What do you absolutely avoid in the ingredients list on food

Options

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Anything with White flour and artificial sweetners.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I avoid soy, because I have a soy intolerance. I see no reason why it would be a problem for other people, however. I also have to avoid milk, because of a lactose intolerance.

Other than that, I think everything in moderation is your best bet. Most people will be fine with whatever they eat as long as calories in is less than calories out.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Lard
    lizard tails
    baby brains
    roach feces
    feces of any kind actually.
    nutmeg.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you are plainly trying to lose weight, try to avoid wheat (wheat is not the same as gluten). Wheat causes you to store fat and causes bloating.

Avoid soy as well, it has somewhat similar effects of wheat

Silly me. I thought a calorie excess made us store fat.

So if i eat 1200 cals a day of wheat, i'll store it as fat :(

This is completely false.

Which part, the wheat or the excess calories?

The wheat and soy part. If you eat excess calories, it will store as fat. But 1200 is the bare minimum -- you should be eating more than that if you're active.
  • SimpleStepsHealthCoach
    Options
    I can't resist mentioning this since it just came up in another thread, but all of you people saying that you absolutely avoid artificial colors or anything not coming from nature... Natural Red #4 ( AKA Carmine, Crimson Lake, Cochineal) is a completely natural dye... it's made from Cochineal insects. It doesn't bother me, but I know a lot of people who insist on natural colorings who then aren't happy to find out that this natural coloring is made from an insect.

Greetings Wynterbourne,

You make a great point about natural coloring. For those who don't know, artificial dyes are considered Blue 1 & 2, Green 3, Red 3 & 40, Yellow 5 & 6, and Caramel Coloring. The natural dyes are Annatto, Beta carotene, Carmine, Saffron, Turmeric, and Indigo (however now Indigo is made synthetically).

Carmine, as Wynterbournemention before, is a colored pigment extract from a female insect that is commonly found in Mexico. When processed, Carmine (Red #4) displays a deep magenta color while the cheaper alternative, Red 40, displays an orange-red color. Carmine is primary used in certain candy, jams, yogurts, milk, sausages, marinades, sauces, and colas. However, due to the cost of Carmine, most manufactures will use Red #40 over Red #4.

As Wynterbourne stated, Carmine does indeed come from a natural insect that born from the Earth. I believe, the main reasons people avoid it is because it comes from a bug. Most consumers have a problem with consciously consuming an insect, however, what they typically don't know is that most of their processed food contains insect parts which definitely do not make it on any labels. Depending on the ingredient, the FDA allows a certain percentage of insect parts and bug filth fragments that are acceptable during the processing of the ingredient. Processed chocolate is one of the large players that most people do not know contains bug & bug filth fragments.

It's fun learning what is exactly in your food, but for some, it can easily gross them out.

Until next time,
    y.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The wheat and soy part.

HMonsterX was being sarcastic, just FYI :)
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat anything packaged that has more then a couple of ingredients. For instance diced tomatoes I buy the Pomi brand (no can, in a box) so it's just tomato.

Primarily I avoid for myself and my daughter: HFCS, any GMO, soy lecithen (sp?)..really I just look to see how long the ingredient list is. I really try to eat a whole food diet only.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I also avoid, white bread, artificial sweetners--I stick w/ truvia or generic truvia, sodium nitrate, high frucrose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils and alot of the other things listed here.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I can't resist mentioning this since it just came up in another thread, but all of you people saying that you absolutely avoid artificial colors or anything not coming from nature... Natural Red #4 ( AKA Carmine, Crimson Lake, Cochineal) is a completely natural dye... it's made from Cochineal insects. It doesn't bother me, but I know a lot of people who insist on natural colorings who then aren't happy to find out that this natural coloring is made from an insect.

Greetings Wynterbourne,

You make a great point about natural coloring. For those who don't know, artificial dyes are considered Blue 1 & 2, Green 3, Red 3 & 40, Yellow 5 & 6, and Caramel Coloring. The natural dyes are Annatto, Beta carotene, Carmine, Saffron, Turmeric, and Indigo (however now Indigo is made synthetically).

Carmine, as Wynterbournemention before, is a colored pigment extract from a female insect that is commonly found in Mexico. When processed, Carmine (Red #4) displays a deep magenta color while the cheaper alternative, Red 40, displays an orange-red color. Carmine is primary used in certain candy, jams, yogurts, milk, sausages, marinades, sauces, and colas. However, due to the cost of Carmine, most manufactures will use Red #40 over Red #4.

As Wynterbourne stated, Carmine does indeed come from a natural insect that born from the Earth. I believe, the main reasons people avoid it is because it comes from a bug. Most consumers have a problem with consciously consuming an insect, however, what they typically don't know is that most of their processed food contains insect parts which definitely do not make it on any labels. Depending on the ingredient, the FDA allows a certain percentage of insect parts and bug filth fragments that are acceptable during the processing of the ingredient. Processed chocolate is one of the large players that most people do not know contains bug & bug filth fragments.

It's fun learning what is exactly in your food, but for some, it can easily gross them out.

Until next time,
    y.

Oh i definitely try to avoid food coloring especially for my daughter. I really find that it makes her a bit crazier then usual.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Peppers and olives, because I don't like them. Anything else is fair game as long as it fits into my calories and macros.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Trans fats and aspartame are the only things I try to avoid, really. I've heard some bad things about aspartame.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Lard
    lizard tails
    baby brains
    roach feces
    nutmeg.

hahahahahahahah
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Lard
    lizard tails
    baby brains
    roach feces
    nutmeg.

but nutmeg has so much protein....
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Lard
    lizard tails
    baby brains
    roach feces
    nutmeg.

but nutmeg has so much protein....
    Nutmeg is a silent killer!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Lard
    lizard tails
    baby brains
    roach feces
    nutmeg.

hahahahahahahah

thank you. and you too morgan. now i know who my REAL friends are.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I've heard some bad things about aspartame.

That's scaremonger rumours for you. Try looking it up for yourself, and you'll see most, if not all, of the "horrors" are purely exaggerated, unfounded, coincidental or purely made up.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    chicory root extract ( Inulin) gives me uncomfortable gas if I each too much.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The wheat and soy part.

HMonsterX was being sarcastic, just FYI :)

Oh. It's hard to read sarcasm with text =)
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sugar and its many derivative forms
    Grains
    Anything made in a lab.

We only eat whole unprocessed clean food.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Trans fats mainly. Everything else in moderation!