so so gross

Options

Replies

• CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    We eat SO many pieces of things and even particles of things that we don't want to know about on a daily basis. Our immune system that time and evolution has gifted us fights all of this off to the point where we'll never notice. That's why I never care about food touched by a friend, etc etc..
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    We eat SO many pieces of things and even particles of things that we don't want to know about on a daily basis. Our immune system that time and evolution has gifted us fights all of this off to the point where we'll never notice. That's why I never care about food touched by a friend, etc etc..
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    The easiest way around this issue is very simple: If you're going to inadvertently eat bugs, you should at least dip the item in chocolate.

Problem solved.

Oh wait, wasn't there mention of bugs in chocolate...? It's a vicious circle...Gooshie, get me out of here!
  • shamrock75
    shamrock75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wish there was a "like" button on here sometimes!!!!!

The easiest way around this issue is very simple: If you're going to inadvertently eat bugs, you should at least dip the item in chocolate.

Problem solved.

Oh wait, wasn't there mention of bugs in chocolate...? It's a vicious circle...Gooshie, get me out of here!
    Just log it as protein ;)
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i read somewhere (or heard it, or maybe it was an urban legend) that a human ingests on average 8 bugs a year while sleeping.

maybe it's not true, but ick!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have no idea if this is common knowledge, but it certainly wasn't to me!

On tonight's episode of Bones, they were testing some chocolate & lab tech said there was nothing unusual in the chocolate, just the "usual" like spider parts. :noway: Omg, so I almost threw up. This led me to the FDA website, where I learned there are bug parts, mammal excrements, & other nauseating things in most foods. The FDA allows a certain amount.

This makes me not want to eat any food!

Who cares you've been eating it for years.. Open the yapper and keep on tossing it in. If it hasn't hurt you yet I wouldn't worry about it. Even organic foods have it. Just keep on having your body digest it with acid and the like and don't think about it.

It's probably honestly not even the grossest thing most people have put in their mouths if they think about it.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Ewww it's like the early 1900s in this thread. Reminds me of Upton Sinclair's 'The Jungle'. Gotta love some severed body parts in your meat! WHO'S HUNGRY??!

The company I buy my makeup from refuses to offer red eyeshadow because they don't want to use crushed beetles. I've watched lots of documentaries on the food industry and can't believe I've never realized that wonderful little factoid about ketchup! Yikes!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for reminding me about this. meaning i read this before and it's still gross lol
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    you know you swallow like 1 and half spiders in your sleep a year? lol
    Just sayin.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Mmmm bugs. Eat or be eaten! :wink:
    :laugh: :smokin:
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    As they say, God made dirt, so a little don't hurt!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Even organic foods have it.
    Organic foods are probably "worse" for stray bugs because they don't use chemical pesticides.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Meh... IMO, the only difference between a crab and a spider is size and butter.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options

^^^
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I always wonder what I might have eaten over the years from fast food places. I am sure at some point someone has probably done something gross to my food, even if it was dropping it on the floor and serving it anyway. This is why I can't really eat fast food anymore. But I still go to restaurants *sigh*
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Ok - yuck - but I'm already over it and actually it's making me want to go dip into the office Halloween candy....

There are nasty things about food... and most food even... but you can't starve so if it tastes good...

My husband went to a pig farm once... he said it was a horrific experience to watch the poor pigs squealing before getting killed.
    They are very intelligent too. Well he swore off pork... but now he's back at it. This too shall pass.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Yummy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsHVda5tcGKlHlCYhuDzMWbHdYI5ro3qJtlhboMsWUaGLEqkKJ
  • nothingisred
    Options

:laugh:

I've heard about insect parts in foods before, and about swallowing bugs whilst you sleep. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I've been eating this stuff for years why should it bother me now? As long as I can't see it, I don't mind.

Besides, in places like Latin America and Southeast Asia people eat insects all the time. It hasn't done them any harm, so I think we'll survive some microscopic parts in our food. I'm pretty sure all the chemcials and additives in our foods are a lot more disgusting and damaging to us than insect parts anyway!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you really knew what was in your food, you'd never eat anything.

If it doesn't kill you, you know it's safe :laugh:

Sue :smile: x
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    isnt red food coloring made of crushed bugs?

Only Red #4 *not* Red #40.