Pull Up Help

Options
I need help doing pull ups. I've never successfully been able to do 1. And dumb me signed up for a Warrior Dash and there's like 3 walls to hurdle over.

Anyone got any tips on how to get the pull up thing going and be successful?

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Can you do negatives?

What kind of equipment do you have access to?
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You can try doing them with one leg up on a stool or chair for assisted pull ups.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Best way to build strength for pull ups is to do negatives. Which is assisting yourself to the top, by using a chair or jumping and letting yourself down slowly.
  • now_picture_this
    now_picture_this Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To start off, you can put a chair right in front of you with one foot on it and slightly assist yourself up until you can manage on your own. Also, negatives as already mentioned. Start in the pulled up position and then slowly lower yourself down.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The way my Crossfit instructor got us doing them was with bands (like big resistance bands). You have to work up to it, though. It takes time and lots of practice!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You can do reverse or supine ring rows, Jumping pull up and try to hold yourself up at the top and slowly drop down (negatives), or as Kdiamond suggested get bands to practice.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
  • kellyss20
    kellyss20 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The way my Crossfit instructor got us doing them was with bands (like big resistance bands). You have to work up to it, though. It takes time and lots of practice!

I have always modified with a chair but have recently been thinking about trying the bands. Does anyone know if regular resistance bands will work or do the bands specifically designed for pull up assist work better?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Regular bands are fine. Just keep an eye on your form when you're doing them.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    The gym I've joined doesn't have pull up bar, we have an assisted pull up/dip machine.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    The gym I've joined doesn't have pull up bar, we have an assisted pull up/dip machine.

That's perfect. Find a weight you can do 6-8 reps on. Do 3 sets of as many as you can (and really push yourself). Try to do this 2-3 times a week, obviously leaving time in between for recovery. Any day you do all 3 sets over 6 reps, try to remove 5 pounds the following day.

Good luck!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Thanks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    FWIW, you don't need to be able to do a pullup to get over any of the obstacles in Warrior Dash. There's cleats for foot hold in the big wall you climb with a rope, and the smaller walls are only 4' high. The cargo net is as easy as climbing a ladder.
  • MobileRanger
    Options
    Like so many have said, take one leg and put it on a chair. Just use your leg just enough so you can get up and down. After a while you'll ditch the chair completely. I use to be in your same boat, not being about to do any, but now I can do them all day (with no chair), or at least until my arms give out.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Try doing body weight rows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7VR_tWOQEs)
    and/or assisted pull-ups w/ band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTxKZA1ST1M)