Ravenclaw Common Room

Options
1646566676870»

Replies

• korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One of the few things my family does now to counter-act the need for junk food is to prepare zip-lock bags of vegetables and fruits so they're "ready to go" when we make lunches for the day. For instance, right now I have a bag of celery, bag of carrots, and bag of radishes already portioned out into servings. The bags have the brand name and the calories for that serving. It makes the morning routine so much easier to do and entering stuff into the diary easier as well.

I do have a question regarding radishes- it's been years since I've had them, and boy do they have a strong taste! Is there any preparation that makes them... less strong? I feel like I'm eating a raw onion.
  • melmarie4
    Options
    Hi everyone, just heard about the harry potter challenge in the forums and i love the idea! i was wondering if it is too late to join ravenclaw? i love all things harry potter and i think doing the challenges will be fun and will keep me motivated
    Hello and welcome melmarie4!! There is a link in my signature to the November challenge that outlines how this thread works. To join in the fun, I will need your current weigh in and goal weight for November. If you have any questions, ask away!!

Edit: Well.... the link used to be in my signature. Looks like MFP took it away :( I'll email it to you later tonight when I get home.

Ok thank you! my current weight is 129 and my goal weight by the end of november is 123. let me know if you need any more info from me
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    oops superlate night checkin!

I did REALLY good on food today!

3 owls for me!
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    One of the few things my family does now to counter-act the need for junk food is to prepare zip-lock bags of vegetables and fruits so they're "ready to go" when we make lunches for the day. For instance, right now I have a bag of celery, bag of carrots, and bag of radishes already portioned out into servings. The bags have the brand name and the calories for that serving. It makes the morning routine so much easier to do and entering stuff into the diary easier as well.

I do have a question regarding radishes- it's been years since I've had them, and boy do they have a strong taste! Is there any preparation that makes them... less strong? I feel like I'm eating a raw onion.

I really *love* the idea that you posted above about preparing zip-lock bags for the veggie snacks. I actually love veggies, but it seems like I avoid that option sometimes just because it isn't as easy to snack when you have to prepare it every time. I might just try that. As for radishes, I have no idea. I don't like 'em, so I don't eat them. :)

By the way, I hope you did well on your interview!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    good morning Ravenclaw. not sure if i did checkin yesterday or not. i have no idea how many OWLS i've earned this week. i need some Ravenclaw wisdom. i feel like i'm in a bad place eating and workout wise!! i just don't have the motivation i used to. i'm having some back problems and dr said to stay off my bike for several weeks, when i work out i'm not burning nearly the amount of calories i used to, my personal life is becoming very stressful, and i (naturally) find myself turning to food for comfort and stress relief. i tell myself to read my signature quote about choices and yet keep making the wrong one in regards to food!!!
    HELP!!!! i don't want to go back to how it was before mfp, i don't want to lose the ground i've gained these past 6 months, but i am so very stuck right now!!! i know what i SHOULD do but just can't seem to make myself do it. i need some motivation. :cry:
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Checking in to say UGH. I am so so so tired of overtime at work. It makes me exhausted and not want to work out, and yesterday I ate something I DEFINITELY shouldn't have. *coughfootlongchilicheeseconeycough*. I won't let that part happen again, but boy I am just feeling so BLAH with all of these hours :yawn: :frown: :sad:
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Umm . . . where the hell is my signature?

Today's Stats
    Food (no junk): +1
    Exercise (ab contractions): +1
    Spirit: +1
    House Points: 30

Weekly Stats:
    OWLS- 12 House Points- 240
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Just realized to top it all off....my Quidditch Captain badge is gone :sad:
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi Ravenclaws

Looks like MFP did away with all signatures, and we have to put our info on our main page. Badges do not work there. This is very dissapointing, I loved having badges and our signatures. It is a shame.

Sue, you may want to keep your links on your profile page. I used them all the time to double check challenges.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yep, there were apparently a lot of complaints about the huge, flashy attachments in some signatures, so MFP did away with them. :( I'm sad about it - I liked the badges and stuff. I'm working on some ideas but haven't had time to think about it much yet. There is a new Groups option that I think we should use but I need to read up on that. Anyway... so sad our badges are gone :cry:

@psb13 - I left thisreply on your status: Maybe its time to go on maintenance for a while. Or reassess your motivations. For me, I have to keep reminding myself of the health issues I was facing - I have to keep going or live the rest of my life on meds. Is this just weight loss for you or is it life-style change? I realized that I don't see myself at 70 years old working out for an hour every day. I will ride my bike, take a walk or go for a swim from time to time - but not every day because I "have" to burn some calories. Knowing that about myself helped me see that I had to make changes in my food choices that I will be comfortable with for the long run. Take a look at where you are and where you want to be - then fake 'til you make it. :) We're all here for you!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Sue, great to see you are on your single digit countdown.
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi Ravenclaws.

Today I'm at jury duty. I was looking forward to it because it means I don't have to go to work. ;)

On the topic of ruts (psb13), I think about it like this. I'm in a rut at work. I'm unhappy, things don't seem to be getting better, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life feeling like this. I've been in this rut for a long time, and it's quite stressful.

Things I did to alleviate the stress and remove the focus on work is to get hobbies. I am working towards 2 degrees right now, and the criminal justice one is so fascinating! But it wasn't enough.

So then I tried other ways to make me feel happy, like shopping with my mom, joining MFP, meeting all of you, joined another groups that loves the same tv shows that I do (whedonesque), and tried new things like zumba dancing. They all made me feel so much better about myself. They treat the symptoms, but not the problem. HOWEVER, if I hadn't tried all these other things, I wouldn't have had the confidence to actively start looking for another job.

I had an interview yesterday and I think it went quite well. The work stressor is still there, but I'm slowly chipping away at it.

I would suggest to you to back up, take your focus off of burning calories, and live a little. Go hang out with friends. See a movie or a concert you wouldn't normally do. Go shopping with your mom. Do something to make yourself feel good now and not worry about the weight. That will work itself out once you start to feel good again.

It's like watching a clock- the darn thing nearly starts going reverse to slow time when all you want is for it to speed up. Take your mind off of it, and eventually time flies by.

I hope this is helpful. Have a good one.
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the idea of giving yourself time to really think about what's wrong and what's causing you to feel this way. Sometimes job stress or something as simple as not getting enough sleep or stress at home can make things terribly difficult when you're trying to be disciplined in other ways. And honestly, it's meant to be a life-long process, so if you need to take some time to just maintain, maybe that's right for you. I would definitely encourage you to at least keep that process in place, though, and keep posting and staying active so that you don't allow yourself to slip back into what you know isn't good for you. It's easy to do, but if you're mentally still in the game, so to speak, you might find yourself wanting to start really pushing again and getting back into a place where you want to lose more weight and work on fitness again.

Whatever you do, I hope you do the right thing for you, and I hope you start to feel better. You've got tons of support and love here, so let us know when you need an extra hug and encouragement. I have plenty to spare. :)
  • nieme
    nieme Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It gets dark at 4:30, so that's my rut.

I've been good with the exercise owl and decent with the food one. :) Bad on the house points front though.
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Hi all! I just set up a Hogwarts Castle group where we will move all of the common rooms. I haven't started a new thread there for us yet, but will soon. Stay tuned!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am outside planting bulbs....catch you later

Pam
  • azsuzi
    Options
    OK Ravenclaw - we're moving into our new Common Room at Hogwarts Castle! To join the group, click on the Groups tab under community, search for Hogwarts and then click join group. There are topics within the group for each common room. See you there!