Men Vs. Women weight loss

Options
I was just wondering about this. I've had this talk with my significant other, and he thinks it's the same for men and women. My opinion is that it's different for men than it is for women. He's in semi decent shape, and I'm a little bit smaller. We recently introduced a "life style change" for us, we've both put weight on since moving in together. So, we're going to change the way we eat at home. I'm exercising more than I have in the past, and the weight is coming off nicely. He doesn't exercise and he's losing the same amount of weight. I just want to know if there is anything that has been proven that marks a difference between men vs women losing weight.

I just feel like it is easier for men. Men go threw puberty to gain muscle, women go threw it to gain boobs and prepare for child birth (in some cases, this means wider hips) Muscle burns more calories while relaxing, so it seems that men would just automatically burn more than women.

thoughts and opinions welcome. Thanks to anyone who can help clear this up for me. :)

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Women have way worse hormonal issues do deal with that makes weight loss more difficult.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    But on the other hand, all the hormonal stuff that makes it hard for women to lose weight protects our cardiovascular system until we hit menopause. Swings and roundabouts.
  • harempants
    harempants Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that women have a harder time losing weight. Our bodies are designed to keep the weight on in case we become pregnant (you know how you are supposed to put on additional weight during a pregnancy). Since this isn't an issue for men, they are not geared to keep it on in the same way. I think you are right about the muscle, too. This is why a man typically has a higher RDI of calories than a woman of the same size.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    From my own personal observations women seem to find it harder to shed kilos than men - we also have hormonal things (particularly with PMS/pregnancy and so on) that make us retain a lot of fluid.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think in general men can lose more easily than women its just in their design they were designed for the hunt so naturally need to have more muscle and be faster, women were designed to bear children and gather so they didnt need to be as fast or have as much muscle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But we dont exactly live a caveman lifestyle anymore so i think for some men it can be harder these days with allot of jobs that require sitting at a desk and computers taking on most of the manual labour and with the types of food that we now eat its starting to become just as hard for some men who arent naturally very muscley or big and the food and extra weight men seem to have these days also seem to be playing havoc with their hormones making it harder

* just to add i dont mean i think men have a harder time than women ,, womens pms hormones and the natural instict to put on weight so that we can carry children do make it harder ,,,, just saying that it isnt as easy for men as it once was
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    First muscle burns calories, so a higher muscle mass burns more calories, on top of hormonal issues. most likely he has more muscle then you do so that is giving him an edge right there alone.
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Men are typically larger and have more muscle than women (not 100% but generally speaking). Both of those things mean that men will typically have a higher BMR than women. As a result, if you and your boyfriend are eating the same diet, he will burn more of the calories without exercising than you would.
  • 3ricaAnn
    3ricaAnn Posts: 288
    Options
    My husband eats 2200 calories a day and I eat 1290ish. He has lost 25 pounds in 2 1/2 months not doing any exercise and I have lost 18 and its taken me the entire year!
  • Asharp22
    Asharp22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is similar to me and him. I aim to hit within 15 calories of 1200 where as he eats 1500-1800 calories in a day. He is more muscular than me, although I work out more. I just find it extremely frustrating that he thinks it should take me the same minimal effort he's putting into it to lose the same amount of weight.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Yep chicks lose slower..... I've lost 12.4 lbs in 3 weeks while this chick I know lost only 3 lbs over 3 months that training for a half Marathon... and I know she prob eats as much as I'm eating now...
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Women tend to lose slower and fluctuate far more than men do. My weight fluctuates 8-10 lbs throughout the month. My husband's weight is constant within 1-2 lbs.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    my bf dropped 20 without even noticing it when I started dieting (he wasn't even trying) but then his weight absolutely plateaued because he wasn't trying.

Honestly its easier for people who are TALLER too - they can eat so many more calories that a restaurant meal that blows 3/4 of your calories is like 1/3 of theirs. Especially when you only eat 1200 calories a day.

Although right now I eat nearly as much as he does with my exercise. Some days I get up to 2100 with exercise and I think for him he gets to eat like 2200/day?

The jerk.