Low Carbs + High Protein = Worth It?

2»

Replies

• drusso1491
    drusso1491 Posts: 11 Member
    i didn't read all the responses so sorry if this is repeating what other people said but low carb/high protein diets can actually be pretty dangerous and counter productive... the body's preferred energy source is carbs, and not only does it fuel physical activities the brain/CNS uses it for functions as well.... carbs actually efficiently burn and use fat and protein and they are protein sparing ( your body wont go to protein to convert to energy - which results in ketosis.. ketones are acidic to the body and if youve ever been in ketosis before you WILL know it ( extremely moody, cranky , tired etc.)
    - in a nutshell eat carbs...theyre WAY too important to our body to restrict them to a great amount... its actually recommended that the bulk of calories come from carbs (anywhere from %50-%70) what matters most is if your calories in < calories out youll loose weight
  • i didn't read all the responses so sorry if this is repeating what other people said but low carb/high protein diets can actually be pretty dangerous and counter productive... the body's preferred energy source is carbs, and not only does it fuel physical activities the brain/CNS uses it for functions as well.... carbs actually efficiently burn and use fat and protein and they are protein sparing ( your body wont go to protein to convert to energy - which results in ketosis.. ketones are acidic to the body and if youve ever been in ketosis before you WILL know it ( extremely moody, cranky , tired etc.)
    - in a nutshell eat carbs...theyre WAY too important to our body to restrict them to a great amount... its actually recommended that the bulk of calories come from carbs (anywhere from %50-%70) what matters most is if your calories in < calories out youll loose weight

Except that obesity rates in the US didn't start rising until health officials introduced carbs as good and fat as bad. Heart disease rates sky rocketed at that point as well.

The moodiness is from induction - the short span of time where your body is readjusting to using ketones as fuel rather than carbs. It's normal, and it passes quickly - usually within a week for most, 3 weeks in extreme cases. The only side effect I have now from being in constant ketosis is dry mouth, which just encourages me to drink more, so it's more of a positive to me. Keto occurs when you eat fewer than 20-30g carbs/day, though some people can go as high as 50 if they only get cabs from veggies and have been established in keto for a while. Ketones are only dangerous in diabetics, who can lapse into ketoacidosis, which is something otherwise healthy people don't have to worry about. A low carb diet can also help restore insulin sensitivity and prevent diabetes if you were heading that way from over-consumption of carbs, as well as improve cholesterol.

I've heard conflicting information as to the brain's use of ketones. I know that the brain can, at the very least, meet 70% of it's energy requirements via ketones. The mitochondria can convert it to ATP, and it actually burns cleaner than carbs. As for the other 30%, I'm not sure. Your body either can use ketones or it can strip proteins and convert it into carbs. Carbs are not at all necessary if you balance your other macros accordingly. Plenty of cultures in the world, past and present, have lived without carbs.

Obviously it's not for everyone, standard one size does not fit all warning that every diet should include. It does also boil down to calories in calories out for weight loss, but I think the other health benefits are worth giving up bread and grains (which I find ridiculously boring now anyway compared to a steak slathered in garlic butter and a huge caesar salad - mixed greens, not romaine thx. But that's me.)
  • i didn't read all the responses so sorry if this is repeating what other people said but low carb/high protein diets can actually be pretty dangerous and counter productive... the body's preferred energy source is carbs, and not only does it fuel physical activities the brain/CNS uses it for functions as well.... carbs actually efficiently burn and use fat and protein and they are protein sparing ( your body wont go to protein to convert to energy - which results in ketosis.. ketones are acidic to the body and if youve ever been in ketosis before you WILL know it ( extremely moody, cranky , tired etc.)
    What he said. In my experience low carb diets work well for people who have a large amount of weight to lose. If you don't have a large amount of weight to drop they can be counter productive.

With many sources of carbs it isn't so much the carbs that are the issue but everything else in the item. Breads and pasta can have tons of filler and other junk in them. Try it, if it works for you, great, if not, change something until you find a balance that does work for you.
    Except that obesity rates in the US didn't start rising until health officials introduced carbs as good and fat as bad. Heart disease rates sky rocketed at that point as well.

The moodiness is from induction - the short span of time where your body is readjusting to using ketones as fuel rather than carbs. It's normal, and it passes quickly - usually within a week for most, 3 weeks in extreme cases. The only side effect I have now from being in constant ketosis is dry mouth, which just encourages me to drink more, so it's more of a positive to me. Keto occurs when you eat fewer than 20-30g carbs/day, though some people can go as high as 50 if they only get cabs from veggies and have been established in keto for a while. Ketones are only dangerous in diabetics, who can lapse into ketoacidosis, which is something otherwise healthy people don't have to worry about. A low carb diet can also help restore insulin sensitivity and prevent diabetes if you were heading that way from over-consumption of carbs, as well as improve cholesterol.

I've heard conflicting information as to the brain's use of ketones. I know that the brain can, at the very least, meet 70% of it's energy requirements via ketones. The mitochondria can convert it to ATP, and it actually burns cleaner than carbs. As for the other 30%, I'm not sure. Your body either can use ketones or it can strip proteins and convert it into carbs. Carbs are not at all necessary if you balance your other macros accordingly. Plenty of cultures in the world, past and present, have lived without carbs.

Obviously it's not for everyone, standard one size does not fit all warning that every diet should include. It does also boil down to calories in calories out for weight loss, but I think the other health benefits are worth giving up bread and grains (which I find ridiculously boring now anyway compared to a steak slathered in garlic butter and a huge caesar salad - mixed greens, not romaine thx. But that's me.)
  • I'm also on a vlc high fat/moderate protein diet. I aim to consume 60-70% of my daily allotment as fat, 25-30% protein, and under 20g carbs/day. Some of my fat comes in the form of coconut oil (which I'm lax about logging lol), olive oil, and animal fats in the form of heavy whipping cream (lowest in carbs), butter, cheese, bacon grease, and cheap, fatty cuts of meat.

I feel a lot better than I did before, for sure, and the weight keeps coming off. I'm not losing at some of the crazy speeds I've seen other people at, but a steady clip of 1.5-2lbs/week, which is good enough for me. It's still a caloric deficit thing, of course, but the high fat/moderate protein curbs hunger really well, so rather than being ravenous before mealtimes, I eat maybe twice a day and am usually sated for quite a long time.

I don't like the idea of high protein diets because they still tend to limit fats, and the body needs fat for energy if it doesn't have carbs.

I could have written this entire thing myself, so I am not even going to answer the question because my response would be the same - LOL! I have never engaged in a low cal vs. low carb debate on these forums however, and I don't intend to start now :) My belief is that you do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Healthy carb and protein works for me. :drinker:
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    low carb works great for some , not so much for others, give it a try see how you like it, see how it works for you.

and no it is not pointless to those that respond to it

I agree. Low carb works very well for some and not for others. For me personally (and my entire family), low carb works best. However, rather than stay away from all carbs, I'm having great success now staying away from starchy carbs/ones from processed or junk foods and sticking to natural carbs. So whereas I used to not eat fruit because it has carbs, I now am eating fruit and not finding it hindering my weight loss at all. I actually try to do 1 day with a little bit higher carb (between 80-100) and then the next day I try to limit carbs more severely to about 1/2 that amount.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    It's fine if you prefer to eat that way, it's not magic.

That said, I think MFP encourages low protein.