WHY AM I NOT LOSING??? :(

Options
12346»

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Agreed. With reference to the Biggest Loser, Jillian Michaels is my God. She's the one who I quoted "Calories in, Calories out. Weight loss is simple math. Losing weight is simple, it is not easy." I just listened to her podcast in which she said it again. So it didn't come from me. Anyone wanna call Jillian and tell her she's wrong? Anyone wanna call her and tell her how mathematicians don't have to take biology courses because it isn't simple math? Lame

Also, I've only been on these message boards for a few days, and I can tell you honestly I absolutely HATE the bashing that goes around. Are you people here to help & motivate others or are you simply here to boast your egos around and bash others?

It's SICKENING. Educating others is not about tearing them down in the process. Learn how to get your points across without insulting someone.

To address bashing first. I will admit that my initial posts probably came off a bit rude, and that the subsequent discussion was heated. However, I was careful not to resort to name calling (I'll admit I was a bit sarcastic, but that's just how I talk) and tried to keep the debate at least somewhat civil. If I offended you in any way I apologize.

If I wanted to boost my ego, I wouldn't be on a weight loss forum. I do honestly want to help others with the same struggle I'm going through. I believe that some of the advice posted is a disservice to them, and can lead to failure with their diets/fitness routines or worse, health complications. That's why I reacted the way I did.

To your first point, I am biased against Jillian Micheals. However I do know that she has a variety of products out that have actually helped people, so I'll keep my thoughts to myself. I'm not lame for thinking that a mathematician shouldn't automatically be the supreme authority in nutrition. I believe your body needs a certain amount of nutrition to survive optimally. Determining those requirements and how to reach them in your own personal life is where the bio aspect comes into play.

Finally, to address the Biggest Loser. Those folks started out tremendously overweight. Their goal while they were on the show was exclusively focused on weight loss, no job, no family, no other obligations. They also had a slew of doctors, trainers, and nutritionists tracking them to make sure they were ok. To think that a person without nearly the amount of weight to lose that they had could mimic a routine like theirs in his/her normal daily life is, in my opinion, dangerous.
  • ange0628
    ange0628 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    OK, LOTS of good info here! It sounds like most of you think I need to intake more calories since 1200 isn't very much....right? I think I'm going to change my goal to 1 lb a week and try that rather then 2 since I haven't hardly lost anything in the 5 weeks I've been logging my food intake and watching my calories. I know toning and losing inches is a HUGE bonus and really is my goal. I just thought I'd lose weight during the process and it really hasn't happened yet. I think I'll finish the shred (I'll probably do it another 2-3 weeks at least) and see where I'm at then. I want to do something else after to change it up a bit....maybe 6 week 6 pack or TurboFire...?
    I REALLY appreciate all your responses!! I LOVE the support on here! Thanks to all of you! You help keep me going! :)

Have you tried running? for me I also did 30 DS and it builds muscle, why not try to change it up a bit, running does marvelous things to the body, maybe try the c25k program "couch to 5k" but really dont worry about the scale, inches is more important and you are noticing a difference, so thats what matters :) good luck!!!
  • ange0628
    ange0628 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Agreed. With reference to the Biggest Loser, Jillian Michaels is my God. She's the one who I quoted "Calories in, Calories out. Weight loss is simple math. Losing weight is simple, it is not easy." I just listened to her podcast in which she said it again. So it didn't come from me. Anyone wanna call Jillian and tell her she's wrong? Anyone wanna call her and tell her how mathematicians don't have to take biology courses because it isn't simple math? Lame

Also, I've only been on these message boards for a few days, and I can tell you honestly I absolutely HATE the bashing that goes around. Are you people here to help & motivate others or are you simply here to boast your egos around and bash others?

It's SICKENING. Educating others is not about tearing them down in the process. Learn how to get your points across without insulting someone.

To address bashing first. I will admit that my initial posts probably came off a bit rude, and that the subsequent discussion was heated. However, I was careful not to resort to name calling (I'll admit I was a bit sarcastic, but that's just how I talk) and tried to keep the debate at least somewhat civil. If I offended you in any way I apologize.

If I wanted to boost my ego, I wouldn't be on a weight loss forum. I do honestly want to help others with the same struggle I'm going through. I believe that some of the advice posted is a disservice to them, and can lead to failure with their diets/fitness routines or worse, health complications. That's why I reacted the way I did.

To your first point, I am biased against Jillian Micheals. However I do know that she has a variety of products out that have actually helped people, so I'll keep my thoughts to myself. I'm not lame for thinking that a mathematician shouldn't automatically be the supreme authority in nutrition. I believe your body needs a certain amount of nutrition to survive optimally. Determining those requirements and how to reach them in your own personal life is where the bio aspect comes into play.

Finally, to address the Biggest Loser. Those folks started out tremendously overweight. Their goal while they were on the show was exclusively focused on weight loss, no job, no family, no other obligations. They also had a slew of doctors, trainers, and nutritionists tracking them to make sure they were ok. To think that a person without nearly the amount of weight to lose that they had could mimic a routine like theirs in his/her normal daily life is, in my opinion, dangerous.

sometimes the truth hurts...
    an opinion is an opinion and it counts, you have very valid points, its just sometimes people dont want to hear it everyone on this site has had success through some form of eating/exercises and are all seeing results differently so there isnt one way or the other, its what is working for you XO
  • judyw51
    Options
    with the shred you are losing inches, plus you are toning and developing muscle. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat :) Keep at it and don't give up; the pounds will eventually come off as well! Good job so far!

Yes losing inches and toning is more important then what the scale reads. Muscles does NOT weigh more than fat it just takes up less room. Example if you have a pound of unpopped popcorn and a lb of popped popcorn which weighs more? Neither they both weigh the same.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • oaken
    oaken Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would, but I got lost in the hypocrisy of your post. Perhaps it`s the fact that my points are so 'lame'.But regardless of how lame my points are i do feel the need to clarify: there are biological conditions which inhibit weight loss. You might want to look some of them up, because in that case calories in vs calories out only plays a very small portion of any weight loss/gain. Perhaps what I should have better worded was: why do you think someone with a major in math wont be working as a nutritionist. I shouldnt even have to say it, it should be completely obvious. And I can see that you have lost 7 lbs( congrats, its a wonderful feeling!!) but unfortunately very few people 'plateau' this early in the game (im assuming youve started recently based on your minimal weight loss and lack of time spent in the forums, so correct me if im wrong). Weight loss doesnt have to be COMPLICATED that doesnt mean its SIMPLE math.

I wasn't referring to you when I said that statement was lame, so I'm not sure why you responded to that. If I offended you, or if you took it personally, I'm sorry.

As for my weight loss. I am a success story that has failed. I lost 60 pounds got down to my goal weight and kept it off for a year, which yes, felt incredible. But I gained it all back :( And the reason why is because I continued to eat whatever I wanted and stopped exercising. So I'm pretty sure I have experience in how to lose weight but I certainly need help in maintaining. I'm back on the train again. You are correct however, about my lack of time in the forums. Which doesn't make me a noob in this game. It only makes me new to you.

Originally in one of my first posts, I told the OP to see an Endocrinologist due to these other biological factors. Most of the time with most people, the problem is calories in, calories out. And I'm sorry, but you're not going to convince me otherwise. The massive amounts of weight loss that Jillian and Bob have SHREDDED off of these massively obese people wasn't because they ate back their exercise calories. They don't lose 10 pounds every week by eating back their exercise calories. They keep it off by maintaining with the education they learned at the Ranch. The point here is a deficit and you're not going to tap into your body's resources by giving it back the fuel you just burned. I agree that there are other reasons people do not lose weight, such as thyroid issues or high estrogen levels. We cannot diagnose that for the OP as we are not doctors. All we can do is keep her motivated to continue the diet & exercise routine. However, that doesn't help if she's eating back her exercise calories. I'm sorry, but no one is going to convince me.
    Agreed, but I don't think anyone ever mentioned that Biggest Loser was the end all, tell all way to lose weight. It would be really nice if we all could put down everything else on our plates and just focus on weight loss, but that's not the real world. That's still not saying it can't be done. You have to make time for yourself everyday. That's a requirement.

I also was not referring to you when I was referencing the bashing. Your sarcasm did not come across to me. I thought you had some very valid points.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    The massive amounts of weight loss that Jillian and Bob have SHREDDED off of these massively obese people wasn't because they ate back their exercise calories. They don't lose 10 pounds every week by eating back their exercise calories. They keep it off by maintaining with the education they learned at the Ranch.

I recently attended a talk given by the cute little blonde gal from the Seattle area who was on The Biggest Loser and married another The Biggest Loser contestant. Can't remember their names, sorry. Both of them have gained back quite a bit of the weight they lost on TBL and stated that the regime from TBL was unsustainable due to it not being real world and both are working on getting off the weight they've gained in a slower, healthier manner. I don't watch the show and certainly have no idea if most contestants have kept off the weight or not but I thought I'd throw this out there, for what it's worth.

The obesity level of TBL contestants makes a 10#/week weight loss less bad for them but, for the long haul, losing weight that quickly means that you're losing too much of your lean muscles mass. There is a lot of evidence out there that fast loss usually means regaining the weight, while slow loss means you're more likely to keep it off. I'd rather keep it off then get into a yo-yo dieting situation. YMMV.
  • oaken
    oaken Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I recently attended a talk given by the cute little blonde gal from the Seattle area who was on The Biggest Loser and married another The Biggest Loser contestant. Can't remember their names, sorry. Both of them have gained back quite a bit of the weight they lost on TBL and stated that the regime from TBL was unsustainable due to it not being real world and both are working on getting off the weight they've gained in a slower, healthier manner. I don't watch the show and certainly have no idea if most contestants have kept off the weight or not but I thought I'd throw this out there, for what it's worth.

The obesity level of TBL contestants makes a 10#/week weight loss less bad for them but, for the long haul, losing weight that quickly means that you're losing too much of your lean muscles mass. There is a lot of evidence out there that fast loss usually means regaining the weight, while slow loss means you're more likely to keep it off. I'd rather keep it off then get into a yo-yo dieting situation. YMMV.

Oh I totally agree with this!

I think you're referring to Ashley & Koli. I've been watching Biggest Loser since Season 1. In what I have seen, and this of course is just my opinion. But for those that are severely and morbidly overweight (over 500 lbs or over 400 lbs) they don't seem to have the best results. Ashley is on my Facebook so I've gotten the chance to see her almost everyday (on the internet) after the show ended. I noticed early on she did not continue to lose weight as ideally as others on BL. Does this have something to do with how massive her starting weight was? Maybe... but I'm not a doctor, I cannot say. This is just what I've noticed. Shay is another really good example of this. She still does not look as thin as the other graduates of the show. She started at over 500lbs.

But I totally agree. The weight loss is too fast on that show and most of it is for ratings. Sabotaging? Maybe. However, MOST contestants have kept it off because of what they have learned while on the Ranch. A good example of a contestant that gained it all back was Eric. But he also went to the wind with his maintenance and stopped exercising and dieting. The best shows are the "Where are they now?" shows that show the contestants that gained back and the ones that maintain a healthy weight. I only know of a few people who have gained all their weight back. Still not saying it's healthy, not at all. But I think what they learn at the Ranch is what keeps them maintaining.

The saddest part is that the contestants literally starve themselves when they go home before the Finale. This we all know is wrong. Some of them do it to win the big prize and admit it is the worst weeks of their lives.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    As for my weight loss. I am a success story that has failed. I lost 60 pounds got down to my goal weight and kept it off for a year, which yes, felt incredible. But I gained it all back :( And the reason why is because I continued to eat whatever I wanted and stopped exercising. So I'm pretty sure I have experience in how to lose weight but I certainly need help in maintaining. I'm back on the train again. You are correct however, about my lack of time in the forums. Which doesn't make me a noob in this game. It only makes me new to you.

Regardless of this debate, I'm sorry that you faltered with the weight loss. A very similar thing happened to me 2 years ago where I lost about 75 pounds and gained back 90. I'm trying to do things more moderately this time around in the hopes that the weight will stay off this time. Good luck in your efforts!
    They don't lose 10 pounds every week by eating back their exercise calories. They keep it off by maintaining with the education they learned at the Ranch. The point here is a deficit and you're not going to tap into your body's resources by giving it back the fuel you just burned. I agree that there are other reasons people do not lose weight, such as thyroid issues or high estrogen levels. We cannot diagnose that for the OP as we are not doctors. All we can do is keep her motivated to continue the diet & exercise routine. However, that doesn't help if she's eating back her exercise calories. I'm sorry, but no one is going to convince me.
    I do agree with you in general. If you're eating at maintenance or at a surplus, and you exercise to burn calories, and then you eat back the calories that you burned, you won't see results. If you already have a deficit built in, however, and then you exercise to burn calories, that deficit widens. Too large of a deficit is, in my opinion, hazardous to your health. Even if you eat at a deficit, burn a small number of calories, and don't eat it back, that's probably fine. The issue is when that happens to the extreme, when you eat very little and burn a lot, when you don't get enough energy to fuel your body's basic functions. That's my point. I also believe that doing things in moderation (ie smaller deficits over longer time as opposed to larger deficits over shorter time) make those changes more likely to stick, but that's a very fuzzy stance and the question becomes 'how much of a deficit then'? This is why I stuck to the purposely vague term 'extreme deficits'.

They do it in Biggest Loser because they're tremendously overweight and can afford deficits that large, and because they are under constant supervision for safety. When they leave, they go to more moderate habits that are much more safe when not under the strict supervision of experts. THAT was my point. Too large of a deficit can be unhealthy and/or dangerous. Nothing more. I think we are, in theory, in agreement here. I make such a big deal of it because of my past history with dieting. I had unnaturally high deficits and although I lost a lot of weight eventually burned out and gained it all back. I'm lucky nothing more serious than that happened.

Again, I agree with you in general, I just feel it's important to preface that agreement with my own opinion (as I admitted before, this is do to my own past experiences). Got luck with your second go at weight loss.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

^You said it much more eloquently than I could have.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough! You need to be eating the extra workout calories. Your metabolism is trying to jump start but it won't be able to if you don't eat enough. Excercise speeds the metabolism up if you don't feed it it will slow down and in some cases stop all together no matter how heatlthy or how less of calories you eat. Case in point there was a 800 pound women on tv only consuming 400 calories a day and she was not losing weight bc her metabolism was dead. Eat the calories and see if that helps.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Interesting, Oaken. I'm surprised that more of TBL contestants don't gain more back.

Just to add to this discussion, our local YMCA did their own version of The Biggest Loser for several years. I am currently in a little local weight loss support group with two gals who each won their stints in this program. Both have gained back all their weight. Actually, I think both gained back to a higher weight than they were when they started TBL. They have talked about things they did to win their stints that are very unhealthy. Super starvation levels of calories, exercising with those rubberized sweatsuits one to sweat out excess water before weigh-ins, etc. Bad stuff because the focus was more on weight loss than gaining health and fitness. I'm sure their metabolisms were trashed and the long-term deprivation just set them up to gorge afterwards.

One of them is now also here at MFP and is focusing on slower, healthier weight loss. She has done very well and is utilizing exercise, healthier foods, and eating back some of her exercise calories. I think she has lost about 40# over the last 4-5 months. Can't remember how long she's been at it as she started before our little support group formed. She does realize that her weight loss will eventually slow down but, at this time, she' is still averaging a higher weight loss because she is still in the very obese range. She is reading up on how to adjust for lesser weekly weight loss as she gets closer to goal so she doesn't harm her metabolism again. And this time around, she is doing it without feeling deprived as she is using calorie cycling (a/k/a zig-zagging) to have planned splurges once as week or so that keep her within her net calorie goal for the week. She is a great example of someone to emulate and I really appreciate her example.

The other seems to be still looking for quick weight loss and has actually gained since we started our support group. She seems to be a perfect example of what not to do. Binge then starve cycles. Exercise like heck and then not exercise at all. Unsustainable choices.

I've been learning from both of them. What to do and what not to do.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    What a great post!! Pretty inspiring! :)
    (I wrote this to somebody earlier) "Losing weight is a goal that can be frustrating and confusing. "You're gonna be exercising the next 20 years anyway!" That's what I tell myself when the scale doesn't move. Its not about JUST weight loss. Don't give yourself 6 months to reach your goal and then give up if you don't reach it. Try to look at it like, "No matter what, no matter how long this takes, or how confusing and frustrating.....I WILL do this!"

Also, don't believe all those magazines at the supermarket telling you to have your dream body in 12 weeks. That's a bunch of BS. Those fitness models didn't take 12 weeks to look like that, they practice exercising as a way of life. ADOPT THAT WAY OF LIFE FOR YOURSELF. Commit to exercising for 1 year, slowly at first. I spent my first 3 months walking mostly, then stepped it up to jogging/walking for about a month, then I joined a gym and got into a program, then I started getting lazy and I quit going to the gym, then things got really bad and I only exercised maybe 4 times a month for about 2 or 3 months, Now Im back to exercising 5 or 6 times a week. My current gripe is that I'm not losing any weight. But its because I don't ever log in my food. I need to change that. I'm learning that its something that MUST be done. LEARN how to do this through trial and error. Hopefully I come back to this thread next year as a super hot and buff, cut and ripped piece of man-meat for you. :)

But I wont reach that goal if I give up because I fail along the way. Never give up on this!"
  • TinaMLT
    Options
    The most annoying thing about using exercise to encourage weight loss is the muscle gain:frown: . Please don't get me wrong, because, YOU WANT MUSCLE. Muscle burns calories even when you are sleeping! Its only drawback is that muscle is approximately 6 times more dense the fat. So if you took an inch of muscle and an inch of fat, the muscle would weigh 6 times more!!! The scale can't differentiate between fat loss and muscle gain so it just gives you a number.

When doing an exercise regime that will increase your lean muscle mass (shred can do that), you can expect to gain some muscle and thus gain some weight. But try the tape measure and see what has happened. Those inches will speak much louder than the scale. When trying a shred measure your hips, thighs, arms and waist just before you start. Then measure them once every week during. The inches will tell you what a fantastic job you are doing. Keep in mind that you are now permenantly changing your body's caloric needs. The muscle needs extra calories simply to live so long term this will help your weight loss.

Weight loss does not equal fitness:flowerforyou: . Exercise will improve your fitness and your quality of life. You can walk longer, climb more, have more energy to chase after your kids. You will be able to keep active long into your golden years when you exercise regularly, so try not to thing of exercise solely as a means to lose weight. Think about all the other benefits you can get.:wink:

Last thought: There are three basic body types: ectomorph (skinny, with slight bones), endomorph (round with a layer of fat) and mesomorph (muscular and athletic looking). This is a genetic trait that cannot be changed. Each has their weight challenges, each has their strengths. To be one or another does not mean you cannot or should not maintain an ideal weight. However it does speak to how your body will respond to extra calories and exercise.

I am a mesomorph. I gain muscle very easily, even using the lightest of weights (and I am a female). Unfortunately, if my caloric intake is too high I do gain fat almost as easily. When doing any training method keep in mind what it is aiming at achieving then looking at your body type. If the exercise is designed to burn fat the ectomorph will get skinner but not add muscle, the mesomorph may gain weight but will loose inches and the endomorph will lose both inches and weight but less than the ectomorph. You will need to adjust your expectations of the exercise program depending on your body type and the aspect of training the program uses.

:bigsmile: Don't be hard on yourself. You are doing the right thing for yourself by getting strong and fit. The weight will take care of itself so long as you keep to the plan.
  • shoppersdream60
    Options
    Hi! DON'T GIVE UP!!! You can do this!! Have you tried HIGH protein, with only 25 carbs per day? When you drastically reduce the carbs for a 2 week period you WILL see results. Then slowly go to 50 carbs over the holidays and not more than 100 carbs a day thereafter. Sugar & flour has to be cut out completely and diet drinks that have aspartame must go! They increase your appetite and cause belly fat. But if you have to have diet sodas try to get your taste buds to enjoy the coke with splenda. If you want more info I would be glad to give you the fat burning menu I've had to cause weight loss. it isn't easy. Keep telling yourself "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS!" Hope this helps!