WAY more hair than i should i can be taking a shower, run my hand through my hand and have almost a handful of hair.

I am not sure if i should be concerned or not..what are your opinions??

I have been doing GREAT mood wise and have been wondering if it might be a good idea to see how i do without them. I asked my doctor a couple years ago and she said no...idk now though

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I would go back to your doctor and mention the hair loss.. it might be related or it might not. If she doesn't take you seriously, get a second opinion.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'd make an appointment with your doctor and go over the issues you're having. I'm glad to hear the meds are working well for your depression, though. Unfortunately, some meds come with side effects. As a person who suffers from anxiety and takes meds, I think the side effects are worth it, but that's just me. Good luck to you.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Doctor all the way
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would be concerned to say the least. I've refused to take any anti-depressant. They have horrid side effects and any drug that takes your heart rate that high is putting you at risk. There are safe, effective, natural ways to handle depression. Of course, you should consult your doctor about this. But, you might want to see another doctor. That's far too high for your heart rate.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Doctor. I've been up and down this road (not with me) so much over the past 2 years. Get ADHD tested btw. Seriously. If it's ADHD related they could give you different meds on low dosage and it could save you SO much pain. I am genuinely not speaking out of my rear, I've seen this firsthand.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    The fact you are on 2 anti depressions is always a concern. While I am not one for the "medicating" of depression, I would revisityour doctor and if need be, see another.
  • fluter4gsus
    fluter4gsus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do make sure you're under the supervision of a doctor. Withdrawal syptoms of anti-depressants are scary. I hope everything goes well.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Please call your doctor...I think you should be concerned.
  • savanahspring
    Options
    I would definitely be concerned of a heart rate that is constantly over 100 bpm. If you came to my pharmacy I would refer you to a doctor.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I am on wellbutrin and celexa for my depression and no side effects like that. My hair was thinning but that was due to my thyroid, and now its growing back.

how long have you been taking these meds. I really am thinking this is definitely something to bring up to your doctor, or perhaps get a second opinion on.

Ronney
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    Ask that they check your thyroid levels as well. When I was hyper thyroid I lost a lot of hair and had a high resting heart-rate. A lot of people think you have to be losing weight to be hyper thyroid but that's not true. So when you see your doctor, keep your thyroid in mind.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Most meds that raise up your heart rate that much should have regulated or gotten better after the first few days. Definitely doctor.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Exercise and diet can play such a huge part in relieving the symptoms of depression, that if you are committed to MPF and lifestyle changes, you might find the transition off meds a lot easier.

That said. Doctor all the way.

When it comes to depression meds there is like a 70% chance that is a placebo effect rather than actually NEEDING the medication to balance out chemical differences in ur brain/body
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    A lot of anti-depressants cause hair loss even though they're not listed as side effects. Often it's from a loss of selenium which is important in the formation of keratin which makes up the hair. Go see your doctor, he/she might put you on a lower dose or recommend a multivitamin. Men's multivitamins have more selenium than women's.

It could also be the stress of the situation and fluctuating hormones. Do you have irregular periods? A hormonal balance can be the cause (too much testosterone).

Until then, hang onto the hairs you can. Brush your hair with a wide toothed comb only when it's damp (not wet and no hairbrushes). Add flaxseed and primrose oil to your diet and rub primrose oil into the scalp. It should help condition the hairs you have and hopefully hang on to them until everything is stabilized.