Any slow loser success stories?

Options
124»

Replies

• Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my story! Took me quite a while, but I kept trudging along :) 2009-2011 (yes two years) I lost 36lbs. I have no idea why it took so long, I did things right, I had a 9 month plateau, the important thing is that no matter how hard or how long it takes, you keep going. This is about changing your life and not going back! Good luck!

PS, even during my plateau, I was losing inches. So keep track of measurements, they may show what the scale does not!

Glad there is someone just like me out there!!!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and probably the slowest loser out there! For years this has completely de-railed me because it is very disheartening, discouraging, and demotivating! However, since committing 110% in September, it is slowly coming off. In all of October, I did not lose a single pound until the very last day of the month, then I lost 4. I think it is more important to just stay focused and really watch what is going in vs. what you are burning and adjust, adjust, adjust! I eat a lot of cheese and I KNOW cheese is holding me up but I just love it and don't want to give it up, so I'm now having to cut here and there and not have it several times a day, or even once a day. The more I mix it up, experiment, and adjust the easier it seems to get.

So hang in there, don't be discouraged by the slow loss. Stay focused and true to your goal and if it takes us slower losers a bit longer, that is OK!
  • SheriKatieLynn
    SheriKatieLynn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this question! I started with MFP on February 5 this year and have lost 27 lbs. I lost 4 lbs in Feb. and 7 lbs the next two months. In May I decided to really start eating healthier and lost 4 and in June I increased my cardio and lost 1 lb and have only lost one lb a month since. I have increased my calories, and changed workouts, and I kinda tend to zig zag on calories a bit anyway, but seem stuck at 1 a month! So glad I am not gaining though! I am only 9 lbs away from a normal BMI - (YEAH) and I really hope it doesn't take 9 months, but hope it is true what so many have already said, if it is slow to come off it will stay off for good this time!

Also, I agree with everyone about measurements, it can take the sting away from the scales not moving! And another fun thing, being a little on the cash poor side, I have not bought much new yet and when a girlfriend asked what size I wore I said I have no idea - well went shopping and I could wear an 8 in two different pants - I was wearing a 14 uncomfortably before! I never thought I would see single digit clothes again!

Best wishes to all of you - I am determined slow and steady will win this race! :)
  • rutkowsm
    rutkowsm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks to everyone for their replies. It's so good to know that there are other people out there who have had the same issues and still resolved to continue to eat healthy. I know that every ounce of fat lost is a little victory, but when the scale doesn't move and you feel like you're doing everything right, it's hard not to get discouraged at least once in a while.

Apparently for me the cure for my stalled weight loss was posting this topic, because I weighed myself the next morning and found that the scale had finally moved. I still have a ways to go, but I'll definitely start looking for NSVs to encourage me when I'm feeling like I'm not making progress.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs over a year. I took the most laid back approach to weight loss possible and made changes very gradual. Now I am in the best shape of my life and it just keeps getting better. This was the perfect way for me because now it is routine and I have easily maintained it for four years now.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Lost 35ish lbs and went from a size 12-14 to a 4 in about 2 years. Because of how long it took, I'm confident that it will stay off.
  • fitmom2000
    fitmom2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You lost 10 or 20 pounds quickly, but did you gain it back? I think any of us who have had lifetime struggles have had quick losses and then gains. I have lost 50 pounds in just over a year. I average just under a pound a week, but for the first time in my life I feel really in control. This is my new lifestyle. I don't count calories and I don't track workouts but I know what goes in my body. I make good choices not because I need to stay on plan but because that's just who I am now. I can say with 100% certainty that I will lose the rest of the weight I still carry, but it will take another year. And I'm OK with that.

If it's just a plateu, make sure you aren't eating a lot of sodium, that you're getting plenty of fiber and lean protein and that you're eating REAL FOOD --- not the processed stuff, not the chemically stuff, but the stuff nature gave us. Try and change up your workout to keep your body from getting comfortable, and really push yourself out of your comfort zone for 10 minutes a day.

But don't feel like you need to lose 2 or 3 pounds a week, or even 1 pound a week, to be succesful. I truly believe that the losing the right way, no matter how long it takes, it's much better than quick losses. And remember that the scale only tells part of the story--- there have been months where I lost almost no pounds but lost an entire pant size. The workouts were changing my body,
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    "I just keep telling myself that I didn't get fat overnight and I'm not going to get skinny overnight.
    Permanent change takes time, hard work, and dedication."

truer words were never spoken with that said...never forget how far you have come & anything worth fighting for will never come easy.

keep at it guy and you all will succeed.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    i've only lost 6 whole pounds since march! i've kept them off but i dont have much to lose, maybe 5-7 lbs. i know the less you have to lose, the harder it is. I'm still working out regularly and eat healthy maybe 70% of time. The times i dont eat healthy, i use portion control. The slower the weight comes off, the better it will be to maintain. Hang in there!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!