Migraines

Options
I went off the grid last night. In the middle of my last class of the night, A migraine settled in. I knew I couldn't make it through the rest of the class because it was already accompanied by nausea as well, and I wouldn't have been able to make it home the 30 minute drive otherwise.

Got home, immediatly took some excedrin migraine, soaked my head under water for about 30 minutes and went and lay in the dark. Finally when it started letting off a little I managed to fall asleep, but I was back up by 11 and RAVENOUS!!

I ate every bit of 1260 calories afterwards...And no I did NOT have that many calories left for the day!! This morning I feel like I've gone to a bar and got drunk and slept with a stranger, feeling very guilty over it.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I don't often have migraines, but after they finally pass I am usually hungry enough to eat just about anything in the house! Not that this is any excuse to do so, just wondering if this is normal for after the migraine passes.

Replies

• Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I'm usually not hungry at all through the migraine, but then once it's gone, I just want to eat. I actually add a note to my food log that I had a migraine, so I know why i was going out of control
  • MrsREFJR
    Options
    I have them often and yes, I want to eat everything in site too. I always want something sweet. A cookie, piece of cake,etc. I think it is becuase you feel so bad and then you feel better.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Migraines are caused by hunger and our bodies sugar level being off. So if the body is hungry and a migraine hits, then it is apt that you would eat a lot. With the pain, you don't notice that you are actually hungry, you are just centered on the pain. From the stuff I pulled up, migraines are linked to over eating. Don't worry. Just start over today.
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to get vicious ones. If you think how many calories are used by your body dealing with all the pain... you do use up calories.
    The body needs energy to keep going and needs more when there is something it is fighting off.
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Migraines are caused by hunger and our bodies sugar level being off. So if the body is hungry and a migraine hits, then it is apt that you would eat a lot. With the pain, you don't notice that you are actually hungry, you are just centered on the pain. From the stuff I pulled up, migraines are linked to over eating. Don't worry. Just start over today.

Yes ma'am, I'm already on it!! I was up till 4:45 this morning, but now I'm up and raring to go. Ate my cereal, now I'm ready for w2d1 of c25k. Wish me luck :)
  • dncngqnnyc
    dncngqnnyc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get migraines pretty often, and yes I do also get extremely hungry a few hours after it passes. I will grab a cup of coffee first so that my stomach feels something and it is not too many calories. After the coffee the food decision will come in ( the eat alot phase is gone by then!)
    Might I suggest that you always carry the medicine with you in case a migraine starts to show up. The faster that you get it in the beginning can usually prevent the full blow one. I have had them for 39 years. I too have to have my head under exteme hot water and massage the back of my neck at the same time. Most times I have to put a chair in the shower because I am too dizzy to stand.
    Good Luck with the headache and maybe put together a future plan of what you will eat when a headache comes and stick to the plan.
    Dont feel guilty and beat yourself up, you are doing great!! We all go off at times!

Robin
  • melanie_J
    Options
    I used to get vicious ones. If you think how many calories are used by your body dealing with all the pain... you do use up calories.
    The body needs energy to keep going and needs more when there is something it is fighting off.

This makes me feel a little better, I didn't think of that, but I guess it would be true, though I do doubt that I burned 1260 calories lol.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from migraines, but a friend dose. She has gotten them since we were in high school.
    Anyway, she has been taking magnesium for the last three or four monthes and hasn't had a single one. Here is the link, hope it can help someone else as much as it's helped her.

http://www.migravent.com/blog/migraine-treatments-2/why-magnesium-prevents-migraines/
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I am kinda the opposite, I have migraines all the time, just got over one that lasted two days....when I first feel one coming on, I want the eat, I guess I am thinking maybe the migraine is being caused by low blood sugar or something, and if I eat something, maybe it will help it to not get too strong....normally that never works though, and I am in horrid pain for at least two days...
    But after I am over one, like today, I just feel defeated and tired, and not hungry at all....
  • melanie_J
    Options
    I get migraines pretty often, and yes I do also get extremely hungry a few hours after it passes. I will grab a cup of coffee first so that my stomach feels something and it is not too many calories. After the coffee the food decision will come in ( the eat alot phase is gone by then!)
    Might I suggest that you always carry the medicine with you in case a migraine starts to show up. The faster that you get it in the beginning can usually prevent the full blow one. I have had them for 39 years. I too have to have my head under exteme hot water and massage the back of my neck at the same time. Most times I have to put a chair in the shower because I am too dizzy to stand.
    Good Luck with the headache and maybe put together a future plan of what you will eat when a headache comes and stick to the plan.
    Dont feel guilty and beat yourself up, you are doing great!! We all go off at times!

Robin

That's a great tip to start with coffee! We usually keep the excedrine in the car, because my husband has chronic migraines, many times a week. But he had brought it in for some reason and it never made it back out there. I don't even know when he brought them in, I rarely have them, but when they come, damn their a doozy. I was pushing through it as well as I could until the nausea started, because I needed that last hour of class, because our midterm is coming up. But when it set in I knew I was screwed! I'm going to go right now and put me a couple of doses in my backpack, so I can take it right away if it happens again.
  • mazp12
    mazp12 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have always suffered hormonal migraines so get them every month, I to suddenly have major cravings for sweet food and suddenly feel I could eat the whole weeks calories in one day ! I somehow manage by cutting my calorie intake right down just before my period so I can have my sweet stuff usually chocolate once the craving starts without doing to much harm to my intake and when migraine does start I am usually in bed for a whole day with only fluid intake of water so when i do feel better I eat like mad to compensate for a day without food !