can't quit quitting....

Options
i know i want to get back on track ... but it's easier (even though it's less satisfying) to slack off .... I'm great at keeping aspects of my life in line .. finances and my job and such ... but when it comes to me ... my weight ... i let it go. i NEVER stick with anything ... i lost 20lbs and 36.5 inches in two months just by eating right and only worked out 10 or less times ..... and STILL quit cold turkey. just stopped for no reason. AAAHHH i need to figure out what this "no reason" really is, or i'm never going to succeed .... any suggestions??

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    i know i want to get back on track ... but it's easier (even though it's less satisfying) to slack off .... I'm great at keeping aspects of my life in line .. finances and my job and such ... but when it comes to me ... my weight ... i let it go. i NEVER stick with anything ... i lost 20lbs and 36.5 inches in two months just by eating right and only worked out 10 or less times ..... and STILL quit cold turkey. just stopped for no reason. AAAHHH i need to figure out what this "no reason" really is, or i'm never going to succeed .... any suggestions??

I would suggest slowing your pace down and trying to lose weight at a reasonable pace, so you can eat more food and hopefully do it in a more enjoyable fashion. 2.5lbs/week is quite fast and I'm not surprised that you didn't stick to it, no offense.

You need to set up a long term plan.
  • oaken
    oaken Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How about not focusing on what the "reason" is and simply get back on the bandwagon?

You might want to see a therapist (no offense) to help you figure out your "reasons" are. Sometimes talking them out with someone you trust could help figure out the WHY's. There might be reasons that you are unaware of. Reasons that someone can help you figure out. I believe in therapy - I don't see it as something that only "crazy" people do. I think therapy is healthy.

But for now, stop focusing on the WHY's and just do the DO's! You know your success so far, you know you can be successful and that you can do this because you've already shown your potential!!! There's no better time to figure out the WHY's, than while you are DOING.

Best of luck to you!
  • julieban1
    julieban1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, even with eating the proper amount of calories so that I don't feel deprived or hungry. It's very hard to permanently change my eating habits.
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sidesteal. I was in your position and the same thing happened. I took a break to satisfy my wants then jumped back on it slowly. Do half and half, it's easier... then after a week or two, bump up your healthy side. Don't rush because a rebound will occur. Don't deny yourself either. My biggest problem the first time was focusing on what I can't have or can't do. Now, I only think about what I can have and can do. The change of mind made everything easier too!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Even with a ton of success, compliments, encouragement, increase in self-esteem... the old habits come back and I quit. Would love to read the responses to this thread.
  • jbmcash
    jbmcash Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree I would definitely add exercise into the mix, for me I find after several weeks I get bored with my routine, so you can always change your exercise routine up, there are great exercises online if your stuck that you can do at home with free weights. Keep logging your intake on my fitness pal & reach out to others before your at the point of quitting. Best of luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I also agree with sidesteal. I've tried and failed at several weight loss attempts because I was WAY too gung ho and tried to cut out "bad" foods and work out like crazy then after a month or so of that, I'd get burned out and quit. This time around I finally figured out that I need to look at this as a long term life change and I need to be able to eat normal foods and still lose weight.

That's really why I love MFP - if you concentrate mostly on calories (with the occassional glance at sodium/fats/carbs), you can still lose and get more healthy without completely depriving yourself.

Planning is a huge thing too. I try to plan meals and snacks for the week before I go grocery shopping on the weekend. This way, there's no temptation and I know ahead of time about how many calories I need to burn in the gym every day to try to get as close as I can to my calorie goal.

One more hint - stop focusing on that number on the scale and think more about fitness and healthy eating goals - the weight will follow!

Stop worrying so much about the why and start making small changes for a healthier you.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Just don't stop logging. Even if you only have 1 good day it's better then nothing.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just don't stop logging. Even if you only have 1 good day it's better then nothing.
    This..and you have to LOOK at what you are doing to your food intake. I always quit and haven't quit this yet. I DO NOT WANT TO DIE because I eat awful and am fat. I use that as motivation. Even if I am just not feeling up to doing whatever, I still log and remind myself death due to poor health just can't be. I still have 38 pounds to go..and when I am done with that, I have to quit smoking. i decided one thing at a time. Make your weight as important as your finances and job. After all, it is your life that will benefit so that you get to be with those you love longer.
  • anetap2000
    anetap2000 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i appreciate all of the tips and advice. i have tried to jump into it, and have failed. i've tried one thing at a time, easing my way into it ... and failed. I have succeeded, and kept succeeding, had all of the motivation in the world ( 20lbs down in a short time, over 3' in feet lost ... my wedding and honeymoon cruise all in sight)...... and still quit. for ZERO reason what so ever. so it doesn't matter how i start ... i know what has worked for me to get on track. it's the STAYING on it that i have trouble with. it isn't even that i have a bad day and cheat myself, feel overly bad about it, then fall off. i just wake up one day, say "ok, i don't feel like doing this anymore, even though it works, even though i feel healthier than i have in a long time, even though i've been so proud of my progress and look great, even though all of my clothes are loose..... even though all of these are true, i don't feel like doing it anymore." and then that's that. i'll stop, still KNOWING that it's the wrong thing to do. yet i'll do it anyway.

i'm seriously a lost cause.
  • leannelately
    leannelately Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. It's hard to be in control of so much in your life but not be able to control your weight, even though you KNOW what you need to do.

I agree with the other posters about talking to someone. I have an appointment next month to talk to a therapist and see if we can figure out WHY I can't make this change.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i'm honestly considering the same....