Will Yoga help me lose?

Options
I am trying to get this weight loss started again. I'd come off watching what I ate recently because of health issues.....it just seemed too much at the time. Even given that I haven't been tracking I have still hovered within 5 lbs or so (YESSSSSS!) . I know I need to workout but due to my disorder being an auto-immune muscle disorder, it is difficult to do everyday physical tasks on most days much less workout. I would LOVE to start back with my Insanity program but I'm concerned about being able to keep form and not injure myself. So my question is this......could I start a Yoga program and it be enough to help jump start this body?

Any advise would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Eating clean healthy nutritous food will help you loose. 80% is what you are putting iin your body.
  • himiller3
    Options
    I know I only speak for myself, and I may be biased (I'm a licensed yoga instructor)... But, yes. Yoga can help you lose weight. I lost ALOT just doing yoga and going for walks when I first started getting into fitness.
  • himiller3
    Options
    Eating clean healthy nutritous food will help you loose. 80% is what you are putting iin your body.

And that too!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Actually, it's a calorie deficit that helps you lose. 100% of it is the amount you put into your body.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Probably not as much as you like, Yoga does burn a few calories and is very good for your joints and muscles.

The best way to lose is 80% eating right, 20% exercise !
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I don't think yoga would help you to lose weight BUT I know for me, it REALLY helped with my flexibility which really helped my workouts and my mental state. For me, the yoga has helped me more mentally than just working out.

And I used to be one of those people that made fun of yoga too - thought it was goofy.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    OP is probably looking for a calorie value and how that would apply to her weight loss goals.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    It depends what type of yoga practice you do. Mainly it will tone and define. I do Vinyasa power yoga, and Bikram is great, too, those styles of yoga will burn more calories. I have definitely noticed great definition in my arms, legs and core, and it's great for a yoga bootie, too! :) Plus you will learn a greater acceptance and appreciation for your body through your practice.

Lucy :)
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate in the sense of insanity and yoga. I do insanity, as well as jog, and wanted something that would help me out with both of those so it was recommended from fellow fitness friends that I take up yoga. I signed up via living social (discount website) for yoga and pilates classes (5 for $25) just to try it out. I haven't went yet but I figure it will help limber me up and change things up. All of that being said, to lose weight you need more calories burned than consumed and yoga and pilates do not burn that much (compared to jogging/insanity) so it may jump start your motivation and "limberness" but might not jump start your weight loss.

SW 155.1
    GW and CW 112.0
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    My thought is this. Yoga makes me feel good (what little bit my fat broken body can do). I feel better I move more. I move more I burn calories. Yoga helps me lose weight. But then I feel the same way about meditation, good music and a great nights sleep. They all help.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know what I eat is important......working on that (which is why I'm back to tracking.....to bring it back into the forefront of my mind). I am beginning to think, though, that I may have either gastrointestinal issues or possible food allergies starting to rear their ugly heads. So that isn't helping much.

Right now, I'm just looking for something to help me get moving again. Walking tends to make me hurt (not in a good way either) and I had trouble holding a pasta pot as it was filling with water the other day. I GOTTA get MOVING again and start to get my strength back. Just exactly how is the question......
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I do hot power yoga 3x per week and burn about 550 cals. (conservative) during a 75 min class (I'm 5'8" - 145 lbs). It has definitely changed the composition of my body and I have lost weigh but I think it's an all around effort. What I love so much about yoga is that you MUST be present - you can't let your mind wander.

Most studios will offer a free class to new students.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Yoga does burn calories and it's listed here. about 200 calories per hour. So while it will help, it's not the most efficent use of time in that regard. But yoga has benefits beyond calorie burn. And if it's one of the only things you can do, then its better than nothing.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My experience is that yoga isn't so much of a fat burner as it is a lifestyle changer. I had to improve my diet, get more sleep and lose weight in order to improve my yoga practice. Basically, yoga helped me to get more in touch with my body at a deeper level than other forms of exercise.

I have my own structural problems and its has kept me strong without exacerbating old injuries/arthritis.
  • beautifulnovember
    Options
    My experience is that yoga isn't so much of a fat burner as it is a lifestyle changer. I had to improve my diet, get more sleep and lose weight in order to improve my yoga practice. Basically, yoga helped me to get more in touch with my body at a deeper level than other forms of exercise.

I feel the same. :)
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I think it really depends on the type of yoga you do and your instructor.

In my class we are flowing for a good 60 mins (75 class) and its like interval training. I also do restorative yoga (90mins) and that is not as fast paced and works more on stretching and flexability.

That's why if you haven't practiced in awhile or at all it's best to try alot of different classes and instructors.
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know what I eat is important......working on that (which is why I'm back to tracking.....to bring it back into the forefront of my mind). I am beginning to think, though, that I may have either gastrointestinal issues or possible food allergies starting to rear their ugly heads. So that isn't helping much.

Right now, I'm just looking for something to help me get moving again. Walking tends to make me hurt (not in a good way either) and I had trouble holding a pasta pot as it was filling with water the other day. I GOTTA get MOVING again and start to get my strength back. Just exactly how is the question......

Yoga can help with intestinal issues too, especially inversion poses. I lost weight mainly with weight-lifting, yoga, & pilates. If yoga will get you up and moving and motivated you might as well do it. It's good for your mind, body, & spirit :)