Rice Krispy Knees

Options
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. Any time I bend at the knees AT ALL (even to sit) it sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispys right after you pour on the milk in my knees. You can imagine what it sounds like to do squats and lunges and such. There is absolutely no pain associated with it.....just the sound. Anyone else experience this? Know what causes it? Know how to possibly fix it?

Replies

• Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    I have the exact same thing occasionally while working out on my stationary bike. So i lowered the resistance level and it stopped. but then came back so I just continued to work out and eventually my body fixed itself.

IDK WHY its doing it either. I will have to ask my Doctor one of these days
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Rice Krispy knees! What a great way to put it!! :-)

I've had that sound in my knees since I was eleven years old, no joke. And I was never overweight until after 30 and pregnancy, so it's not weight-related.

My knees have never been injured, and the crackling doesn't hurt at all, although it does sound queer.

I must say, though - the crackling has gotten worse in the last few months/year or so, and I've noticed that my knees feel...not sore, exactly, but like they're under some stress, when I take stairs and the like. That's actually one of the biggest reasons that I decided that enough is enough - I've got to exercise and drop the extra 20 pounds I'm carrying, because not only do *I* not like it, but my knees are pretty unhappy with it as well.

Now I've just got to figure out how to strengthen the knees without shocking/injuring them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've always had the snap, crackle and pop in just about every joint. Unless it hurts (like my jaw sometimes does) I don't worry about it.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with a coworker.

I've always 'cracked' at the joints. I was told to take Glucosamine Sulfate Supplements. I did and it minimized it. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    One or two or a few snaps/ pops is likely normal and could be for many reasons (like tendons snapping, etc). If there is no pain associated with it, and it doesn't "lock" then I wouldn't be too worried about it. When your joints feel "boggy" or there is a grinding or a long creak (usually with discomfort), it could be crepitus in your joints which is not good and should get looked at.

Normal cracks and pops are okay though!
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Here is somewhat of an answer..google is my friend..lol

In the knees, movements such as suddenly rising from a seated to an upright position, or stretching the knee from a flexed to an extended position can produce this often prominent sound in the joint. Common causes of knee joint popping or cracking include a slight misalignment of the patella (knee cap), or the movement of the different ligament structures across the joint. When the ligaments move, it is often against the bones of the joint, which creates a slight stretching and then mild snapping back to their accustomed position.
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    My trainer said it was just gasses built up that are being released. It really i snot anything to worry about if you have no pain. I sound like I am banging on the wall when I walk up or down staris in the mornings. My ankles are enough to wake someone up.