Anyone trying to lose weight with PCOS?

Options
I am new here. I am 33 years old and I currently weight 258. I have lost 4 lbs so far since Oct 21. However, I have lost 15 inches total all over. I am happy that I am loosing. I am trying to learn how to eat better and I want to be able to change my eating habits so that I can get it off. When I started, my BMI was 44. By losing the inches and the 4 lbs I have lowered my BMI to 42 already. I am needing to lower my BMI to ateast 35 so that I can have a tubal reversal. However, I also have PCOS. Anyone else out there have PCOS and have some sucess with losing?

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    There is a group for this now:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/134-pcos-support-group

:flowerforyou:
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    you might find this link helpful

http://foodhospital.channel4.com/the-truth-about/videos/episode-clip/the-food-hospital-lauren/

the young lady featured has PCOS really bad and the doctor is giving her advice on what to eat to lose weight and help with symptoms
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Me! :happy:
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing i found is if i do not take my meds (in my case it's a BC and metformin) I have a lot of trouble losing weight...BUT I have found when i stay on them (i tend to forget to take my pills, unfortunately) I have a LOT more success losing.

Not the biggest earth shaking tips, but every little bit helps right?
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    you might find this link helpful

http://foodhospital.channel4.com/the-truth-about/videos/episode-clip/the-food-hospital-lauren/

the young lady featured has PCOS really bad and the doctor is giving her advice on what to eat to lose weight and help with symptoms

Thank you for this, I will read later. I am struggling with this and with Adrenal Fatigue! Talk about double threat! I find when I do intense workouts like Tae-Bo that I get the best results and the quickest...good luck.
  • kristina509
    kristina509 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with Suzi, when I am taking my Metformin regularly (which sometimes I forget because I take them at night before bed) I do lose better than without taking it. It also helps me feel better when my hormones are in check.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am glad yo u posted this - because that tiny little med tip was all i have. :happy: I'd like to learn more too!
  • Eve53
    Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and it's a major struggle for me... not just with the weight but everything else that hammers at my self esteem too. I currently am unmedicated, I used to take Metformin and BC but I haven't had insurance for a while so I haven't been back to my doctor. I have had pretty good success with losing weight though. I just stick with my calories and stay active. I lost about 20lbs before I joined MFP, and as you can see about 26 since I joined. I'm nearly at a 50lb loss! So it definitely can be done.

And thanks to the person who posted the link, I definitely want to look into that too. It's really been on my mind lately, and I could use some support as well.
  • Eve53
    Eve53 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Also! I wanna add, that since I've started losing weight regularly my periods have been more regular, so that's a plus! A little TMI, but still a plus!!
  • JessicaV623
    JessicaV623 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Im trying to lose with PCOS. Im really bad with remembering to take my Metformin twice a day. But I do credit most of the 6lbs I've lost to trying to stay on top of it. Im really hoping that with MFP and Metformin, I can finally get down to a weight that will allow me to TTC. (as well as finally be happy with myself)
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS since 1998 and here's what I've found:
    1) BALANCE. It's about moderation. I have no problem putting on muscle (due to the crazy hormonal imbalance) but losing WEIGHT is a struggle still. Yes, it's true - you'll lose a ton of weight if you stop eating carbs. But at the same time, you need to find a balance that is maintainable long term and works for you. Sounds like you're well on the way!
    2) Stay AWAY from any outside forms of estrogen (see balance referenced above). For me, this means limiting my soy intake.
    3) Understand how Stress and your peace of mind comes into play. Stress, fear, anxiety, anger, etc all generate hormone responses. And they WILL help your body lose weight, or help you keep the weight on.
    5) Understand how your sleep cycle works. If you rob your body of rest, everything will be amplified - see #3.

Hang in there!
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    I am! And its so frustrating. I take Metformin 3x/day, which does help maintain my weight but the PCOS makes it so hard to lose. I eat <600 calories everyday, all low-carb, exercise, and my weight just won't budge =/ It really puts a damper on pretty much everything.
  • pollipure
    Options
    A friend of mine has lost over 100lbs in the last year! She too has PCOS. She first began by taking Zumba classes several times a week- she had moderate weight loss from this. After several months she found a personal trainer online. Her weight just pealed off! He gave her a weight lifting routine to follow 2-3x a week as well as a diet plan. She also takes Kickboxing 1-2x a week and zumba. She takes one day off a week for rest. Her goal is to get to 140 in one month- at that time she has to have an ovary removed ( due to PCOS). She is only 5lbs away( last week she lost a whopping 4lbs!).
    Good luck! it's so doable!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yup!
    Im a severe case of PCOS having a Charlie Sheen moment... IM WINNING! LOL!

In all seriousness though, in one year I have dropped approximately 65lbs... of that, 16.4 were done with the use of MFP's site. I have a great Endocrinologist who has found some very interesting issues with me, found that I have a metabolic disorder and has been a great source of help with my medical issues...

I know that I will need some reconstructive work done once I have reached my goal weight - and Im ok with that...

Im even inspired to create a cookbook for PCOS/Insulin Resistance folks and have been cooking like a mad-woman as well! I work as a Chef for a living and the Executive Chef and his team are AWESOME to let me give suggestions for changing things up a bit.... And, the support of my husband being unconditional... My work-related husbands (Chefs, Line Cooks), my husband at home, and my Endo are part of my 'Tackling Fuel"... and I love them all!!!
  • ParkersMomma2010
    ParkersMomma2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    PCOS here having success losing weight. Unmedicated as well as I am not insulin resistant so one of the fortunate PCOSers. However still very difficult to lose weight and so very easy to gain ugh! Feel free to add me :)
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am! And its so frustrating. I take Metformin 3x/day, which does help maintain my weight but the PCOS makes it so hard to lose. I eat <600 calories everyday, all low-carb, exercise, and my weight just won't budge =/ It really puts a damper on pretty much everything.

So if I understand this right, you are eating less than 600 calories a day. Your body needs fuel otherwise it will shut down. You should be eating a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day.
  • crystalregier
    crystalregier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well....it is really difficult. But keep at it...it will come off and you will find that your symptoms from the PCOS will all but diminish. Good luck
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    My fiance used to be obese and has kept her weight down. In fact, she started bulking up a little, but has lost 15 lbs. It's harder, but not impossible.
  • allofourdreams
    allofourdreams Posts: 107 Member
    Options

that is definitely not enough calories to eat in a day.. you know they calculate it for you on here so you'll get the best results? you could be starving your body and any/all nutrients and fat it takes it, it might be storing.. hindering your weight loss. you really need to check out BMR under the "TOOLS" section.. that's how many calories your body burns just by living..
  • Trotty2004
    Trotty2004 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I've lost 56lbs since Jan. Its been very slow going but I figure at least its going. I work out twice as hard/long as my friends and see half the results on the scale. I do notice that I lost more inches than them probably due to muscle gain at the same time as fat loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!