Working out on the road

Options
Loko_Ino
Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
Hey folks, I am going to ATL for a week for training and wanted to see what other people do about their gym clothes. I know they have a little gym and figure I can hit some sort of treadmill or elliptical or maybe even try some running but I don't want to bring a ton of workout clothes. The laundry service in the hotel is pretty spendy. Do you wash them in the sink? Find a laundry mat? Or something else? The place is kind of an industrial park area so not sure about the laundry mat.
Ideas? And thanks!

Replies

• sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd just wash them in the sink, and then hang them up in the bathroom to dry. =] Just make sure you do that as soon as you finish working out, that way they can be ready for your next session the next day!
  • romping
    romping Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I go light and grungy. Tennis shoes, 1 pair shorts, 1 pair socks, 1 tshirt. I generally ditch the shirt while I´m on the machine and use a towel to dry the sweat. Hang the clothes to dry at night in the room. Little nasty by the end of the trip but use little space.
  • webfootcajun
    Options
    i pack a couple of pair of shorts, and wear my t shirt i wore that day for a workout shirt. im usually alone in the gym atthe hotel, but its not a fashion show anyway. safe travels.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I travel about 5 months out of the year for a week at a time. The biggest thing is ensuring you hang up your clothes after you workout. Washing is up to you. Personally I can go 2 or 3 workouts without washing them. At the end of the trip I double wrap them in the hotel laundry bags and pack them up. If your clothes are completely drenched with sweat or wearing a shirt twice bothers you, then wash in the sink. Improvising is key.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Depending on where I go and for how long will dictate what I bring for WO clothes.

If I know I'm going to run indoors (unsafe area, time issues, weather) I usually bring 1 pair of running shorts, 1-2 tanks and a different pair of socks for each planned WO day. I'm not a good TM runner, and can't do more than a 5K before overheating or getting bored. I can typically get away with 1 tank unless it's a week long trip.

If I plan to run/WO outdoors I tend to bring more pants (shorts for indoors JIC, running pants for outdoors) and more tanks/T's depending on weather.

I typically wear my running shoes during the plane travels as they're my bulkier item.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You may want to check to see if the hotel you're staying at has a washer & dryer you can use as well. I've stayed at some that have them on every floor.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Excellent input..thanks everyone.
    I will be there for 5 days and I hear it is cold in ATL this time of year so all indoor for me. I sweat profusely so I am guessing the sink washing will be in order.

Thanks again.
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm responding from a hotel in CA. I'm on day 5 of an 8 day business trip.

I bring enough clothes for half my trip and always plan on doing laundry at the halfway point. So for this 8 day trip I brought enough clothes for 4 days plus what I wore on the plane. Workout clothes are usually made of light material and don't take up alot of room. I didn't even fill half my suitcase and that includes my shoes.

Can you expense your laundry fees?

Tip: Take a styrofoam coffee cup to the housekeeping closet and ask them for laundry soap. They usually will give you enough for a couple loads. If they say "no" go back later and ask someone else.

Another tip: Stay at Candlewood Suites. Their laundry facility is free.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Tip: Take a styrofoam coffee cup to the housekeeping closet and ask them for laundry soap. They usually will give you enough for a couple loads. If they say "no" go back later and ask someone else.

Great tip - I may use that one sometime. Thanks!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Do they have a pool?

Bring a handful of workout Ts and a pair of running shorts (shouldn't take too much room) - jump in the pool and do laps after with your shorts on and then hang dry them. If no pool wash out shorts and hang dry overnight. My husb frequently travels and he runs - this is what he does.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    How about googling the nearest landromat. Maybe it isn't too far.