mashed potatoes

Options
I was trying to add mashed potatoes from the database. It appears as anything from 78 to 237 calories, all for home mashed potatoes with butter and milk. How do I know what to use? It's one scoop of mashed potato with a small amount (les then an ounce divided between five people) of butter and a splash of milk.

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I would add the ingredients separately. Or add it as a recipe and add how many servings you had.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    for those things i dont count on them, i just build my own recipe and then figure out the portion sizes from there and boom, calorie count. lots of people use whole milk, or put sour cream or cheeses or bacon and other crap. better to just build your recipe and do it from there. 95% of my calories are counted that way.
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    if you are preparing from scratch you can make a recipe for it on your page. add what kind of potatoes you are boiling, any seasonings, milk/cream/etc, and butter along with the measurements. amount of servings it contains & then it will show you it's caloric value
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I build my own recipe too.

Btw, instead of milk/butter - try adding FF chicken broth and 2 tablespoons of butter, garlic powder (or roasted garlic). Lower calorie mashed taters and they taste great!

Or you can check skinnytaste.com or Hungry Girl for lower cal mashed potato recipes. :)
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I made them last night. I searched mashed potatoes skim and found one that just had that. There were some that had cheese and bacon and stuff but there were a couple that just had the spuds and milk, like I made them.
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to add it as your own recipe if you plan on cooking it again it will save you the struggle of trying to figure out others with out their list of ingredients. I use Steamfresh Cauliflower in light garlic sauce and blend well in food processor with a little butter for my potatoes. My family likes them better than reg potatoes a lot less carbs. Good Luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I always take the time to make my own recipe. It doesn't take that long and if you make it the same way every time you can continue to use it and it'll be quicker in the future. If my mom or grandma cooks I ask what's in it. If it's a stranger or acquaintence I try to use a restaurant recipe that's similar just in case they use high fat ingredients, and I try to eat a small portion.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I make my own recipe too for that reason. I just made some red skin mashed potaotes, I used 5 small potatoes with 1/2 cup of fat free milk and 1 tbsp of butter and it made 3 cups and I put it at 3 servings so each serving was 1 cup and it totalled out to be about 218.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Make your own recipe in your recipes and add a serving. If you save it it will be there anytime you make it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to add it as your own recipe if you plan on cooking it again it will save you the struggle of trying to figure out others with out their list of ingredients. I use Steamfresh Cauliflower in light garlic sauce and blend well in food processor with a little butter for my potatoes. My family likes them better than reg potatoes a lot less carbs. Good Luck!

I keep meaning to try this - sounds really good.
  • riam32
    Options
    Thanks. i've been adding recipes for soups and dinners but hadn't thought of doing one for potatoes but I will now. sorry for the stupid question, I only joined yesterday and I'm still finding my way around.
  • engol
    engol Posts: 12
    Options
    Think it's a fair question Riam32 and we certainly seem to have the answer... Make your own recipe anyone? :D

I've a follow up though that might be relevant. I've been making my own recipes too; but is it not true that some foods are less calories after cooking? I've been adding my raw ingredients to my recipe and then just dividing up. But it says nothing about the cooking. What happens or what is the best way to approach this end of things?

Sorry for the hijack Riam32, but maybe relevant to you also?