Walking the best exercise?

Options
Some people have told me that just walking an hour a day alone can help you lose weight and inches. Agree or disagree?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    "Best" exercise depends on your qualifications. But walking an hour a day is an easy way to burn calories for sure. I lost 40lbs over about 6 months, my only exercise was walking 30 minutes a day.
  • cmoutarimoussa
    cmoutarimoussa Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to get calories burned! I too lost 40lbs walking an hour 3 days a week!!! I know my badge says 22lbs lost...thats just since i joined MFP...i have lost 40lbs throughout my entire weight loss journey.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets you up moving around burns calories. So yes, walking for an hour will help you lose weight. Best exercise? That's up for debate I'm sure.
  • Suzymo3
    Suzymo3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have lost most of my weight with walking as my primary exercise but, I try to do at least 1 to 1 1/2 hours of walking per day.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Walking is awesome, very good for you, low impact and suitable for almost everybody who can, well, walk.
  • Pancake86
    Options
    I lost 3 stone from power walking, and ive kept it off and the only exercise i do is walking. Walking an hour or 2 hours a day your def lose weight. Also you need to be eating healthy to.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Some people have told me that just walking an hour a day alone can help you lose weight and inches. Agree or disagree?
    Sure, walking an hour would burn somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-400 calories. It's practically free and can be done anywhere, anytime. It's low impact and doesn't require any special skill. As long as you're eating at the calorie target that MFP gives you for your weight loss goal, walking would be a great addition.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't know why anyone would disagree with that statement ...

As for whether it's "best," that's very subjective,
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It is an exercise and will burn calories but it isn't the best
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise and almost anyone can do it. The word "best" should be attached to the exercise you like the most & will do consistently. I walked an hour this morning. I don't think I wasted my time. :flowerforyou:
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey, walking was just about all I could manage, and it helped me to drop to a weight level where I could manage more & different exercises. As such, I can't praise it enough!
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    Walking is good, but walking up stairs really does it for me.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I live in a city, so even on my laziest days I still spend at least 45 minutes a day walking to and from places. I've never lost weight from it, but I think it's a good supplement to more strenuous exercise.

If you have a smartphone there's a great app called RunKeeper, which uses GPS to track your mileage and calories burned (you can set it for walking, biking, running, or other activities). It even takes elevation into account. I had the app running while I was wandering around town one Saturday, and it calculated that I burned nearly 700 calories!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It is an exercise and will burn calories but it isn't the best

Perhaps it's not best FOR YOU.

That's why it's subjective.
  • kmaclpn
    kmaclpn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a GREAT exercise on its own.. i wish I could do it more often I live in the deep country and im petrified to go walking I fear something is going to jump out and eat me hahahaha i know im taking it far but it actually worries me
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I walk a half mile from the train to my building in the morning and back a half mile at the end of the day. I feel it gives me a little energy to start my day too.
  • quizzyrascal
    quizzyrascal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to be a runner and got injured, when I joined MFP I started walking but felt I was not going to see much difference and that it was too soft an option. I have been really proven wrong. I lost weight and inches. It has made the biggest and most suprising difference to my waist and abs. The only down side is how much time you have to put aside for your daily exercise.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The thing that's the best exercise I can't post without violating the terms for this site...

...but walking is pretty good!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

Agree.

Is it good exercise that will burn calories and tone your butt, thighs, and legs? Yes.

Is it the "best" exercise? That depends on your criteria. But walking is cheap, doesn't require a gym membership or special clothing beyond good shoes; can be done anywhere (even up and down an indoor hallway if necessary); and most people already possess the skills to do it correctly without risking injury. That ranks it pretty high in my book
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I think walking is a GREAT exercise on its own.. i wish I could do it more often I live in the deep country and im petrified to go walking I fear something is going to jump out and eat me hahahaha i know im taking it far but it actually worries me

I grew up in a semi-rural area, and if you were out walking without a dog drivers would pull over and ask if you were ok!!