Another 'please look at my diary'

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
Can people look at my diary and give me suggestions please?

Two things first :)

1. I am using Jenny Craig and their food until I hit 90kg. That's not going to change. It's worked so far and keeps me on track. I start doing two full days after I lose another 5kg
2. As of five minutes I ago I updated my goals, before I was doing 1600 cals, it's now been adjusted to 1400 calories. So it looks like I'm over for the past week, I was under on my own goals.

Thank you!

Replies

• NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Add a sodium column to your diary and see if you are getting too much. If so, up the water. Good luck to you!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Looks quite good to me! I'm not sure what type of bread is listed in your diary, but what really helped me out is changing out all of my bread to Multi-Grain Whole Wheat bread. It's not as soft as white bread but it's exponentially better for you.

Keep up the hard work, don't do what I did!
  • Lozze
    Options
    Oh God sodium is high. I'm drinking 8 glasses of water each day (2.4L) How much more should I drink?
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    Add a sodium column to your diary and see if you are getting too much. If so, up the water. Good luck to you!

True, I missed this. Sodium is really important as it promotes triglyceride (fat) retention. Be weary of things like table salt, etc. The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend about 2,300mg of sodium per day... I would work hard to aim for 1,500. That's what I did, and I would only really get upset with myself if I went over 1,900mg of sodium.
  • SISDONNAK
    SISDONNAK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Calories do not include 'sodium'. I find that I retain a lot these days. Low fat products contain high sugar contents so you really want to stay away from a lot of packaged foods and eat pure food that you prepare. You are on the RIGHT TRACK!
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    Oh God sodium is high. I'm drinking 8 glasses of water each day (2.4L) How much more should I drink?
    The more sodium you take in, the more water you should drink to offset it. I haven't looked at your sodium intake, but I'll take a look in a second.

I just remember that when I would go over 1500mg's of sodium, I would try and drink 1 cup for every 100mg I went over. That could be overkill but I really hated sodium.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    That Chili killed you. Look out for any food that has sodium doubling the calories. Look at the menu's at McDonald's or other fastfood chains. You'll see how horrible those foods are and why you feel the urge to drink so much (of whatever) when eating their food. Because there is so much sodium you feel parched. Hopefully I've been able to give you insight on sodium (I worry about that more than I do my caloric intake).
  • Lozze
    Options
    Yeah the JC Chilli Con Carne is high. I do think that all the JC dinners are high. I'll have to aim for 12 cups of water.

I'll be cutting down my tuna packs as their sodium is high! Only one a day :(

I'm getting conflicting stuff on the web on sodium. It's saying 2500 for anyone under 51. It's only lower if you're older than 51, black (from Mayo clinic) have high blood pressure, diabetes and so on.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You're doing a fantastic job with 19 kgs already down. What has changed to make you want to change what you're doing? Has your weight loss stalled? Are you readjusting your calories to account for your new weight?

That being said, have you considered changing your daily percentages on your macros? More healthy fats and specifically more protein may help you. It depends on you though, if what you're doing now is working and you're still healthy you may not want to change too much.

Regardless, increasing water isn't a bad thing =)

Good luck!
  • Lozze
    Options
    You're doing a fantastic job with 19 kgs already down. What has changed to make you want to change what you're doing? Has your weight loss stalled? Are you readjusting your calories to account for your new weight?

I'm doing the typical 'I want to lose weight faster' thing. It's starting to slow down and I want to keep it at 1kg a week at least for the rest of the year. Yes I know that I'm still losing and getting healthy but I really want to be out of double digits.
  • Lozze
    Options

I'm doing the typical 'I want to lose weight faster' thing. It's starting to slow down and I want to keep it at 1kg a week at least for the rest of the year. Yes I know that I'm still losing and getting healthy but I really want to be out of double digits.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Ok, that's fair. Talk to a doctor and/or nutritionist if you can, but consider eating a higher percentage of protein and fat.

Can you do more exercise than you are already?

Don't forget to take a multivitamin.

Wanting to lose more is fine, but be careful that you don't push yourself too hard. I did, and lost a whole mess of weight in 3 months...and then gained it all back and then some 2 months later. I'm on a much more moderate path now, and while it's slower, I'm more confident it will stay off for good.
  • CommandaPanda
    Options
    Yeah the JC Chilli Con Carne is high. I do think that all the JC dinners are high. I'll have to aim for 12 cups of water.

I'll be cutting down my tuna packs as their sodium is high! Only one a day :(

I'm getting conflicting stuff on the web on sodium. It's saying 2500 for anyone under 51. It's only lower if you're older than 51, black (from Mayo clinic) have high blood pressure, diabetes and so on.
    The recommendation is that you consume no more than 2400mg. So 2500 should really be the max. Americans overkill it with condiments and other additives to food.

Your body only requires 500mg of sodium to function under normal circumstances. That's why I aimed for 1500, I figured the median would give desirable/healthy results as well as account for any extra sodium I might need to take in from strenuous activities.

A decent article to read if you have the time on sodium by the Canadian Broadcasting Company News Network:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/07/23/f-salt-reducing-health-risks.html
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    On the topic of sodium intake, here's what I found on a Canadian government website :

"The Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommends the following “adequate intakes,” or AIs, per day:

1,000 milligrams (mg) for children aged 1 to 3
    1,200 mg for children aged 4 to 8
    1,500 mg for people aged 9 to 50
    1,300 mg for adults aged 51 to 70
    1,200 mg for seniors over 70 years of age.

The IOM has also established a “tolerable upper intake level,” or UL (see Definitions and Limitations), which ranges from 1,500 mg to 2,200 mg of sodium per day for children and adolescents aged 1 to 13, up to 2,300 mg per day for people aged 14 or older. Consumption exceeding these limits increases the risks of adverse health effects, especially those linked to hypertension."

So yeah, it looks like the 2500 mg per day that MFP allows me is 1000 more than I need!

(Source : http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/2006004/article/sodium/4148995-eng.htm)