The moronic fitness "trainers" on Biggest Loser...

Options
Okay, I figured the topic line would bring a few of you in here...

I don't really think that they're morons. I know they're probably fitness experts in many regards, but I do not feel that they are obesity experts. Why do I say this? Did anyone notice that now that they are several weeks into this season that at least 1/2 of the contestants are wearing some kind of knee brace?

Please allow a layman to give them a clue: a 400lb man should not be RUNNING. Not now, not yet, not at all while at that weight. Not until he gets his weight down to a level that won't cause severe and PERMANENT joint damage. They are NOT doing a service to these people by doing joint damage to them with high-impact exercise at weights 2-4x that of normal.

Those of you here who are athletes of average weight, let me ask you this: If you had to carry a man/woman of your size ON YOUR BACK, would you then jump up and down on a platform, run a hard mile, scale up and down hills at fill tilt while holding yet more weights or objects? INSANITY.

Look, an average 150lb man exerts 450-600lbs on his feet during every step while running. A 400lb man exerts 1,200-1,600 on his foot with each step while running. That goes all the way up through the knees and hips.

I cannot believe that these people are paid to do this. They need obesity experts there, not 24hr fitness trainers, hired primarily for personality and good looks.

-Z

Replies

• JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Agreed. Simply walking at that rate would be a good way to start. I wonder what their heart rates are when they are running at 400 pounds.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    They have several doctors on site throughout. I'd have to say based on that that they are doing ok. If they were in danger of becoming seriously injured, I'm going to go ahead and guess that the doctors would have them pull out of the contest or lighten their workload.

In football we had 300 lb plus obese guys slamming into each other for sixteen weeks. While I agree that running is hard on your joints, especially if you are obese, it will not kill you nor is it guaranteed to severely injure you so long as you do not over exert and push into the realm of injury.

I was running at 272 lbs and my doctor said it was fine so long as I watched out for pain and injury and went at my own pace. I never suffered a single injury. Granted that's not 300 lbs plus but it's still very big.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Anna Kournikova is one of the "trainers". That should tell your everything.

I mean she wasn't even a real tennis player.
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    But the ratings are high because these people lose weight fast with their "celeb" trainers. Running burns calories way faster than walking, and so they run. It might not be right, but there are a lot of things not right about the show.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have never seen the show but I agree completely, my cardio consists of walking which is low impact but even that gave me a lot of knee pain when I was up at the 330 llb weight and even now at 238 llbs i get knee pain from some walking.

I am at the point where I want to start moving into jogging and running but I am holding back because of my weight still.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Very true!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Some very valid points though I suspect that the decades of being that heavy isn't particularly great on the joints either. Truthfully losing that much weight that fast isn't particularly "healthy" either though. Would be far less entertaining to watch people swim their way to weight loss though.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in this conversation. I have had the same thoughts, even though I seldom am able to watch the program.
    :wink: Personnally, if someone had tried to make me RUN at my highest weight I would have punched them out and then SAT on them!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've never watched the show, but when I see the previews that have very obese running, I just wince. Really, can they win enough money to have knee, hip, and/ or ankle replacement surgeries? Crazy I agree - but it looks good on TV and that's what really matters.
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love Biggest Loser, but you are so right! When I first started this, I was kicking myself because I couldn't even come close to doing their workouts at the weight I was at (or even now). I soon realized with even doing much lower impact workouts, I was still injuring myself... going to the doctor today with knee pain, to make sure I'm not causing permenant damage myself. Great post! Too many people are probably trying to keep up with Biggest Loser workouts and hurting themselves in the process!
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Okay, I figured the topic line would bring a few of you in here...

I don't really think that they're morons. I know they're probably fitness experts in many regards, but I do not feel that they are obesity experts. Why do I say this? Did anyone notice that now that they are several weeks into this season that at least 1/2 of the contestants are wearing some kind of knee brace?

Please allow a layman to give them a clue: a 400lb man should not be RUNNING. Not now, not yet, not at all while at that weight. Not until he gets his weight down to a level that won't cause severe and PERMANENT joint damage. They are NOT doing a service to these people by doing joint damage to them with high-impact exercise at weights 2-4x that of normal.

Those of you here who are athletes of average weight, let me ask you this: If you had to carry a man/woman of your size ON YOUR BACK, would you then jump up and down on a platform, run a hard mile, scale up and down hills at fill tilt while holding yet more weights or objects? INSANITY.

Look, an average 150lb man exerts 450-600lbs on his feet during every step while running. A 400lb man exerts 1,200-1,600 on his foot with each step while running. That goes all the way up through the knees and hips.

I cannot believe that these people are paid to do this. They need obesity experts there, not 24hr fitness trainers, hired primarily for personality and good looks.

-Z

You are so right on the mark. I really get discouraged with this show because it gives out real unhealthy messages on fat loss with built in drama for ratings. They don't even go over composition which is crutial in a plan to know what the heck you are losing, muscle or fat. The truth be known that if they did show the composition stats, they would set themselves up (the trainers) to look like they don't have a clue what they are doing. PLUS, with weight loss (whatever it is they are really losing) in an extreme and quick way as on the show - they are going to deal with incredible loose skin which they are already up against, so this approach is really setting them up.

I would NEVER NEVER put an obese client on an impact cardio program. LIke how is that running on the treadmill? Of course your going to blow out knees and have hip and back problems. The integrity around the joints are already compromised from all the weight and then they are going to pound the joints with all that pressure. Jilian (the past trainer) was the worst. Sorry....

Don't get me started LOL

One P.S. - by the way - how are they addressing the fact that every single one of them has an eating and metabolic disorder. Do they go over that? Ummmm....they all still think it is about control....tell that same trip to an alcoholic which is not far from a food addict. Trust me, I am both and in recovery from both for over 19 years.

Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    Free Online Fitness Trainer
    From 170 lbs. to Fit
    If I Can Do It, So Can You!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    As a Personal Trainer myself, there are many exercises that shouldn't be done by those whose bodies can't accommodate the stress it puts on it. But it is reality TV and with as many overweight and obese people out there, it has an audience. And this audience likes to believe that you can lose HUGE weight quickly (months). In order for that to happen, the contestants are pushed beyond what might be safe compared to real life training.
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    the exercise has always puzzled me...but the huge weight losses in the short amount of time is what baffles me. if most doctors tell you a weight loss of 1-2# weekly is the healthy way to go...why isn't it for them too? i just don't get it
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

Hysterical. Thanks for the great laugh! :laugh:
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    But if they didn't run on the treadmill they wouldn't have the great camera shots of people flying off the end because they really can't do it. I think that's the greatest part of the show.

In all seriousness though, I started running when I weight 336 lbs. I didn't suffer a single injury. The key is how you do it and where you do it. Most of the running I did was on a treadmill because it's cushioned (you really do kinda bounce). I can tell you that my knees and ankles are a mess from carrying a bunch of weight not because I started running.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

This made me laugh cuz it's what I said in the beginning. I never thought she was that great of a tennis player. Granted, she's wayyyyy better than me and many people but as far as professional athletes go I thought she was an overrated tennis player.
    I thought she was gonna annoy me on the show but I am surprised I actully like her. I would love to run those tennis drills with her any day and I love how she told that one guy to be a man, or however she put it. They were all being babies on that episode where they got different trainers so I loved her attitude.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Oh how I could go on about this subject. One of the biggest things about "reality" television is, it's not real. You have to remember all the things you don't see on camera. The biggest loser isn't about losing weight safely or losing it in a way that is healthy or sustainable, it's about rating and advertising dollars. It's a game show.

I personally think that shows like the biggest loser are dangerous. I felt the same way of Oprah. People see this crap on tv and just assume it's valid information. After all, Oprah wouldn't lie to us.

Also, look at the surrounding these people are in. They have a full time, on sight medical staff, personal trainers, dietitians and who knows who else behind the cameras. To be on the show you have to sign your life away (literally) and tell them your family won't sue if you drop dead. If they did it the right way it would take much longer for these people to drop the pounds and that just doesn't make good television.

Television shows are for entertainment purposes only.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm able to do relatively high-impact exercises and I'm 320 lbs. I don't run yet, but I do 30DS which includes the jumping jacks etc. Aside from some shin splint issues early on that have since gone away, I don't have any joint or knee issues.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I can do some impact exercises at 270. I can do jumping jacks (though the girls don't like it), but running gives me shin splints. I got fitted for good shoes, so I don't think it's the shoes. I think I'm just not built for running, at least at this weight. So I guess I am in somewhat agreement with OP that it is definitely hard on the knees and shins when you are carrying that much weight
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    My joint issues came before the weight, I'm just lucky that way.